The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-19-2019, 12:44 AM

Made for guitars (not furniture) with a gloss finish.

“Voted 1 of 20 Best Music Products by US Dealers
– Music Inc. Magazine”

The first one step answer to effortlessly achieving a show perfect shine. An ultra slick, streak free, high shine gloss magnifier, organically formulated to clean, polish, wax and protect for gloss finishes. The Guitar ONE is infused with white Brazilian carnauba wax that delivers an acoustically transparent durable shield with a high gloss shine that protects your instrument's finish. Safe on all lacquer finishes including nitrocellulose. Not recommended for matte finishes. Musicians, repair shops, guitar techs, instrument makers and collectors around the world use our most popular guitar care polish, The Guitar ONE. We just made guitar care and maintenance easier, while not compromising on quality.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird

Last edited by Brucebubs; 07-19-2019 at 12:50 AM.
Old 07-19-2019, 02:59 AM

They have some good products and at present I am using their Guitar Detailer and Guitar Wax which is close to your Guitar One polish as it has UV protection and white Brazilian carnauba wax

Product features: https://www.musicnomadcare.com/Products/Guitar-Wax/

Last edited by PaulRF; 07-19-2019 at 03:06 AM.
Old 07-19-2019, 03:08 AM

Gibson pump polish is my favourite. It leaves absolutely no residue, which I find most others can.
Old 07-19-2019, 03:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
Virtuoso polish is fine, just use it sparingly and not all that often. The main enemy here is going rub-a-dub-dub with polish and oiling the fingerboard every time you change your strings (unless you go six months to a year between string changes.) Using these products sparingly and only once in a very great while is your best course of action; thinking that slathering oil on the fretboard and shining everything up with polish every two weeks or so is (most definitely) not.

Dealing with haze in the finish is more problematic. I’ve never had that particular problem myself, but I do know that it’s not easy to get rid of. I would take that to a pro to deal with, either that or learn to live with it. I’ve never heard or read of any of home solutions for that problem that either work or - here’s the scary part - don’t make things worse.

So if it bothers you enough to take action, then take the guitar to a repair tech with experience working with nitrocellulose lacquer finishes. That’s what’s on your D-35, and what you have is finish haze. It’s not uncommon, and if your guitar tech has experience dealing with it, that’s your best bet.

Hope this helps.

Wade Hampton Miller
Wade, this may sound bizarre but I had the haze problem show up on a Martin CEO-4R-very noticeable on the dark part of the sunburst. I tried a product called Duraglit, metal polish-impregnated wadding, and it worked. Now, I'm not recommending it because that was years ago and the formulation may have changed in the interim; I wouldn't want someone else's guitar ruined.
Old 07-19-2019, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewG View Post
Wade, this may sound bizarre but I had the haze problem show up on a Martin CEO-4R-very noticeable on the dark part of the sunburst. I tried a product called Duraglit, metal polish-impregnated wadding, and it worked. Now, I'm not recommending it because that was years ago and the formulation may have changed in the interim; I wouldn't want someone else's guitar ruined.
This is one where I have to disagree with Wade as well. Maybe disagree is the wrong word but I found an alternative for the guitar haze syndrome...a "home remedy", if you will.
I had some very bad haze on my J45 caused by sweat and lotion. I was able to remove it with the Meguiars X20 Scratch Remover and some serious elbow grease. This product does not hurt nitro finishes. I posted about this product earlier. The Meguiars also works extremely well on the light scratches that occur on "burst" finishes and are unavoidable.
I also occasionally use some GHS "Guitar Gloss" which does not leave any residue. It gets rid of fingerprints and light smudges.

I'm not going to tell anyone what to do with their instrument. If you choose to use the Meguiars,do so at your own risk.

It's your choice, but I think there are some old notions about hurting guitar finishes that persist. There are products out there today that work.
All I know is from my own experience. I certainly wouldn't do this on guitars that cost over $2000 if it didn't work.
BTW, the folks at Lays Guitar in Akron told me what they use to buff out haze is virtually the same thing as the Meguiars.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster

Last edited by rokdog49; 07-19-2019 at 06:15 AM.
Old 08-09-2019, 08:22 AM

I use the Stewart MacDonald restoration cleaner and a soft cotton cloth. The product is a little pricey compared to some others but it has no silicone in it and does a great job. Also the price is reflective of the size of the bottle. You can clean and polish for years.
Old 08-09-2019, 01:57 PM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

I use this one, sparingly, and it works great.

https://www.amazon.com/Players-Guita...language=en_US

Best,
Jayne
Old 08-09-2019, 07:16 PM
Charter Member

Music Nomad ONE... most impressed I've been by any sort of cleaner/polish/wax in decades...

A lightly moistened edge of a diaper or soft cloth is what I use, 95% of the time... every couple years, I'll give him some polisher. Easy to overdo it, even though we mean well...

Play it... doesn't need much grooming (contrary to what we read on this site! Ha!)

"The Cape" (Guy Clark/Jim Janowsky/Susanna Clark)
Old 08-09-2019, 07:44 PM

I use an old white cotton T-shirt and a couple drops of water from my reverse osmosis filter.

Virtually free, and low impact on the environment compared any purchased product.
Old 08-09-2019, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stringjunky View Post
I think microfibre cloths are meant to be used in a wiping action to pick up dust and not for buffing, which is what causes the scratching with them. I've noticed it too. Warm water, washing-up liquid and a soft cloth thoroughly wrung out is a I use then a light buff with yellow dusting cloth or similar is all I use. Pretty much similar to Wade's idea of doing it... less is more.
Yup, no circular motions...back and forth only lightly...Also, apparently not all microfiber cloths are created equal...some are softer than others...
2019 PRS Silver Sky
Old 08-09-2019, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
Virtuoso polish is fine, just use it sparingly and not all that often. The main enemy here is going rub-a-dub-dub with polish and oiling the fingerboard every time you change your strings (unless you go six months to a year between string changes.) Using these products sparingly and only once in a very great while is your best course of action; thinking that slathering oil on the fretboard and shining everything up with polish every two weeks or so is (most definitely) not.

Dealing with haze in the finish is more problematic. I’ve never had that particular problem myself, but I do know that it’s not easy to get rid of. I would take that to a pro to deal with, either that or learn to live with it. I’ve never heard or read of any of home solutions for that problem that either work or - here’s the scary part - don’t make things worse.

So if it bothers you enough to take action, then take the guitar to a repair tech with experience working with nitrocellulose lacquer finishes. That’s what’s on your D-35, and what you have is finish haze. It’s not uncommon, and if your guitar tech has experience dealing with it, that’s your best bet.

Hope this helps.

Wade Hampton Miller
Apparently there is a home solution for dealing with the haze problem, however, it is preventative in nature, not reactive...I have a new nitro guitar arriving in a few weeks. My research and reading suggests that you will never have the problem in the first place if u can get in the habit of quickly and lightly wiping your guitar down after each use...I saw many references to this idea around...A bit of a pain, but probably not too much a big deal if u can religiously get yourself to do it...makes common sense to me so I'm gonna try this approach and see how it goes....when you do the wipe down you apparently want to use distilled water vs tap...
2019 PRS Silver Sky

Last edited by Dbone; 08-09-2019 at 10:30 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion