The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-21-2020, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
I'd recommend a Huss & Dalton CM - OM top with a deep body....
As a side note, many years ago (2003?) I was at the late great Buffalo Bros in Carlsbad. Came in to buy a Goodall, wasn't as impressed with the 5 they had in my $5k envelope they presented me, played upwards of 50 guitars over a 5 hour stretch in their backroom.

A rosewood H&D CM is the instrument I ended up leaving with, never heard of the brand before at that point.

Still have that guitar and will likely get around to selling it as my taste has aligned with the pre-war Martin thing through and through (similar to my taste in electrics has gravitated to early 60s strat), but I took it out not too long ago from a long gestitation and it's pretty obvious why I fell in love with it in the first place. It's definitely more of a balanced, modern sound from a traditionally voiced OM.
Old 01-21-2020, 02:34 PM

I recently purchased a Martin om 28 Modern Deluxe. Fabulous and light guitar.

http://onemanz.com/guitar/reviews/ac...modern-deluxe/
Old 01-21-2020, 04:12 PM

I was on a similar OM/000 search not too long ago. Bought a Collings OM2HG that was wonderful, but not quite right for me - sold it. Played a lot of Santa Cruz guitars but didn’t find one that made me want to buy it. Martins are Martins, and fabulous. But I already owned a 00-21 and wanted variety.

Then I played a Huss & Dalton and that was it. I love their neck profile (medium C) and string spacing and their sound. I played a 00, but from that I ordered a custom TOM-M with an Italian spruce top and short scale.

I love this guitar. But you need to find YOUR perfect fit.
Old 01-21-2020, 04:26 PM

Default Been Browsing For Same

There are some used SCGC OM Grands out there.
It's a 0000 with an OM depth. A turbo charged OM.
Old 01-21-2020, 04:31 PM
Charter Member

I didn’t see anyone say Bedell- they are certainly worth a look.
Fun problem to have.
Old 01-21-2020, 04:32 PM

Any and all of these builders have wonderful OM guitars. Dana is doing some amazing work these days and you really can't miss there.

However,

Santa Cruz OM/PW is one of the very best values for a top end keeper.
If you can find a used Preston Thompson make sure to try one, they are that good.

Super B is a very reputable dude. He's tried em all, so his thoughts on Goodall are of note.
Old 01-21-2020, 04:48 PM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Beamish View Post
I have a Santa Cruz OM with rosewood back and sides. It's a great guitar.

But I played several others of the same model beforehand, and they were blah guitars. Well made, yes. Great fit and finish. But they kinda just laid there.

Same story for the Collins OMs that I've played (and I've played many of them here in Austin.) Most were competent, very well made guitars that didn't speak to me. Blah. Except for a OM1A that happened to be fantastic, divine.

I really think it all depends on the individual guitar. OMs are a good all-rounder model...but in my opinion they do tend lack personality most of the time. They generally can't bring the particular magic of a smaller guitar with a bouncing voice, or the rich round sound of a dread. I think you have to find the OM that brings a little something extra, and you have to play them one by one.

YMMV and all that of course.
I would echo this sentiment. I was looking for an OM a while back and though I played a few beauties out of the bunch - Santa Cruz being my favorite - I still didn't find exactly what I was seeking. I ended up getting a custom slightly scaled down slope D from a local luthier. So, IMHO, you really do have to play them one by one.

Best,
Jayne
Old 01-21-2020, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC. View Post
Having been through lots of expensive OMs, I can tell you that the answer is actually the cheap and cheerful Martin OM21.
I also usually prefer OM21 than OM28.
The best OM I played were :
- Boucher guitars (insanely well balanced, reminds of Collins but warmer)
- Larrivée OM9 (warmer and darker than Boucher, still brighter than Martin)
- OM21 (Fat, fun, almost a short scale feel)

I’d love to try Froggy and Santa Cruz tho!
Old 01-21-2020, 05:07 PM

If you’ve decided the OM size and shape is what you want, you can’t beat the Martin OM 21. However, if your criteria could include guitars that are slightly larger than the OM but smaller than a dreadnaught I would point you to the Northwood mini-jumbo. I own one, it has put all my other guitars on the shelf. Here’s a compelling clip from a forum sponsor -

https://youtu.be/9Q-EyTb-S9Q
Old 01-21-2020, 07:56 PM
Charter Member

You might consider checking out the 14 fret Taylor 612/712/812/912 models and possibly even the K22 if you are interested in koa. They stand up well new or used at your budget.
Kostal 12 Fret OMC (German Spruce/Koa)
Rainsong APSE 12 Fret (Carbon Fiber)
Taylor 812ce-N 12 fret (Sitka/EIR Nylon)

Last edited by SprintBob; 01-21-2020 at 08:04 PM.
Old 01-21-2020, 08:01 PM
Charter Member

I either own or have owned all the guitars listed except for the PT. For your budget, I’d consider a Bourgeois.
Old 01-21-2020, 08:06 PM

Just throwing it in the mix:

https://reverb.com/item/20583085-wal...-2010-sunburst

Been eyeing this one for a while. Spoke with the builder and he just sold one of his recent builds for $5k+

Well under your budget. Maybe the seller would let it go for $1800.

Myself, I like luthier hand made, but it does come with its own set of risks. Resale value, durability of the build...

Tim Darrow, a luthier of Pre*War Guitars, has a couple builds available. I'll attach some pics. His email is: [email protected]
I won't give the price away, but he's asking well under your $3k goal.

Less risky is going with any of your brands mentioned - and of those I would say Santa Cruz is a do-it-all guitar. Santa Cruz really awakens tone out of rosewood - bloomy overtones, balanced, reserved. Not just a big beefy boom, as most rosewood guitars are.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image2.jpg (28.9 KB, 138 views)
File Type: jpg image0.jpg (42.4 KB, 138 views)
'50's Gibson LG-1
lukegardmusic.com

Last edited by lukegard22; 01-21-2020 at 08:18 PM.
Old 01-21-2020, 08:16 PM

Bourgeois. They’re special.
Old 01-21-2020, 08:33 PM

Default OM 35

I own an OM 35 Martin in amberburst, purchased new from ... drawing a blank, a Martin dealer in Florida, John something, and have never had a negative thought about it. I bought it as a companion to my HD 35 because, at the time, it was the only Martin I could find with a 1 3/4" nut. It is quite balanced and loud.

I guess there was never much enthusiasm for them and their 3 piece backs, and so it is no longer made.

I will keep mine forever and leave it to my heirs.

Happy hunting.
Old 01-21-2020, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperB23 View Post
A used Goodall TROM would be my recommendation. Goodall compare quite favorably with all the brands you listed. If you had more budge a Froggy Bottom H would be a great option too but they get quite pricey!

Goodall guitars usually will hang with any 5 figure $xx,xxx you compare them with. You don't realize how good they are until you play them side by side with other boutique makers like mentioned in this thread.
Great guitars but I don't usually associate Goodall with the vintage tone that the OP said he prefers.

I would go with Huss & Dalton or SC first.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion