The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 09-10-2014, 05:17 PM

Default ID Assistance - Older MIJ Classical with no label

Hi all-

I popped into Goodwill today to see if they had any treasure happened upon an older MIJ classical. It looks like it might have a solid top and solid rosewood back and sides, but I'm not 100% sure yet. It was filthy and had experienced some exposure to water many, many years ago, but it seems to have actually held up fairly well considering. Structural issues are a bit of perfing missing where the neck meets the back and some ripppling glue/seam between the body and the neck, which may or may not be a problem. It was strung with 5 strings in the store and the action was a little high, but not horrible. It sounded quite nice.

The interior label was removed at some point, so there's only 2 markings to go off of... On the top, rear of the headstock it's labelled "Japan" and in the interior of the guitar there's what appears to be a "10" stamped just below the top. There could be a 3rd #, but it's fuzzy.

I'll attach some pics and hopefully someone has an idea of what it is. If it's worth fixing up, I may do it.

Thanks!

Lee

Edited to add: I should have noted the binding is rosewood on the front and back of the guitar and the position markers are inlaid mother of pearl dots.

Last edited by infiniteposse; 09-10-2014 at 05:41 PM.
Old 09-10-2014, 05:18 PM

The last pics:

Old 09-10-2014, 06:41 PM

I'd guess it's a Crestwood. Has similar features to one I have, including that same JAPAN stamp. Mine is a model 2018, laminated top. Your guitar is made with fancier binding and woods.

Good luck!
Old 09-10-2014, 07:22 PM

Headstock is a quasi FLETA design.
Old 09-10-2014, 08:11 PM

I had a Japanese guitar that was made in the early 70s that looked almost exactly like that - binding, finish, fretwork, wood, even the ornate tuning machine buttons. "Coronet" was the name on the label. All laminated woods. I imagine guitars from the same factories in Japan were sold under many brand names during that time period depending on regional wholesale/retail distribution chains.
Old 09-11-2014, 05:13 PM

Thanks for all of the feedback. This is more challenging than I thought it'd be. Just when I thought sussing out Japanese made electrics was challenging.
Old 09-14-2014, 05:45 PM

I have to agree with "Dave70". I believe it's a Crestwood also. I had a Crestwood that someone gave to my brother while he was in the service back in the 70's. It sat for 30 years then he gave it to me.

All the decals on the bridge and the headstock, look like the one I had; as does the rosette. The wood on the back and sides look very similar.

It's a bottom of the food chain guitar, but for what it was, it was decent. I sold it for a $100, 7 or 8 years ago. I don't think they have appreciated.

Tom

Herk Favilla Mahogany Classical, 1960's
Alvarez Yairi CYM 95, 2004
Dauphin DS65CE, 1992

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical