The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-30-2019, 10:19 PM
Charter Member

Probably more than you're looking to spend but Mono makes the best "soft" case out there IMO. They are tanks.

https://monocreators.com/products/cl...tar-case-black
Old 12-30-2019, 10:25 PM

Gator and SKB now make the semi-rigid lightweight cases for the GSMini. I just got a SKB and it's super nice.

I'd check into the sizing and see if either company makes the same case for a Hummingbird.
Old 12-31-2019, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjathon View Post
I have one of their Stage 3 bags, and am very happy with it (I picked it up on sale, and they also offered better pricing at the time if you signed up for an account before placing your order).
Old 12-31-2019, 06:38 PM

I have to throw my 2 cents in and get a Godin Tric case. The thing holds humidity more stable than a 5 series Martin custom, is light but sturdy and not very expensive. It also cradles my Godin dred like a baby.. I really cant recommend them enough!...
Old 12-31-2019, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D41Fan View Post
I have to throw my 2 cents in and get a Godin Tric case. The thing holds humidity more stable than a 5 series Martin custom, is light but sturdy and not very expensive. It also cradles my Godin dred like a baby.. I really cant recommend them enough!...
Totally agree, I have retired my hardcases and got into the Tric’s. they are frickin great at holding in moisture. Under 20%RH at best in my house now with winter and I usually am rewetting Oasis humidifiers 1-2 every2 weeks. Plus they are so much lighter than a typical hardshell with great impact protection. Lol, I am not affiliated with Godin, just another Canuck.
20 Epiphone EJ-200SE-12-VS
20 PRS P20E
16 Breedlove D25/SRH Pro Series
17 Guild D-140
? Cort Luce L300V-F SB
17 Gibson SG Standard T
14 Ibanez AM93-TKS
04 Fender Stratocaster
21 Epiphone IBG ES335 Figured.
23 PRS SE McCarty 594
89 Marc Beneteau Dreadnaught
Old 01-02-2020, 10:38 PM
Charter Member

Best gig bag I’ve ever used: “Summit guitar Pack” unequaled protection in a soft style bag. No longer made, I acquired one years ago with a guitar purchase and use it a lot. They do pop up on EBay now and then
Old 01-24-2020, 07:45 AM

So in the end I got a Gator GL-DREAD-12 (https://smile.amazon.co.uk/gp/produc...?ie=UTF8&psc=1)

Amazon had it for £59, which is crazy cheap for such a great case.

Weirdly, it's described as a 12-string dreadnought case, not 6 & 12 string. But the only real difference between a 6 and 12 string is that the headstock is longer on a 12 string so I took the chance and got it. It actually has about the right amount of room around the headstock imo - a good inch or so of clearance. I don't know about everyone else, but personally I like some space between the top of a case and the top of my heastock. I don't know that you'd easily get a 12 string in there. If you did it'd be pretty tight at the top, esp on a long scale.

Anyway, it feels like it was made for a hummingbird; It's a good snug (but not tight) fit all the way around and I'm really pleased with it. It might have been nice if it was 1/4" deeper - it does up and I don't think it's actually squashing the guitar but it's tight. Gator say max body depth is 4.9" and the hummingbird is more like 4.75" so I'm sure it's fine. It zips up without having to put any force anywhere. Probably a tight fit is better than the guitar flopping around inside.

It weighs almost nothing yet it's very rigid - on a whole different level to my GS Mini soft case - it almost feels as solid as a plywood case - I wouldn't say you could stand on it, but honestly, it's not far off! The GS Mini is more bump protection. This would actually provide a significant amount of crush protection too. I think you'd have to have a very significant accident before you'd break a guitar in this. Like dropping an electric piano or an amp headpiece on it. I would imagine it'd be fine if it rolled down a flight of stairs. It's more than enough protection for a walk across town, and if I need more then I have the hard case it came with.

Thanks for all the help everyone! I might not have picked any of the exact recommendations, but you certainly got me looking at the right brands and models to get to the one I chose

Last edited by RalphH; 01-24-2020 at 09:46 AM. Reason: spellinz
Old 01-24-2020, 09:11 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

There are really so many good options now. Glad that you found the one that works best for you. Thanks for the update.

Best,
Jayne
Old 01-24-2020, 10:52 AM

Ralph, I just looked up the Jumbo version of that case ...there don't seem to be any in the UK.

I suppose "Gator" bags coming from Florida does sound a little like it could be made from endangered species (are 'gators endangered?)

Will have to stick with the crazy heavy Gibson one for my J-185 a little longer.....

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion