The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-31-2019, 09:29 AM
Charter Member

I Love Ovation Adamas Guitars & It's Great To See Them Being Made Again In New Hartford! I still wish I had my 1983 Adamas II and my 2008 Adamas 2080 NWT.

My favorite local dealer, who is friends with former long-time Ovation technician, Willie, recently visited Connecticut, and Willie mentioned that given the overhead of producing the new Adamas models and their cost, he thinks the shop won't survive too long. Currently, the new Adamas models are selling for about $4600 at Lost Art/Vintage Guitars in New Jersey. I'd love a new Adamas but that's a bit of a reach price-wise. If you don't mind the cost, though, better get a new one while you can! Al, at Lost Art/Vintage Guitars, also has some NOS Adamas and other Ovation models in stock. Lost Art/Vintage Guitars
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2

Last edited by SpruceTop; 12-31-2019 at 09:35 AM.
Old 12-31-2019, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
I'm glad to see that Ovation is still surviving. They were the first guitar I ever experienced GAS with back in high school, so even though I don't have any interest in playing one these days, I do have a soft spot for them.
I’m similar. I’ve played and heard some Ovations that made me a big fan for awhile but I haven’t seen or heard anything in a bit that I felt that way about. What I’ve seen come out since DW purchased them hasn’t wow’d me but I didn’t want to outright discount them. I used to own two, a 79 Balladeer that was great and a Korean Elite Standard that was ok.

Their Celebrity models don’t represent the quality potential very well but their American stuff has become very pricey, even if it is great. All the Ovation nerds tend to love the Adamas models the most and I’m glad to see they’re getting it back out there.
Taylor 514ce

Zoom AC3

https://linktr.ee/erikjmusic
Old 12-31-2019, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonics View Post
Is this current? I was under the impression DW closed the Connecticut plant and moved the entire Ovation operation to California where they now make, among other things, all-wood flat-back Ovation guitars...imagine that (sic).

Well if true this is good news if you have an ear for tone and extra deep pockets!
No, there was only one "California" model in very limited production made by Larrivee. This is a new boutique workshop with a small number of luthiers that were kept from the mothership and they only build the "classic" Adamas I in two versions. The 1687 is basically the original design from the mid 70s with modern electronics and LX neck, and the 2087 is further modernized with contour body and cutaway. Both versions come in a range of colours. There was also a batch of 12-strings (1688) made a couple of months ago, the first in almost 20 years, and they sold within days. So dealers can also order some customization to the two base versions it seems.
Old 12-31-2019, 09:42 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin666 View Post
No, there was only one "California" model in very limited production made by Larrivee. This is a new boutique workshop with a small number of luthiers that were kept from the mothership and they only build the "classic" Adamas I in two versions. The 1687 is basically the original design from the mid 70s with modern electronics and LX neck, and the 2087 is further modernized with contour body and cutaway. Both versions come in a range of colours. There was also a batch of 12-strings (1688) made a couple of months ago, the first in almost 20 years, and they sold within days. So dealers can also order some customization to the two base versions it seems.
I'd imagine a customer could get a 1687 made with the "regular" Ovation headstock shape rather than the Adamas I "flower" shaped headstock. I was never a fan of the more intricate-looking "flower" shape.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Old 12-31-2019, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by srick View Post
From what I have read, as of September, DW has established a small shop just down the road from the old factory and they are producing the Adamas in that location. There are still a lot of official references to the old factory address on the internet. Who knows what that’s about? I’m tempted to take a quick drive to New Hartford!
There's a fly fishing river (Farmington) in New Hartford that has a popular section that's called "Ovation Pool." Right next to the factory. I live about 10 miles from there. I'll take a ride over when the weather clears later this week to check it out. I thought they moved....
Best,
LarryK
Old 12-31-2019, 10:20 AM

I would love to play a new Ovation American deep-bowl guitar but Ovation has really made getting information and guitars harder than it's worth. Based on the sketchy information that's available, I'm not sure I'll ever see one in the wild.
Old 12-31-2019, 10:44 AM

I've never owned an Ovation because they slid off my lap but I have always been interested in their construction and liked them because of who played them.
Old 12-31-2019, 11:19 AM

My first acoustic was a Celebrity balladeer and before I could even play I did sound at my small church and both of our guitarists used Ovation/Adamas guitars. I always thought they sounded great plugged in. I’ve owned quite a few Ovations and a few Adamas and always really liked them, but did eventually sell all of them. I always looked at them as a nice alternative and contrast to all wood guitars. I guess CF guitars now fill that niche for me.

1998 Very Sweet Wife
2000 Cute Daughter (Grand Concert)
2005 Handsome Son (Dreadnought)
2007 Lovely Daughter (Parlor)
2017 Cute Puppy (Duke the Uke)
Old 12-31-2019, 12:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfspencer View Post
I've never owned an Ovation because they slid off my lap but I have always been interested in their construction and liked them because of who played them.
The newer Ovation "Contour Bowl" models tend to stay put on the lap when seated or against your belly when standing just as well as a typical wooden, conventional-build guitar.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Old 12-31-2019, 12:41 PM

The Adamas was always the top of the line Ovations and were never low cost. They MSRP'd in the mid 1990s for about $3000. That would be $5000 today, based on inflation calculators.

Looks like they are selling 2 models, but other than the contour with cutout vs regular body, there is no difference in the specs.

I too wish they had done some clips with mics instead of plugged in. They need to be plugged into a high impedance pedal or amp input to sound the best, and not "electric-y "
1986 Ovation 1758 12 String
2007 Walden G2070
2008 Guild D55 Prototype
1998 Guild Starfire IV
2016 Guild Newark St. X-175 Sunburst
1996 Ovation 1768-7LTD " custom "

Last edited by JohnW63; 12-31-2019 at 12:49 PM.
Old 12-31-2019, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
I'd imagine a customer could get a 1687 made with the "regular" Ovation headstock shape rather than the Adamas I "flower" shaped headstock. I was never a fan of the more intricate-looking "flower" shape.
Indeed, my Adamas (deep bowl) has a slotted headstock which gives it a very 'hip' look.
Fender RK Tele
Godin ACS SA, 5th Ave
Gretsch G7593, G9240
Martin JC-16ME Aura, J12-16GT, 000C Nylon
Ovation:
Adamas U681T, Elite 5868, Elite DS778TX, Elite Collectors '98
Custom Legend, Legend LX 12 string, Balladeer, Classical
Parker MIDIfly, P10E
Steinberger Synapse
Taylor 320, NS34
Yamaha SA503
Old 12-31-2019, 04:13 PM
Charter Member

I don't know but when I see old footage of Glen Campbell, Al DiMeola, Roger Gilmore and many others, I am not excited. I remember the late 60-'s when they came out. Colored tops, round uncomfortable sitting bowls, tinny sound.. Yet wow those rosettes, headstock and sound hole designs sure look good.

I can see how a clear, simple, bright timbre is an advantage in the studio so I give Glen Campbell a pass. But live they never knocked me out. Even Al Di Meola's fine fast and melodic compositions seemed a little too low action choked.

Whatever guitar you like is a good thing though. So if Adamas comes back strong and you love it, I am all for that : )
Old 12-31-2019, 04:31 PM

I had a deep bowl Balladeer in 1974 that I really loved. Played the frets off of it. In a major fit of stupidity I traded it for a Japanese Les Paul copy because I just had to have it. That was my introduction to G.A.S. I guess.
I found the tone of the deep bowl to be pretty nice, and would own another one if I found it to my liking.
Old 12-31-2019, 07:37 PM

Default The Sound of an Adamas

Fender RK Tele
Godin ACS SA, 5th Ave
Gretsch G7593, G9240
Martin JC-16ME Aura, J12-16GT, 000C Nylon
Ovation:
Adamas U681T, Elite 5868, Elite DS778TX, Elite Collectors '98
Custom Legend, Legend LX 12 string, Balladeer, Classical
Parker MIDIfly, P10E
Steinberger Synapse
Taylor 320, NS34
Yamaha SA503
Old 12-31-2019, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lkristians View Post
There's a fly fishing river (Farmington) in New Hartford that has a popular section that's called "Ovation Pool." Right next to the factory. I live about 10 miles from there. I'll take a ride over when the weather clears later this week to check it out. I thought they moved....
Best,
LarryK
Larry - I have seen the repair center address listed as: 8 Wickett street in Pine Meadow. It’s probably a mile south of the old factory in another factory building right off the river (west side).

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion