The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 02-07-2023, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post

https://youtu.be/LXcGz2Q_mLk

This song is a satire about manufactured bands back in about 1966. It was written in 1966 and released in 1967. The song makes it seem as if it's easy to make it in the music business, and of course, it's not. Many will remember Tom Petty doing this song as well as the Byrds.

I had fun with my Rickenbacker 360 12-string on this song. I also had fun with the Byrds' harmony, particularly the 3-part vocals in the 3rd verse.

I doubled each of the vocal parts to get a vocal sound a little more like the Byrds. The doubling was not done electronically, but by actually singing each part twice.

I hope all are well out there -- thank you for listening! - Glenn

So, I’ve always thought Petty’s cover was better than the original. Now, I’m thinking, maybe Glenn’s? (Full disclosure, I didn’t read all 100 or so other comments, so apologies if I’m repeating anything someone else said.)

You were obviously having fun with the jangly guitars - well done!

[insert obligatory flawless Glenn execution comment here]

But what I keep seeing over the last year or so is that you continue to get better and better with your harmonies on the multi-tracking. This was another A+ performance (not that I’m in a place to give grades).

So much fun, thanks for sharing. Hope you and the family are well.

Cheers,

Dave
Old 02-07-2023, 11:22 AM
Charter Member

Holy smokes, Glenn, this is just unbelievable. You are so talented! I wish I could play lead guitar like that! And I am a sucker for a 12-string, especially a Rick. I also am thoroughly impressed with your overall recorded sound. Man, you shoulda been a rock n roll star.
Old 02-07-2023, 11:25 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by superbitterdave View Post
So, I’ve always thought Petty’s cover was better than the original. Now, I’m thinking, maybe Glenn’s? (Full disclosure, I didn’t read all 100 or so other comments, so apologies if I’m repeating anything someone else said.)

You were obviously having fun with the jangly guitars - well done!

[insert obligatory flawless Glenn execution comment here]

But what I keep seeing over the last year or so is that you continue to get better and better with your harmonies on the multi-tracking. This was another A+ performance (not that I’m in a place to give grades).

So much fun, thanks for sharing. Hope you and the family are well.

Cheers,

Dave
Thank you Dave,

I really appreciate your listening and your generous comments.

I have thought in some ways that Tom Petty's version of this song was a little better, too, but by the time his band did his recording the recording technology had improved considerably from the Byrds' time of recording, so that may have been part of the improvement.

Regarding the harmony singing on this cover song, I think I am just getting a little more experienced in how to do these. I'm sure I'm not getting better as a singer, but I have become more aware of what works well in a recording. On this song, I doubled the vocal parts to make the harmony blend sound "thicker" and more like the original Byrds recording. Simon & Garfunkel and The Beatles used to do this, too.

I'm really glad you thought this came out well, Dave! Your comments make me feel good! It's fun to do a project like this and it's fun to have others appreciate it. So thank you!!!

My wife and I are doing fine in retirement. I hope you and your family are doing well, too!

- Glenn
Old 02-07-2023, 11:41 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveMusic View Post
Holy smokes, Glenn, this is just unbelievable. You are so talented! I wish I could play lead guitar like that! And I am a sucker for a 12-string, especially a Rick. I also am thoroughly impressed with your overall recorded sound. Man, you shoulda been a rock n roll star.
Hi Bill,

Thank you very much for your encouraging comments! I'm so pleased that you thought this came out well! I really am!

I appreciate the Ric 12-string guitar, too! I have always loved that sound and I'm extremely grateful that I was able to pick up this guitar when it didn't cost an arm and a leg!

Regarding being a lead guitar player, I am really not all that good at it, but then, I didn't show folks the flubs I made until I got enough practice in. For some reason, once I get a part down on the guitar, my brain and my fingers remember how to do it. I suppose I have been lucky that way, just a gift, and I do appreciate it. Thanks for noticing.

Regarding recording, I have learned a lot from doing these YouTube videos and also from the RECORD section here on the AGF. There is so much information here on this forum and members are generally very generous about sharing their knowledge.

Regarding being a rock and roll star, thank you for that compliment. Much appreciated, really! But folks in the commercial music business do not have a very good track record of keeping their families together. For me, that was my first priority, so I was not willing to do some of the things necessary to make it in the commercial music world. And I am not at all sure that I would have ever made it in this crazy business, anyway. I'm glad I had the option of having been educated and being able to support my family as an engineer. It worked out extremely well for me. But thank you again for your kind encouragement, Bill!

- Glenn

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell