The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 02-20-2024, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Hofman View Post
But you hid the best part of the Brat!

The jump seats allowed Subaru to declare the Brat as a car at 2.5% import duty instead of the 25% import tax on light trucks.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subaru_BRAT
2014 Fender Concert Pro (New Hartford) - red spruce, mahogany
Old 02-20-2024, 11:19 AM

https://www.caranddriver.com/ford/maverick

As a city dweller I’m on the cusp of buying a Ford Maverick trucklet.

A Maverick with five seats and a bed cover will be useful for car pooling a few guitar pickers and their stuff to jams and music festivals.

Last edited by casualmusic; 02-20-2024 at 11:34 AM.
Old 02-20-2024, 12:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by casualmusic View Post
The jump seats allowed Subaru to declare the Brat as a car at 2.5% import duty instead of the 25% import tax on light trucks.

Fascinating, thanks for sharing!
Old 02-20-2024, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
I think we are more or less in agreement.
Myself I have no issue (practical or libertarian leaning) for requiring some type of Cert. or CDL for say 20k or 22 k lbs and over.
We get a load of tourists in the summer and I see some people driving Class A motorhomes that probably should not .
I used to have a CDL when I drove a Dump Truck for a few years, but let it laps and never renewed it . But my various trailers and truck are below 20K GVW (which is my hitch rating)
The motorhomes are a whole other animal. I used to spend 1-4 months a year by you knowing the bear and people jams or at times having to get to and from JH to MT or ID at reasonable speeds. Our 2nd home is in a corridor where huge amounts of people vacation. When you travel those routes a lot you see those things get in accidents.

Quote:
As a city dweller I’m on the cusp of buying a Ford Maverick trucklet.

A Maverick with five seats and a bed cover will be useful for car pooling a few guitar pickers and their stuff to jams and music festivals.
We were very impressed. The availability, a whole lot of Ford recalls (they are not alone) and knowing an EV version is coming put it off. Another matter that's internal to the family is I like the covered space of our van. My wife wants no more vans. A friend who traded his Outback for one said at times he misses the wagon space. Other side of that coin is separation from dirt!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Hofman View Post
Fascinating, thanks for sharing!
One of those auto/politics facts I always thought was interesting. Thank you Internet & podcasts. Before that I only knew it when my business and another job served the auto industry.

Also a reminder of many neat vehicles we can't get in these days. You probably know that with the family in or from Europe you've mentioned. Please world, let me buy a Mk 8 Golf R Estate in the US!

Old 02-20-2024, 01:08 PM

Quote:

The cargo van I just bought came from Europe. It actually ships with a second row of seats to get around this tax. Once in the US, the seats are removed and shipped back for another round of chicken tax evasion.
Old 02-20-2024, 04:46 PM

As far as the size of newer trucks goes, there is a very informative vid on Youtube "Why We Can't Have Small Trucks Anymore" on the "All Cars With Jon" channel. He really breaks down the reasons the auto makers have gone the way they have with pickups.
Old 02-21-2024, 07:21 AM
Charter Member

My neighbor has a big extended cab short box truck. He can't park it in his garage. He had to use his compact hatchback to haul something because it wouldn't fit in his truck. True story.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 02-21-2024, 07:32 AM
Charter Member

Drove by a new Tesla “Cybertruck” the other day. Talk about the big ugliest truck I have ever seen!

I have a beat up old Toyota SR5 RWD . Looks like crap, small, but has low miles and will run forever. Great for a normal home and rental owner. It is lent out more than I use it, but I will never get rid of it.

It is like my K. YIARI Classical. Beat up cracked and ugly, but plays like a champ. To beat up to sell for a meaningful amount, too sweet to get rid of.
Old 02-21-2024, 09:46 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Jelly View Post
My neighbor has a big extended cab short box truck. He can't park it in his garage. He had to use his compact hatchback to haul something because it wouldn't fit in his truck. True story.
Hard to believe how someone can make such an expensive purchase without giving it more thought. Maybe he liked the way it looked?
This is a pic of my old (2000) Sierra 1/2 ton pickup. It looks a little more beat up now, but it has 210K miles on it and is still very useful to haul and carry stuff. It was used to also pull a horse trailer.

A neighbor wanted to give me $3500. cash for it a few years ago and I said "no way". It was probably worth less than that, but having it in the driveway all these years, ready to go, meant a lot more to me than having the extra cash.
Oh, and it fits in my garage just fine!

Golf is pretty simple. It's just not that easy.
- Paul Azinger

"It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so."
– Mark Twain

http://www.youtube.com/user/Gitfiddlemann
Old 02-21-2024, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imwjl View Post

We were very impressed. The availability, a whole lot of Ford recalls (they are not alone) and knowing an EV version is coming put it off…

We might want an EV version of the Ford Maverick, but it’s likely 8-10 years away:
. Next platform redesign (needed to accommodate the battery pack) is probably 6-8 or more years away
. Maverick is low priced and low profit and low production volume
. EV batteries are wicked expensive
. Car makers prioritize their high profit vehicles, which means Ranger Hybrid and Ranger EV would be next
. Maverick Turbo and Maverick Hybrid already have very good fuel economy
. Is it worth waiting for smallish incremental benefit going to EV?

I’d like to get the unobtainable Geely Radar R6 EV pickup:
. Approx size of Ford Ranger and Chev Colorado
. On sale in China since last year $25k; I’d happily pay $35k
. Newly on sale in Thailand, with plans for SE Asia, Australia, Latin America (? Mexico)
. No plans for USA and Canada

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2E9TUQ...IgcjYgcmV2aWV3

Last edited by casualmusic; 02-21-2024 at 02:08 PM.
Old 02-21-2024, 03:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Jelly View Post
I can't park mine in my garage either.

It's just design decisions. At some point a truck gets too long to drive or park in a useful manner depending on bed length and cab length. So you have to decide on what you want to prioritize, seating or bed size. I have a family with kids. We take it camping, skiing, we take it to the lake, so it's more important for us to have a truck which comfortably seats all of us. It's really handy to have the bed, even a short bed. Things are hidden and can be locked up. Great for throwing dirty things like bikes, camping gear, skis, etc without futzing with a rack. Great for moving dirt, chips, or other landscaping materials.

Nope, the short bed won't haul everything. Nor will the standard cab have enough room to haul everyone at some point. You may value hauling over people moving.

Kind of like different guitars for different needs.
Old 02-21-2024, 04:44 PM
Charter Member

Kind of like different guitars for different needs.

I'm glad my wife has a 97 f-250 diesel for when I need to do
something that my 1st-gen Tacoma won't handle ...

-Mike "I hate driving the Ford."
Old 02-22-2024, 06:02 AM

Quote:
We might want an EV version of the Ford Maverick, but it’s likely 8-10 years away:
. Next platform redesign (needed to accommodate the battery pack) is probably 6-8 or more years away
. Maverick is low priced and low profit and low production volume
. EV batteries are wicked expensive
. Car makers prioritize their high profit vehicles, which means Ranger Hybrid and Ranger EV would be next
. Maverick Turbo and Maverick Hybrid already have very good fuel economy
. Is it worth waiting for smallish incremental benefit going to EV?

I’d like to get the unobtainable Geely Radar R6 EV pickup:
. Approx size of Ford Ranger and Chev Colorado
. On sale in China since last year $25k; I’d happily pay $35k
. Newly on sale in Thailand, with plans for SE Asia, Australia, Latin America (? Mexico)
. No plans for USA and Canada

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2E9TUQ...IgcjYgcmV2aWV3

As a kid I liked the El Camino and Ranchero vehicles. I'm sure that creates some bias.

Good to bring that vehicle up. Many do not realize where the Chinese makers and market are. It a significantly bigger market than the long-running giants so will remain innovative even if it is non-Chinese firms working for it.

Convenience is a big part of the interest in an EV pickup. It has been helpful for me to work where there are EVs and have associates who own them. It is kind of nuts to always read/hear/see stuff about them that is just willful ignorance or parochial behavior. No matter the format I expect one in our future.

No matter the pickup, what stands out SO much is in renting I always get what is ideal and it costs little. At times renting a small box truck or a 2 axle trailer are better too. I'm finding I even rent a trailer now more than a basic pickup that from traditional bed size hauls more.

We measured the Maverick and Hyundai beds. The Hyundai can't even hold my skis well. As said the one associate who got the Maverick said without a cap he can miss the wagon. Even big pickups with 4 doors often can't carry what our van does and most 4 door pickups have less comfy rear seats and a lot of bad crash ratings.

It all sort of adds up to fun reading automotive news and willing to wait some more.
Old 02-22-2024, 09:17 AM

I think my 2017 F150 looks great and the old Fords look good too.

However, I don't know if anything looks better than the early 70's Chevy C10's with the open face grill, 2 tone paint job and rally wheels. Several
Colors look great, but I love the blue and white.

Old 02-22-2024, 09:36 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussL30 View Post
I think my 2017 F150 looks great and the old Fords look good too.

However, I don't know if anything looks better than the early 70's Chevy C10's with the open face grill, 2 tone paint job and rally wheels. Several
Colors look great, but I love the blue and white.

Great looking truck!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic