The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 04-28-2013, 07:40 PM

Default Wondering if I can get some help on strings for a hammered dulcimer

I'm not sure if this is exactly the correct forum to come to, but I hope it counts! (Tried signing up for everythingdulcimer but they've yet to validate my account.)

So I'm fairly new to hammered dulcimers. I bought mine at a flea market. It's a Round Family JRD-2 model size 10/11, made in 1983. I contacted the location nearest me about strings, though they had never heard of the company and suggested I call them to find out which gauge of string I need. Well the problem is, the company stopped in the 90's, so I'm currently at a loss about the strings I'd need. Does anyone know of somewhere where I could find this out? Or is there some gauge that might fit it best according to it's size? Thanks for reading.
Old 04-29-2013, 02:01 AM

The only thing I know about dulcimers is that I want one, but as I'm currently reading for exams and, just like every good student, take advantage of all opportunities to procrastinate, I found this.

http://www.strothers.com/string_choice.htm
Old 04-29-2013, 08:01 AM

Give a call to the good folks at Dusty Strings in Seattle. They have strings for all types and sizes of dulcimers in stock.

www.dustystrings.com

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Tags
dulcimer, gauge, hammered dulcimer, string