The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-13-2024, 07:08 AM

Default Pickup selections - Need recommendations

Hey everyone,
I'm in the process of planning my next guitar build, and I've been looking into pickups.

For my last build, I opted for the then newly released Fishman Matrix Infinity Mic Blend, and I absolutely love it, but pricing has increased since 2018, so I'm looking for some other options.

My main issue, is that the new guitar will have Falcate bracing, which may limit the kind of pickup I can fit.
Here's a picture for those unfamiliar with the design.

I was really interested in the new LR Baggs Hi-Fi Duet that was just announced, but I doubt it will fit on the bridge plate with the braces passing over the plate as they do.

I was talking with the luthier overlooking the build class I'm taking, and he suggested the Anthem, which has been used quite often in the past.

What's everyone's opinions or suggestions?

I don't want to cut any barn door openings in the side, so sound hole control access is a must, and I want some form of internal mic that i will be able to blend into the mix.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.
2022 Yamaha SLG200S Silent Guitar
Old 02-13-2024, 07:37 AM
Charter Member

Please explain what I am looking at in the photo. I have never seen that before.
Old 02-13-2024, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroUSA View Post
Please explain what I am looking at in the photo. I have never seen that before.
Boomerang braces?
Old 02-13-2024, 01:11 PM

Many custom builders are either building with or experimenting with Falcate bracing. It's an easy Google if anyone wants to know the specifics of the possible advantages of the bracing. Trevor Gore Guitars website has a good explanation.
Old 02-13-2024, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroUSA View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
Many custom builders are either building with or experimenting with Falcate bracing. It's an easy Google if anyone wants to know the specifics of the possible advantages of the bracing. Trevor Gore Guitars website has a good explanation.
@Aero, as Rudy mentioned, it's an alternative bracing pattern to the standard X-Brace system you normally see.
The guitar I shared is also fitted with a pickup system that is partially installed.
The braces are laminated, and pre-bent with steam, just like bending the sides of the guitar, and topped with a strip of Carbon Fiber.

Trevor Gore's theories/beliefs are that the standard X-Brace system is over engineered, and bulky, and it doesn't allow the top to move as well as it can.

It's certainly going to be interesting to compare the sound against my standard braced guitars.
Old 02-14-2024, 05:53 PM

@AeroUSA, here's another angle of the guitar top to show the bracing pattern
Old 02-28-2024, 06:45 PM

No suggestions?
Old 02-28-2024, 07:42 PM

That bracing pattern is going to make just about any pickup that needs pieces or parts to sit on the bridge plate to be a tough fit. Including the Anthem from what I can see.

How about a soundhole pickup like a Baggs M80? What is the diameter of the soundhole?
Old 02-28-2024, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zandit75 View Post
No suggestions?
What's wrong with the K&K Pure Mini style pickup as shown? The bridge pin holes are in the wrong place, but that can be modified, of course.
Old 03-05-2024, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStarfish View Post
That bracing pattern is going to make just about any pickup that needs pieces or parts to sit on the bridge plate to be a tough fit. Including the Anthem from what I can see.

How about a soundhole pickup like a Baggs M80? What is the diameter of the soundhole?
Not really a fan of that style of pickup, and also not a fan of Bagg's continual use of that cream coloured plastic. It reminds me of the ivoroid used on Martins, and is too old fashioned for me personally.
I've just listened to a couple of video reviews, and I don't think it's much better sounding than a straight Piezo strip.
Edit: A more contemporary look is the Fishman Rare Earth Mic Blend, which does look more aesthetically appealing, but very expensive too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
What's wrong with the K&K Pure Mini style pickup as shown? The bridge pin holes are in the wrong place, but that can be modified, of course.
Honestly, I'd never looked into it. It doesn't sound too bad for just a couple of transducers stuck to the soundboard, but I see a number of reviews mentioning it to be pretty quiet. I'll need to look into it more.

Please keep the suggestions coming.

Last edited by Zandit75; 03-05-2024 at 09:48 PM.
Old 03-06-2024, 10:36 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zandit75 View Post
Not really a fan of that style of pickup, and also not a fan of Bagg's continual use of that cream coloured plastic. It reminds me of the ivoroid used on Martins, and is too old fashioned for me personally.
I've just listened to a couple of video reviews, and I don't think it's much better sounding than a straight Piezo strip.
Edit: A more contemporary look is the Fishman Rare Earth Mic Blend, which does look more aesthetically appealing, but very expensive too.
I hate the ivory look of the M80 (and M1a) as well. You can easily take the screws off, separate the plastic cover from the pickup and spray paint the thing black and put it back together. Works great and gets rid of that gaudy ivory plastic look. I've done that on both the M80 and M1a. (Still got one in the pickup drawer. )

Takamine used to sell a black version of the M1 & M80. They'd charge +$50 over the Baggs price and all that was different was a black plastic cover with the Takamine logo.

Old 03-06-2024, 01:27 PM
Charter Member

Since the 70's, I've used a whole lot of different pickups for my acoustic 6 and 12 string guitars... being a professional singer/songwriter, I have always wanted something that is simple and easy to get a great sound from; I want the audience to hear my guitars the way I hear them when they're in my lap.

After all this time, I finally found something that is absolutely the best sounding pickup I've ever used. The Dazzo pickups - I believe I have 70's in both my Goodall Concert Jumbo and my Mark Angus #58 12 string, and they sound remarkable. SO much better than the K&K I had in another Goodall; head and shoulders above that pickup, honestly.

I run the Dazzos into a Bose T1 mixer, and then on to either my Bose L1 Model II or an AER Compact 60. With the T1, I don't need an additional preamp, as it has more ways to tweak the sound than I would ever need!

However, SunnAudio makes a marvelous preamp unit designed to work with the Dazzo pickups, and it sound brilliant! Sunny makes a model that installs inside the guitar, which would give you soundhole controls, as well as an outboard unit that is compact and comprehensive.

None of this is cheap stuff... but, ESPECIALLY in the world of amplifying acoustic instruments, if you go cheap, it's gonna sound cheap! I've never been willing to do that, but at the same time, I want something that's reasonably cost-effective.

I can not imagine replacing the Dazzos in my lifetime - which is admittedly getting a bit shorter with each reply I write!
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification