The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-22-2020, 06:53 AM
Charter Member

Default That guitar that changed your mind

Have you ever made up your mind to buy a particular guitar, gone into the shop with cash in hand, then walked out with a different guitar?

I'd played a Taylor 555 12 string at the shop 3 times, finally deciding to pull the trigger. When I arrived, the shop owner presented one that had just come in. It was a jumbo rosewood from Larrivee (J15) and it had more of everything ... bottom end, playability, good looks, all at about the same price. Very satisfying buying experience
Old 01-22-2020, 07:04 AM

Not really because I have never been much for planning out a purchase. Most of the guitars I own I snagged when I was not even thinking about buying a guitar. They just showed up.
Old 01-22-2020, 07:08 AM
Charter Member

Sort of. I walked into Gruhn's about 30 years ago with $2000+ in my pocket and my sights on buying a '60s Brazilian D28. Spent the night in a Motel 6 and was a bit disheveled looking. (Honest - I'm always a bit disheveled.) I was the first and only person in the shop that morning and was ignored the whole time, so I left in a slight pique and went to the Nashville Guitar Show and fell in love with a 1935 00-18. I later called Gruhn's to speak to the supervisor about my experience, and he told me they thought I was homeless. I thought he was full of it - who lets randos in the shop and pull expensive guitars off the rack? I think, because of my appearance, they just thought I was not worth their time to say "hello, what can I do for you?"

Saved myself some dollars, too.
Old 01-22-2020, 07:09 AM

Several years ago I went into a shop and played three stunningly fine instruments from a maker I had previously decided held no interest for me. I was stunned at how deep the bass was and how boldly the guitar projected this big, full tone.

Those guitars were "Reimaged Taylors". I think I have the title right, please correct me if I don't. This was probably over 5 years ago and I've never played another Taylor like them.

If anyone can tell me the years they were made, or exact models, I would appreciate knowing. I didn't buy one then but one never knows.
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 01-22-2020, 07:10 AM

I went in wanting a Martin D18 and came out with a Lowden F32. Was also cheaper second hand than the D18 after some haggling.

No regrets, it’s a superb guitar. I’ll be gigging with it for the first time tonight.

Old 01-22-2020, 07:24 AM
Charter Member

For a long while I wanted a J-45. One day I decided my time had come and I went to look at what the local shops had to offer. I played 3 at one store, then I tried a J-15 they had hanging on the wall and took it home with me. Price was not the reason. It was simply a great guitar and I liked it better than the J45's available that day. No regrets. I may still get a good 45 someday. Or another J15.
Old 01-22-2020, 07:33 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robey View Post
Sort of. I walked into Gruhn's about 30 years ago with $2000+ in my pocket and my sights on buying a '60s Brazilian D28. Spent the night in a Motel 6 and was a bit disheveled looking. (Honest - I'm always a bit disheveled.) I was the first and only person in the shop that morning and was ignored the whole time, so I left ...
This happens to me in motorcycle shops ... me and the friendly
owner of the local Suzuki shop where I buy tires were laughing
about it the other day. His little shop has been in business in my
little town for 30 years... he knows not to judge people by whether
or not they come in wearing well used overalls...

-Mike "he's a knowledgeable business man..."
Old 01-22-2020, 07:35 AM

I went in to buy an entry-level Martin or Taylor as a beater/gig guitar. Those 00's and Academy models that go for $650 - $750 are really well made these days. But while I was there, I saw a '66 Harmony h1203 Sovereign Auditorium . Big neck, one-piece Honduran mahogany back, and one-piece neck, hide glue - with a pickup installed, ~$500. The ladder bracing is perfect for my playing style. So pleased!
Old 01-22-2020, 07:43 AM

Default That guitar that changed your mind

I went to buy an HD-28 and tried every one they had in the shop and had "The One" picked out. Just on a whim, I grabbed my Reimagined D41 off the wall just so I could say I'd played one. It blew all of the 28's away and went home with me that day!!

2019 Bourgeois “Banjo Killer” Aged Tone Vintage Deluxe D
2018 Martin D41 Ambertone (2018 Reimagined)
2016 Taylor GS Mini Koa ES2
Old 01-22-2020, 07:47 AM
Charter Member

4 years ago I had decided that an OM-28 would be a nice companion to my OOO-15S. Went to Chicago Music Exchange and tried the OM as well as several other makers rosewood OM's. On a whim I grabbed the re-voiced Taylor 614ce that had been causing quite a stir at the time. That particular Taylor changed my thinking about what a Taylor was supposed to be and it went home with me. I still want that OM-28 but I drank the Andy Powers kool-aid that day.
Old 01-22-2020, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Paul View Post
Have you ever made up your mind to buy a particular guitar, gone into the shop with cash in hand, then walked out with a different guitar?
Early on, I was set to get a new Gibson J-15. Bursts were rare back then, and I had Music Villa in Bozeman keeping its eye out for one.

Just when a burst J-15 because available, a New Hartford-made jumbo Guild F-50R appeared on reverb. The seller apparently wanted a quick sale - he'd reduced the price a couple times in the first week. I put in a reasonable offer, and that baby was mine! Fantastic guitar! Never looked back!

2018 Guild F-512 Sunburst -- 2007 Guild F412 Ice Tea burst
2002 Guild JF30-12 Whiskeyburst -- 2011 Guild F-50R Sunburst
2011 Guild GAD D125-12 NT -- 
1972 Epiphone FT-160 12-string
2012 Epiphone Dot CH
 -- 2010 Epiphone Les Paul Standard trans amber 

2013 Yamaha Motif XS7

Cougar's Soundcloud page
Old 01-22-2020, 08:07 AM
Charter Member

Nope but I have walked into a shop to get a pack of strings and walked out with a new guitar. You just never know when one is going to speak to you.
'18 Martin 000-17E "Willie"
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

https://pandora.app.link/ysqc6ey22hb

Old 01-22-2020, 08:08 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WordMan View Post
I went in to buy an entry-level Martin or Taylor as a beater/gig guitar. Those 00's and Academy models that go for $650 - $750 are really well made these days. But while I was there, I saw a '66 Harmony h1203 Sovereign Auditorium . Big neck, one-piece Honduran mahogany back, and one-piece neck, hide glue - with a pickup installed, ~$500. The ladder bracing is perfect for my playing style. So pleased!
Made me look:

https://vintageguitarblog.wordpress....vereign-h1203/

-Mike
Old 01-22-2020, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robey View Post
Sort of. I walked into Gruhn's about 30 years ago with $2000+ in my pocket and my sights on buying a '60s Brazilian D28. Spent the night in a Motel 6 and was a bit disheveled looking. (Honest - I'm always a bit disheveled.) I was the first and only person in the shop that morning and was ignored the whole time, so I left in a slight pique and went to the Nashville Guitar Show and fell in love with a 1935 00-18. I later called Gruhn's to speak to the supervisor about my experience, and he told me they thought I was homeless. I thought he was full of it - who lets randos in the shop and pull expensive guitars off the rack? I think, because of my appearance, they just thought I was not worth their time to say "hello, what can I do for you?"

Saved myself some dollars, too.

When I was a young man doing my first sales in a music shop job the proprietor took me aside and said “don’t ignore any customers who don’t look like they have money. You never know when a farmer or tradesman will come in and buy his dream guitar. And, he’ll pay in cash.” That’s stuck with me my whole life. Never judge a book by it’s cover.
Old 01-22-2020, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodallboy View Post
Several years ago I went into a shop and played three stunningly fine instruments from a maker I had previously decided held no interest for me. I was stunned at how deep the bass was and how boldly the guitar projected this big, full tone.

Those guitars were "Reimaged Taylors". I think I have the title right, please correct me if I don't. This was probably over 5 years ago and I've never played another Taylor like them.

If anyone can tell me the years they were made, or exact models, I would appreciate knowing. I didn't buy one then but one never knows.

Same. The 2014-1017 Taylors were some impressive instruments. The new ones leave me cold. I regret selling my 2014 816CE.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion