The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 02-04-2020, 11:00 PM
Charter Member

Default Journey OC660M

Another video up. I don't know much about nylon string guitars, have never owned one myself (after all I'm steelvibe), but I've got to say that I like this little guitar.

So nylon aficionados, what say ye? I do know this is a great player and the pickup sounds good to my ear. Just thought I'd share here- enjoy

Old 02-05-2020, 03:19 AM

The plugged in sound is great!

Hope to hear unplugged with a good mic as well soon.
Old 02-05-2020, 07:49 AM
Charter Member

I have a steel journey, so can't comment on the nylon sound, but I LOVE mine. It is the slickest travel guitar I've ever had. Plays well and travels well. Can't beat it.
000-Nylon, All Mahogany custom, 000-15SM, D16-GT (resto mod in progress), D15-M, Stinger SSL electric....
And a Kobza, Bouzouki, Hurdy Gurdy and something medieval looking.....
www.woodenshoe.blog
Old 02-05-2020, 07:59 AM
Charter Member

I also have the steel string version and agree, it’s a great option for a traveler.

I haven’t played the nylon version. I wish they had made the nut a full 2 inches as opposed to the “crossover” 1&7/8. I understand the company already makes a 650 scale 2inch nut travel classical. It has the traveling convenience of the detachable neck but is made of wood- so it’s not worry free from a weather/conditions standpoint.

Just some thoughts.
Old 02-05-2020, 08:51 AM

I prefer the hybrid 1 7/8" nut width. It strikes me as a nice center point between traditional steel and nylon string nuts. That said, it is clear that the ideal width depends largely on the player.
Old 02-10-2020, 01:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
I prefer the hybrid 1 7/8" nut width. It strikes me as a nice center point between traditional steel and nylon string nuts. That said, it is clear that the ideal width depends largely on the player.
I have played 2 inch and can get used to it, however I like to keep things consistent in terms of the width and string lengths: 1.875" and 24" ( 24.5 acceptable ). Not too crazy about full scale... Road trip size body would have been a big enough difference to convince myself that it is a worthy purchase. Overall I am glad Journey is experimenting with carbon with nylon strings.

Last edited by Gitaman; 02-10-2020 at 06:41 AM.
Old 02-10-2020, 01:26 PM

I really like short scale comfort of X7 and OF660 but I convinced myself there must be a reason for full scale... Well, I could not resist the nylon tone I could enjoy wherever I go and placed an order. I will do my best not to drool, I meant not to think about it until the familiar box shows up at my front door.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber