The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 03-29-2012, 07:54 PM

In one of his instructional videos, John Standefer suggests working on a picking pattern while watching TV. As you pay more attention to the show, you start to commit your playing to your subconscious. Makes sense, although I haven't tried it yet.
Old 03-31-2012, 10:03 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12tribes View Post
...So…my main question is…

Which fingers should I use? Travis was a thumb + index player. Then I found some Tommy Emmanuel videos, and it looks like he's using all fingers except pinky. I'm leaning towards Tommy's technique.

The second question is…

Is it vitally important to 'glue' a finger to the body for reference? It really seems to help me lock into position, but I don't want to be limiting myself unnecessarily.

Really appreciate any suggestions or advice.

Craig
HI Craig...
Thom Bresh has a DVD out on Travis Picking - and he's Travis's son.

Like Father Like Son - CLiCK

He plays Thumb-n-3, but can reduce it to Thumb-n-one. There are 3 (or 4) styles of fingerstyle guitar.
  • Thumb-n-one
  • Thumb-n-two
  • Thumb-n three
  • And Thumb-n-four (John Carlini Jazz player from NY uses all four)

It is also not essential to use a thumb pick, though some do all the time while others move the picks in and out.

In addition, you can replicate all these techniques with a Flat pick plus fingers (called hybrid picking).

It is not critical to lock the fingers down, just because Merle did.

But touching a pinky to the top won't hurt anything, (nor mute the top). There is a lot of debate on the issue, but reality is even Tommy Emmanuel is a pinky dropper.

Many highly skilled players touch the pinky down as a place finder (like the home row of keys on a typing keyboard).

Hope this helps...

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 04-16-2012, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12tribes View Post
Hello,
Been playing acoustic/electric guitar for many years, but just started 'Travis-Picking' about 2 weeks ago.

Loving it, but before I start building too many habits…I want to lockdown the fingerpicking technique.

Right now, I'm focusing on learning these 2 things…
1. 'Dust In The Wind' - loved this tune from my younger days, and the chording seems easy enough. Making some headway here.

2. Following exercise #12 from this link: http://www.guitarhabits.com/16-legen...king-patterns/

So…my main question is…

Which fingers should I use? Travis was a thumb + index player. Then I found some Tommy Emmanuel videos, and it looks like he's using all fingers except pinky. I'm leaning towards Tommy's technique.

The second question is…

Is it vitally important to 'glue' a finger to the body for reference? It really seems to help me lock into position, but I don't want to be limiting myself unnecessarily.

Really appreciate any suggestions or advice.

Craig
I've been using Mark Hanson's Travis Picking book too. As to the fingers to use, I use all the thumb and all the fingers, except the pinky.

Personally, I'm not a big fan of anchoring your pinky on the face of the guitar. Pete Huttlinger explains that the face of the guitar is the soundboard, so if you place your finger on it there could be some interferance. Those are probably not his exact words, but you get the idea. I think it just forms a dependency that can be restrictive.

Then again, you'll find others who take a different stance.

Martin 00-28
Cordoba C9
Yairi FY70CE
KoAloha Tenor Ukulele
KALA Tenor

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Tags
fingerpicking, technique, travis