The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-15-2024, 08:10 PM

I don't trust any vendor who says, "488.00$."
Old 05-15-2024, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SongwriterFan View Post
You know, that's a single coil pickup, and there's TWO humbucker pickups on this thing, so maybe the price isn't all that crazy, especially when you consider the design.

I emailed and asked to see if they had any discount codes. They sent me one (a measly 5% off), but decided to go ahead and order one.

I gig with the Yamaha Silent Guitar, and having another option for sound seems pretty interesting to me. I kinda liked the blended sound demos, too.

Another way I thought about it: it's almost like having a backup guitar (at least the electronics section). What if the standard pickup decided not to work at a gig? I'd at least have this alternate pickup to use (and it doesn't require batteries).
hey mate..congrats. glad my thread served you. definitely give us a review when it comes in.
Takamine F349, Takamine g340, Yamaha LL6M, Enya X4pm
'78 Fender Strat
Univox Ultra elec12string
Lute 13 strings
Gibson Les Paul Triumph Bass
Piano, Keyboards, Controllers, Marimba, Dusty Strings harp
Old 05-15-2024, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Bernstein View Post
I don't trust any vendor who says, "488.00$."
it's not in the US. The price is determined by the exchange rate of the euro.
Takamine F349, Takamine g340, Yamaha LL6M, Enya X4pm
'78 Fender Strat
Univox Ultra elec12string
Lute 13 strings
Gibson Les Paul Triumph Bass
Piano, Keyboards, Controllers, Marimba, Dusty Strings harp
Old Yesterday, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
You are working a mish-mash of mono and stereo connections as well as levels, so it might take a bit of experimentation to get where you want to be. The stereo 1/4" to 1/8" cable should work fine from what I see in the manual.

If the AUX level lacks sensitivity, ideally you would want to re-wire the internals so the "MIC"wiring actually connects to the AUX input jack. That would probably take care of the blend level, but without having knowledge of their electronics that's a bit of a guess. That would eliminate the MIC part of the circuit, but allow the smooth blending of the piezo bridge element and your new dual bucker pickup.

You are going where no man has gone before!
Quick update: Received it today. Very quick shipping. This is a thing of beauty. The online instructions were very clear. And they even sent a screwdriver with the correct MAGNETIZED Phillips head on it (so no need to try to find one around the house or go buy one). VERY thoughtful.

The cable does, indeed, work. BUT, the output of the Borsi is low enough that even at 100% output and 100% gain on the Aux In, there's just enough signal to be BARELY noticeable when blended in.

The neck pickup seems hotter than the bridge pickup, and there's no way I can tell to blend those volumes . . it's just 1) all neck, 2) all bridge, or 3) mixture of bridge/neck . . with the neck being significantly hotter). I prefer the bridge pickup blended in with the acoustic pickup. I usually run the acoustic pickup at all "Mic" (emulated mic) and no "piezo". Adding the bridge pickup in, though, leads me to prefer a bit of the Piezo added in, too . . maybe even half-piezo and half-mic.

But I definitely want more Bridge Pickup added in than I can get with just the cable going to the Aux In. For now, I'm just using one of my amps, and it has two inputs on it, so I'm just using two cables.

So, I may end up re-ordering that Morely ABY-MIX box.

UNLESS I can think of a clever way to install a small pre-amp that would boost the output of the Borsi enough before it hits the AUX-IN jack on the SG200 guitar. Any thoughts on that?
Old Yesterday, 04:03 PM

Just noticed that their instructions say to use ELECTRIC strings . . . they say that the acoustic strings will "negatively impact" the tone of the Borsi output.

I wonder if that affects the VOLUME significantly? Hmmmmm.
Old Yesterday, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Just noticed that their instructions say to use ELECTRIC strings . . . they say that the acoustic strings will "negatively impact" the tone of the Borsi output.

I wonder if that affects the VOLUME significantly? Hmmmmm.
Yes, It can. In your case probably minimally.
Old Yesterday, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Quick update: Received it today. Very quick shipping. This is a thing of beauty. The online instructions were very clear. And they even sent a screwdriver with the correct MAGNETIZED Phillips head on it (so no need to try to find one around the house or go buy one). VERY thoughtful.

The cable does, indeed, work. BUT, the output of the Borsi is low enough that even at 100% output and 100% gain on the Aux In, there's just enough signal to be BARELY noticeable when blended in.

The neck pickup seems hotter than the bridge pickup, and there's no way I can tell to blend those volumes . . it's just 1) all neck, 2) all bridge, or 3) mixture of bridge/neck . . with the neck being significantly hotter). I prefer the bridge pickup blended in with the acoustic pickup. I usually run the acoustic pickup at all "Mic" (emulated mic) and no "piezo". Adding the bridge pickup in, though, leads me to prefer a bit of the Piezo added in, too . . maybe even half-piezo and half-mic.

But I definitely want more Bridge Pickup added in than I can get with just the cable going to the Aux In. For now, I'm just using one of my amps, and it has two inputs on it, so I'm just using two cables.

So, I may end up re-ordering that Morely ABY-MIX box.

UNLESS I can think of a clever way to install a small pre-amp that would boost the output of the Borsi enough before it hits the AUX-IN jack on the SG200 guitar. Any thoughts on that?
First, I suspected this might be the problem to overcome.

I don't know how much room is inside the magnetic pickup assembly housing, but my Dozen Dollar Preamp would solve the low level problem.

It's based on the ultra-cheap Sonitone preamp which is really small and can fit easily in small spaces.
Old Yesterday, 08:58 PM

Quote:

I don't know how much room is inside the magnetic pickup assembly housing, but my Dozen Dollar Preamp would solve the low level problem.

It's based on the ultra-cheap Sonitone preamp which is really small and can fit easily in small spaces.
Hmmm, I'm probably not up to that task, but I have a friend who might be.

Switching to electric strings didn't really help all that much (I stayed with 12-52 Light gauge, went with flat-wound) that I could tell.

I noticed another issue . . . on the neck pickup, the pickup is too far away from the strings at the bass end. They may have left off a sticky piece of rubber (there's one on the bridge pickup on the bass side). I've stuck a piece of velcro under there and it seems to solve the issue pretty well. I'll have to email to see if they usually have a piece of rubber there and just left it off or what might be going on.

I still like having this on the guitar as a simple "backup" in case the electronics ever happened to go bad during a gig. About the only thing that would have to be done (after switching the cord between inputs) would be to increase the guitar channel gain at the board.

I have to wonder why a company like this even exists. It seems to only sell ONE product . . one that caters to a very specific guitar that very few seem to own, and most of those owners I would think would have very little interest in the product. Makes me wonder how many he's sold.
Old Yesterday, 09:07 PM

Quote:

A preamp like this one might fit the bill for what I'm wanting to do.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/134046306262

The only risk I can see is potentially providing too much signal into the AUX IN . . but I think it's designed for accepting inputs from CD players, etc, so it'd probably work out fine.

Or here's one with the 1/8" output

https://www.amazon.com/Traveler-Guit...01N8PJZJM?th=1

I ordered one of each . . . the one from Amazon will get here on Sunday . . the other one may take a week or two.

Last edited by SongwriterFan; Yesterday at 09:29 PM.
Old Yesterday, 09:28 PM

double post

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification