The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-13-2024, 09:12 AM

Default How many folks have switched to digital?

Over the past few years my rig has included less and less hardware. These days I run a Behringer Flow 8 mixer (used as an audio interface) along with an iPad mini and it is more than I could ever ask for. Using a daw/plugins on my Ipad mini was initially uncomfortable in a live situation but after countless gigs with no hiccups it feels very stable. It gives me a level of control over my live sound that would be hard to achieve with pedals. It's certainly not for everybody but the benefits it brings are huge, atleast in my case.

Anyone else enjoying the minimalist digital world?

Fingerstyle Guitar ~ Hammered Dulcimer ~ Clawhammer Banjo ~ Diatonic Harmonica ~ Anglo Concertina

Last edited by wood nacho; 03-13-2024 at 11:16 AM.
Old 03-13-2024, 09:41 AM
Charter Member

I'm sorry. I don't even know what Flow 8 is. How does it work with an iPad to be usable for a live gig
Old 03-13-2024, 10:25 AM

Well, my PA is run by a Behringer XR18 that's controlled by a tablet. I don't use the effects from the mixer on my guitar, though. I have more control when I can step on the buttons on the floor. My Grace Alix and Mooer Yellow compressor pedal are analog, but the TC HoF2 reverb pedal is digital. So I suppose you could say I have a hybrid setup.

I can't imagine running live sound via a DAW. There's no need for the complexity, as mixers (digital or not) are better designed for the task. If I do run a DAW, it's because I'm recording the live performance out of my XR18.
Old 03-13-2024, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medford Guitar View Post
I'm sorry. I don't even know what Flow 8 is. How does it work with an iPad to be usable for a live gig
The Behringer Flow 8 is a mixer that can be used as either a standard mixer or it can be connected to a computer/ipad to be used as an 8 channel audio interface

Fingerstyle Guitar ~ Hammered Dulcimer ~ Clawhammer Banjo ~ Diatonic Harmonica ~ Anglo Concertina

Old 03-13-2024, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipotle View Post
Well, my PA is run by a Behringer XR18 that's controlled by a tablet. I don't use the effects from the mixer on my guitar, though. I have more control when I can step on the buttons on the floor. My Grace Alix and Mooer Yellow compressor pedal are analog, but the TC HoF2 reverb pedal is digital. So I suppose you could say I have a hybrid setup.

I can't imagine running live sound via a DAW. There's no need for the complexity, as mixers (digital or not) are better designed for the task. If I do run a DAW, it's because I'm recording the live performance out of my XR18.
Certainly. Some DAWs would be a mess to deal with live. I've been using Loopy Pro myself. It an an incredibly flexible DAW that allows one to make a custom 'homescreen' with whatever set of buttons/knobs/switches to control whichever sound parameters. I've been enjoying how customizable it is.

Old 03-13-2024, 12:44 PM

We’re using a SoundCraft ui24 mixer. Same idea with tons of features. If I were in the market today it would be the UI16. Like you, no hiccups. Love it. Our sound is way better with this unit.

come to one of our shows just east of Atlanta!
http://mikeandkayte.com

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification