The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-22-2020, 12:20 AM

Default Decoding Breedlove models- help!

Played a very nice used Breedlove dread cutaway at a local shop today. The tag says it’s a Breedlove Revival Series DM custom. It has a gorgeous redwood top and mahogany back and sides. Square (Martin style) headstock, Antique gold Gotoh sealed tuners, and a Baggs Anthem dual source pickup in it. Label Says revival, DM Custom and made in USA and is signed by Kim Breedlove.
Is this a masterclass? Serial number is 13656. How do I decode to determine year? Very unique and I really bonded with this unique and beautiful dread and was thrilled that it had 1 3/4” nut. Just curious how old it is before I pull the trigger. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Last edited by tonesweettone; 01-22-2020 at 12:57 AM.
Old 01-22-2020, 01:28 AM
Charter Member

Easy solution:

CALL BREEDLOVE AND ASK THEM!!!

They'll help you in any way they can; they have great customer service.

I can tell you that Kim Breedlove hasn't signed guitars for quite a while, but again, call the factory in Bend, Oregon and find out for sure...
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 01-22-2020, 01:29 AM
Charter Member

I have a DM Revival as well and it's number is about 200 before yours; it's a 2010. I'd call Breedlove and ask them about the date and any custom features.

I'm a fan of the Revival Series, which probably ran for 6-7 years until 2012 or so. I think it ceased production about the time Bedell acquired Breedlove?

Anyway, a very Martin inspired design. Best of luck with your decision!
Old 01-22-2020, 02:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jseth View Post
I can tell you that Kim Breedlove hasn't signed guitars for quite a while, but again, call the factory in Bend, Oregon and find out for sure...
Just wondering how you can tell us that? Is it because he no longer has substantial hand in building most of the guitars now?
Old 01-22-2020, 04:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acoustic Wolf View Post
Just wondering how you can tell us that? Is it because he no longer has substantial hand in building most of the guitars now?

Yes...Kim retired a number of years ago. A really wonderful, quiet, but very friendly fella once you got to know him. Really really good tennis player too!...that was fun!

A very very talented artist and luthier as well.

And for the OP...yes if Kim signed the label, it is a Masterclass series instrument.

Preston Thompson...RIP...of Preston Thompson Guitars fame, was the one who helped Breedlove to design, and put into production, the original Revival Masterclass Series instruments, so those guitars have terrific DNA.

duff
Be A Player...Not A Polisher
Old 01-22-2020, 08:58 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcduffnw View Post

And for the OP...yes if Kim signed the label, it is a Masterclass series instrument.
This simply is not correct. Kim Breedlove signed the labels of lots of guitars that were NOT Masterclass.

The Masterclass instruments say "Masterclass" on the LABEL.
I have seen various models of Breedloves (from before 2013) that people have "claimed" are Masterclass, but cleary were other models.

As has been said, if you want first hand information, call Breedlove. I know that quite a few of the "old" crew still work there. They will give you the straight dope. They are really very helpful and happy to answer your questions.

Mark

Mark
Guitars; Esteban -"Tribute to Paula Abdul L.E." Arturo Fuente- Cigar Box"Hand Made" First Act-"Diamond Bling" Main Street- "Flaming Acoustic" Silvertone-"Paul Stanley Dark Star" Daisy Rock- "Purple Daze"
Old 01-22-2020, 09:04 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonesweettone View Post
Played a very nice used Breedlove dread cutaway at a local shop today. The tag says it’s a Breedlove Revival Series DM custom. It has a gorgeous redwood top and mahogany back and sides. Square (Martin style) headstock, Antique gold Gotoh sealed tuners, and a Baggs Anthem dual source pickup in it. Label Says revival, DM Custom and made in USA and is signed by Kim Breedlove.
Is this a masterclass? Serial number is 13656. How do I decode to determine year? Very unique and I really bonded with this unique and beautiful dread and was thrilled that it had 1 3/4” nut. Just curious how old it is before I pull the trigger. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Technically I do not think it is a Masterclass. But that does not matter in the least. In practical terms the 4 or 5 Revival series I tried were IMO outstanding guitars .
I own a Masterclass Phoenix and came very close and wish I would have purchased one of the Revivals I played .

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 01-22-2020, 09:05 AM

Thanks for this info. I will call BL today and circle back. I just thought there would be a reference somewhere online that would help folks navigate Breedlove model distinctives. I see now that there have been other AGFers postings similar to mine who have been a bit frustrated by this also.
Old 01-22-2020, 12:14 PM

I't likely this one with the redwood top instead of spruce. If so, it's not a Masterclass, Nonetheless, I'm sure it's a high quality instrument.

https://breedlovemusic.com/acoustic-...al-d-am-deluxe

If you play it right the first time, it's not hard enough.

Breedlove Exotic CM Classic E: Red Cedar/Black Walnut
Bedell Angelica Bellissima Parlor: Sunken Cedar/EIR
Breedlove Crossover OO Mandolin: Sitka/Maple
Old 01-23-2020, 05:35 PM

Called Breedlove and the gal I spoke with was amazing. She was able to locate the build card and gave me all the info I needed. 2010 Revival DM Deluxe Custom Shop. Amazing Guitar. I went for it!

Thanks for the help
Old 01-23-2020, 07:24 PM
Charter Member

I LOVE it when a plan works out!!!

Glad you got everything settled... and a NEW (to you) guitar!!!
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion