The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 07-02-2019, 03:02 PM

For me, getting a song to sound correct while doing a solo rendition of a band arrangement almost always involves some compromise. I want to the listener to have a sense of what the rhythm section is doing, so the bass and drums must be hinted at; often a combination of two guitar parts have to be melded together; finally, whatever hooks that are played by horns or keys have to be lifted as well. It’s impossible to do it all at once, or perfectly (even if you’re someone as skilled and musical as Pete Huttlinger or Tuck Andress or Don Ross).

As an example, I play All My Loving. The “correct” way to play the main rhythm part is to tremolo strum the chords a la John Lennon, but to me that doesn’t capture the feel of the song as well as compromising to cover the rhythm guitar, bassline and drumbeat - and then the rockabilly solo. It’s not right, but it sounds best.

I play songs in different tunings, in different keys and use whatever pedals I have to in order to get it to work. Sometimes I’ll go through a couple of different renditions before I find what works for me. My repertoire often includes songs that don’t immediately lend themselves to an acoustic arrangement, but I believe that most songs can be communicated with our simple instrument.

2018 Furch D31TSR
2008 Martin OMCRE
1992 Takamine EAN20C
1996 Fender Telecaster w/ Barden Nashville set
1986 Charvel Model 5
2005 Art & Lutherie Ami
1980ish Hohner copy of a 'burst

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write