The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-22-2020, 10:29 AM

I was at Trail Camp on the way to Mt. Whitney when I saw a guy with a Harmony strapped to his backpack. All I had was a Hohner Marine Band harmonica. We played Hesitation Blues before the 10,000 ft elevation tuckered me out.
Old 01-22-2020, 10:44 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hermithollow View Post
" ... I build "travel guitars" where the neck stores inside the body, and now y'all have got me thinking I should build one out of HPL/WRC for "traveling" in the great outdoors ..."
If you can figure out how to make it double as a camp stove, then you got somethin'!

Old 01-22-2020, 10:57 AM

I've never tried one but I don't think you could get much more portable than this...

https://www.amazon.com/Traveler-Guit...39&sr=8-4&th=1
Old 01-22-2020, 11:07 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Never. I want to listen to the music of the cosmos when I'm in the wilderness.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 01-22-2020, 12:12 PM

When I am in the mountain lately for some reason I do not like artificial sounds. I even hate the sound my gear/tools make on rock and ice.
Old 01-22-2020, 12:28 PM

I do overnight/multi night hikes frequently. I used to bring my LX1, put it in a water tight bag and throw it in my pack. Im a pretty tall/big person so its hard for me to play it. I own a Martin Dread JR new model now and that is my hiking guitar. Its not much bigger then the LX1 and is about the same weight. It does not have the heavy neck like the LX1 either. I wont even compare the sound. The Dread JR sounds fantastic! I use the Martin gig bag. I lock the straps onto my hiking pack and off I go. I keep an extra rain fly just for the guitar. I pack extremely light so the guitar does not slow me down much.
Old 01-22-2020, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
Never. I want to listen to the music of the cosmos when I'm in the wilderness.

Bob
This I totally agree with. Never understood seeing hikers with ear buds in their ears. I want to be able to hear nature including the black bear that is following me!
2019 Yamaha FGx5
2020 Yamaha AC3M Deluxe
2019 Yamaha FG800
2005 Taylor 214
Ibanez AEB10E Acoustic Bass
Old 01-22-2020, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billder99 View Post
Hey Steve, old thread, new question... do you know the actual scale weight of your Voyage Air guitar? It sounds perfect for 2-4 day kayak/backpack camp trips.

I have been considering the Washburn Rover... 2#-1oz, 24" scale... decent instruments with a ladder-brace boxy tone... I'd prefer the VA if the weight is near 2#.
No. I don’t have the OOM any longer. They are all inch and three-quarter nut I believe and scale is full size so I don’t know on that. Just go to voyage Air.com and they list the specs on their VAOM guitars.
If you want to see how they do backpacking go to my classified listing for the dread that I have for sale and you can see it in the backpack, on a motorcycle and on a bicycle.
Old 01-22-2020, 01:10 PM

I take my Little Martin LXK2 kayak camping. It fits into its own drybag, and can then be strapped to the rear deck.
Old 01-22-2020, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludere View Post
If you can figure out how to make it double as a camp stove, then you got somethin'!

I have used the HPL bodied ones to make lunch on at the beach (it is after all countertop material)
Old 01-22-2020, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bard Rocks View Post
I once backpacked an autoharp into the Pemi, coming in on a 2 day approach. They are heavy, but compact. A guitar, nope. A mandolin, fine. I now have a guitar with a folding neck that is a pleasure to play. One of my plans is to use it canoeing as it will fit into a dry bag. I have some ultralight and very compact gear and could feasibly take it overnight backpacking, but I'd have to want to pretty badly to put up with the hassle of stuffing it with clothes and food and finding ways to tie on bulkier items. It would be cool once you got to the campsite - and a pain in the nubs while on the trail.
I should also mention that I canoe camp quite a bit and take one of the ones below with me. I used to take a beater (Vintage Weymann that I didn't have much money into) but just did not enjoy it. So now a good one goes. it's insured and taken very good care of.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 01-22-2020, 11:24 PM

I used to Backpack a Yamaha Classical guitar into wilderness areas in high sierras in early-mid 70s. I even packed it in one time- 4 miles in on x-Country Mountain ski’s trip to an old Abandoned Boy Scout Lodge! Old lodge had cathedral high ceiling. It was worth it. Sounded like an 18th century monastery in that place with 8-10’ snow outside. Stayed for 5 days.
Old 01-23-2020, 01:12 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twitch View Post
I've never tried one but I don't think you could get much more portable than this...

https://www.amazon.com/Traveler-Guit...39&sr=8-4&th=1
Actually it can ... depending on whether you value volume over length

http://eo-guitars.com/
Old 01-23-2020, 03:59 AM
Charter Member

My backpacking days are behind me, but were I to do so now with a guitar, there's no doubt it would be a Rainsong parlor in a gig bag...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion