The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-22-2020, 12:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boozehound View Post
I'm thinking about it. I have long coveted a Froggy and wondering if now might be the time to thin the herd a bit and pull the trigger.
It's definitely worth considering! I am absolutely happy with the tone. In terms of ergonomics, the jury is still out. I was actually hoping for something with wider spacing, but you can't be too picky when buying used!

I've mostly adapted to the string spacing just fine, but I'm still not sure if I will get along with the flatter fingerboard. At the moment I have to really concentrate to keep the middle strings from buzzing on barre chords.

Tonally I prefer it to every other guitar I've ever owned, and that list has gotten rather long in the past year or so.
Old 01-22-2020, 06:57 PM

You need to go on a guitar safari - maybe Nashville. Try as many as you can get your hands on. With that budget you are sure to find the one.
Old 01-22-2020, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kh1967 View Post
All the options listed and mentioned are excellent. Yet, it holds true that playing several is a good exercise. But, I have owned several of the builders mentioned and here are some thoughts:

1. Collings OMs: Very clear with piano-like trebles. Excellent build quality. The Traditionals sound more in the traditional vintage voicing, yet the stand OMs are excellent. Regardless, a Collings needs to be played in, and I have seen too many give up on them before they come into their own. Fantastic, balanced guitars.

2. Bourgeois: Also excellent build quality and the Vintage OMs are terrifically balanced guitars. A little less chime than the Collings, but still has a good midrange presence with a lot of volume, and good bass. A little more Martin tonality to my ear.

3. Santa Cruz: A wide variety of tone from their OMs. Lightly built with, once again, excellent build quality. I have played some that ring, and others that have more of a subdued voice. One of the very best OMs I have owned was a Santa Cruz, but sold it because of its neck profile. That said, it was an outstanding OM.

4. Preston Thompson: I have not played an OM, but owned a 00. Excellent build, with a Martin-esque vibe, yet with some Collings quality too. Very clear, lots of power. Really nice people who build these guitars.

5. Martin: Warm Guitars with more of a scooped midrange. The OM28 is beloved for a reason, as well as the OM21. Workhorse guitars that cover a lot of ground. To my ear, if you like kind of a shimmer to the trebles, jump to an OM42. I think their build consistency is less than some of the others mentioned, but they build way more guitars, too - some “misses” are understandable.

Hope that helps!
I too don't like the neck profile on my otherwise very nice Santa Cruz OM. Too shallow....
Old 01-22-2020, 09:49 PM

Whipple Creek option:

https://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/149819#149819

Robert Bowlin plays Whipple Creek - that's enough for me to be on board with the luthier and his abilities.
'50's Gibson LG-1
lukegardmusic.com
Old 01-22-2020, 10:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Beamish View Post
I too don't like the neck profile on my otherwise very nice Santa Cruz OM. Too shallow....
Agreed. Their standard OMs seem to have a shallower neck than the D/PW and OM/PW models, and the voicing is more modern too.

For Sale: 2023 Collings D2H 1 3/4 Nut, Adi Bracing, NTB -- $4100 shipped
Old 01-23-2020, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandguitar View Post
Certainly from my view, Bourgeois! Dana has a stellar reputation for bringing back the OM into the modern era, is an expert in voicing his guitars (he does every guitar personally and I've attended a workshop to watch him demonstrate this), and retains a marvelous wood locker of the highest quality. I think your budget fits perfectly for a search of one of Dana's guitars. Along with only a few others, Dana has attained almost living legend status in the acoustic guitar community....well earned, in my view!!
For an OM, if you're not thinking Bourgeois, you are not thinkin' !
Old 01-23-2020, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Beamish View Post
They don't offer different neck carves? Part of my decision to go custom, even though "they don't matter" is getting every spec I want.
Old 01-23-2020, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boozehound View Post
I'm thinking about it. I have long coveted a Froggy and wondering if now might be the time to thin the herd a bit and pull the trigger.
I'm an unabashed Froggy supporter, so this definitely resonates with me.

The 'right' answer, is that you should play as many as brands as possible and not pull the trigger until you find one that speaks to you. $4K is a lot of money and you owe it to yourself to do the due diligence before settling on your next axe. Not sure where you live, but if you can make it to one of the shops that carries lots of these brands, you will be able to make a more informed decision.

You mentioned thinning the herd... I'm generally one who prefers quality over quantity, particularly, if it gives you the means to stretch your budget.

Speaking of stretching your budget... going used is the way to go. Not only will you get more bang for your buck, but more importantly, if you decide on selling it down the road, you will not lose any money. Think of it as a rental on your journey for awesome guitars!

Keep us posted on what you decide. We want pictures from your future new axe!!!!

Enjoy the journey!!!!!!

Last edited by FormerFoodie; 01-23-2020 at 08:45 AM. Reason: Didn't finish my thought!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion