The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 02-10-2020, 07:25 PM

Default Tone Differences between Emerald X7 and X10

Hi gang. I currently own and X7 and and X30, both with full Anthem pickups.

I'm wondering how the tone, both acoustic and plugged in of the X10 compares to the X7. I like my X7 but I'm wondering if the X10 might have a bit more .

If any of you have both an X7 and an X10 I'd be curious to hear how they compare.

Thanks!
Old 02-10-2020, 08:12 PM
Charter Member

Location: alpha quadrant of the Milky Way galaxy, planet Earth, upstate NY

Hi Hinto--
Acoustically, the X10 is louder, fuller with more bass. I had one for a short time but sent it back because I want a shorter scale. It had the same kind of saddle as the X7. And I've played the V.3 (latest one) of the X7 but didn't have them in the same room at the same time. The X7 sounded really nice too.
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down, “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. —John Lennon

Last edited by KarenB; 02-11-2020 at 06:53 PM.
Old 10-09-2022, 06:17 AM

Default Emerald

Hi Karen, modest strummer here, but I run an outside acoustic open mic at a local pub in Williamsburg, VA. I am 65 and hands are on the small side, so I usually like short scale Martins, ETC.. I have been curious about Emerald Guitars for the last year… getting confused with the differences between the X7 and The X10 and the levels associated. My goal is to have a comfortable composite to play outside in the humid summer months and the cool fall months… I always plug in, not as concerned about non amplified sound. I have three wood acoustics for home use. Thank you.
Old 10-09-2022, 08:23 AM
Charter Member

Hi CalicoSkies,

Reviving a thread from 2020, there are other discussions of the X7 vs X10 here on the forum. That said, I'll give you my impressions, owning one of each. In fact, the "Facebook Memory" this morning was from 2018, the arrival of the custom X10 I ordered after this model was newly offered again at the time.

My X7 is a previous generation, but everything I read about that vs the current gen X7 leads me to believe the sound/tone is very similar. To my ear, the X7 has a louder, deeper tone than the X10. I would consider my X7 to be "punchy" and the X10 to have a more balanced tone across each of the strings. The current X7 and X10 are pretty close in size. At the time I ordered the X10, Alistair told me: if you are more interested in the acoustic tone, get the X7; if you want more plugged in options, get the X10." I ordered the X10 with a custom shorter scale (24.6")

I notice the difference in nut width - 1 3/4" on the X7, 1 11/16" on the X10. The X10 neck profile seems to be a bit thinner, more in line with its design as an electric acoustic.

Putting a decibel meter on them, the X7 and X10 are pretty close in acoustic volume. It doesn't sound that way to my ears - the X7 seems louder. It may be the difference in the adjustable saddles on the X10 vs the more typical saddle on the X7; plus, the X10 has more "stuff" inside (electronics), and the Krivo humbucker pickup on the top on the X10.

Both sound great plugged in. The X7 sounds like a bigger acoustic than it is. The X10 has more plugged in options thanks to the electronics (mine has the level 2 pickups).

If your hands are smaller, you may appreciate the 1 11/16" nut width on the X10. When I ordered mine, getting a shorter scale was a custom option, but I think you can pick different scale lengths on Emerald's 3D builder on their site (for an up-charge).

Hope that helps. Good luck with the decisions. Plenty of good information on this forum.

Last edited by Captain Jim; 10-09-2022 at 11:16 AM.
Old 10-09-2022, 09:33 AM

I'm afraid my experience with an Emerald X10 was different than Karen's.

For 50+ days I had a 2018 X10, non electric with same standard bridge as found on x7, x20 and x30.
This acoustic version only X10 sounded very sweet and balanced.
Sadly the X10 was not nearly as loud as my 2016 X7 or 2017 X20 and
I was using the same strings (Galli 80/20 Bronze Flat Wound AJF1047) on all three guitars.
I contacted Emerald and they suggested a heavier string gauge to gain more volume.
With heavier strings (Galli 80/20 Bronze Flat Wound AFJ1252) installed on the X10,
volume did increase a little, but was still not as loud as my x7 or x20 which still had the lighter gauge strings.
2018 X30
And four all
laminate wood
acoustic guitars

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber