The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN

Old 05-21-2019, 10:18 AM
Charter Member

Default Molly Smiled

So I caught Molly Tuttle's show in NYC last night. The Mercury Lounge in NYC is a SRO room. I wouldn't recommend that place for baby boomers or pre baby boomers.

Dee White opened the show with some smooth vocals, some originals, and interesting arrangements of country standards. He provided an adequate opening but I think he should vary tempo and tonics a bit. The songs all blended together . He lost me after three tunes.

Molly showed up like a star, in a bright orange dress, like the one in the recent promo photos. She pumped some serious energy into the room by picking up the tempo and showing off some guitar skills. She structured and presented the songs like a pro using her vocals, her band, the character of the room along with superb guitar skills. She pulled off a first rate performance. She was paying attention to her music teachers in her younger days.

I may have watched a flat picker with a quicker and more accurate picking hand, but I don't recall the time, place or player. Her right hand appear as a blur when she got the cross-picking going. She wins my number one favorite flat picker spot.

If Molly's tour comes close to your area, catch the show. The next time around you might need to take out a mortgage to buy tickets.

Oh yeah, twice she looked right at me and smiled. Do you think it was the photographer's lens perched just over my right shoulder?

Last edited by k_russell; 05-21-2019 at 10:56 AM.
Old 05-21-2019, 10:30 AM

Molly is definitely one of the greats! I would love to go to one of her shows.

I think she likes you.
Old 05-21-2019, 01:26 PM

Give this a watch to see her in action and explain a little of the magic.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=awFeDMNiKX4

Blues
Old 05-21-2019, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_russell View Post

So I caught Molly Tuttle's show in NYC last night. The Mercury Lounge in NYC is a SRO room.
Here's Molly Tuttle live in action--on May 20. 2019 (according to the poster, the very day of that individual's Molly Tuttle concert attendance), at Paste Studio NYC from The Manhattan Center.

Old 05-21-2019, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_russell View Post
She was paying attention to her music teachers in her younger days.

And that was probably her dad Jack as he’s an excellent player of anything with strings and had all the Tuttle kids playing their behinds off at a very very young age
Old 05-22-2019, 08:14 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlieb View Post
And that was probably her dad Jack as he’s an excellent player of anything with strings and had all the Tuttle kids playing their behinds off at a very very young age

She also studied at Berkeley. She has finely honed her presentation skills.
Old 05-27-2019, 03:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inyo View Post
Here's Molly Tuttle live in action--on May 20. 2019 (according to the poster, the very day of that individual's Molly Tuttle concert attendance), at Paste Studio NYC from The Manhattan Center.

Thanks for posting. That was fun to watch - but I didn’t care for the sound mix. The electric guitar was too loud and Molly’s acoustics were too low.
Old 05-27-2019, 04:30 AM

Well looks like she toughed it out au natural...mic only, not plugged in for this show.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN