The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 06-18-2012, 05:37 AM
Charter Member

Default Sonic Differences Between Rainsong WS and DR models?

In looking at the specs of the difference Rainsong models, I noticed that the Dread and the WS Grand Concert shape have very similar specs from a body size perspective with the Dread being .5" longer in the overall length and lower bout width. Both are 5" deep at the end pin.

That being the case, is there a dramatic difference between the two from a sonic perspective (sound and volume), or is just a matter of body style preference for comfort and reach on the neck with the WS' cutaway?

Any insight or information would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Dave
Old 06-24-2012, 05:27 AM
Charter Member

Wow....I thought for sure someone would chime in on this one. No one compare these?
Old 06-24-2012, 05:56 AM

I've played both. Even at the same time. BUT, the strings were all over the map and RS DRs are even more rare than RainSongs, in the chain stores. I remember thinking that the WS was much more comfortable to play. And that the different string conditions/types (Sam Ash and GC seem to have a random string brand/type selection process for display stock), and CO vs. H vs. Standard, overwhelmed the nuances of WS vs. DR. Also to my eye, the cut-away on the WS is a bit extreme... Bottom line is I think they are not that far apart to the less discriminating player (of which I consider myself one). The OM is definitely quieter. I have voted Dreadnought with my money. Jon
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 06-24-2012, 10:10 AM
Guest 720

So the OM1000 is quieter than a WS1000? Very noticeable?
Old 06-24-2012, 10:12 AM
Guest 720

And the Shorty body is essentially the same as the OM1000?
Old 06-24-2012, 11:20 AM

To answer the original question, as with other brands the Rainsong dreadnought will favor the bass response whereas the WS aka Grand Auditorium will have a more balanced tone but still more bass than the shallower OM which will be the most balanced across the spectrum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammerhead View Post
So the OM1000 is quieter than a WS1000?
Not necessarily. As noted above the WS will have a little more (louder) bass response but the OM projects just as well in the mids and highs so overall there isn't that much difference in total volume.
Old 06-24-2012, 12:04 PM
Charter Member

I find RainSong DR dreadnought models to not only have a bit more bass emphasis but to also have a smoother frequency response when compared to the RainSong WS (Grand Auditorium-style) or OM models. What I mean by "smoother" is that the mid-range isn't as prominent on DR models as the other models. I find this "smoothness of tone" characteristic is similar in wooden dreadnoughts compared to OM and GA wooden body-shapes but of course they have an overall wooden tone color as compared to graphite guitars. To my ears, this why dreadnoughts sound less "nasal" or harsh than other body-shapes when played with a flatpick both acoustically and amplified. A strong mid-range tone can be very beneficial to finger-pickers--especially bare flesh and nails players--to create more presence and clarity of tone and OM and GA body-shape guitars can often deliver this better than dreadnoughts. Of course individual playing style and make and model of guitar can bend tonal comparisons between guitar body-shapes.

Regards,

RainDance (SpruceTop when lignified)
Adamas I 2087GT-8
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5

Last edited by SpruceTop; 06-24-2012 at 12:12 PM.
Old 06-24-2012, 12:32 PM

As I recall... It was Sam Ash, 48th Street, Manhattan. The only Dreadnought was a standard DR. The WSs were Hybrid or Concert. The strings were all dead and different (not Elixirs and not all phosphor or all 80/20), except for the the Hybrid which was new enough to have OK sounding stock Elixirs. All wrong for comparing guitars... I did own a S-OM concurrent with my CO-DR, and to my ear the CO-DR was brighter and louder which after two gate checks of the S-OM lead me to conclude I would be better off with a travel sized Cargo for the airport and the CO-DR for around town (it is more powerful in an acoustic jam). In the following video I tried to play the guitars the same. To my wife they all sound exactly the same :~). Jon

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWYkOpah4K0

Jon Fields
Old 06-24-2012, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted @ LA Guitar Sales View Post
To answer the original question, as with other brands the Rainsong dreadnought will favor the bass response whereas the WS aka Grand Auditorium will have a more balanced tone but still more bass than the shallower OM which will be the most balanced across the spectrum.

Not necessarily. As noted above the WS will have a little more (louder) bass response but the OM projects just as well in the mids and highs so overall there isn't that much difference in total volume.
When I shopped for my first Rainsong I had only played a Black Ice WS or OM (can't remember now which), but thought I wanted the Dread for its bass response. Ted at LA Guitar Sales was kind enough to have one of his customers play both side-by-side...over the telephone!

Even with my tinny sounding Verizon flip phone, I picked out the dread from what I heard....like an earlier poster here, that's where I voted with my money...

Acorn House Custom by Chris Kenney:Tinman "Heart Guitar" SJ
McKnight Mini-Mac V; Madagascar RW, Italian/Carpathian top; exquisite!
John Helton Custom OM; Honduran Mahogany Burl "the Growler"
Rainsong H-DR1100N2
Journey travel guitar in Nashville high tuning

"The music lives in the musician; not the instrument."
Old 06-24-2012, 03:34 PM

And to be completely indefensible and irrelevant... Ted has a 12 fret WS pictured on the LA Guitars website and I find its overall look very attractive. The shorty looks funny to me, and normally the WS cut-away looks a little extreme, but somehow the 12 fret WS looks really well proportioned. I must be Martin brainwashed too, because I find all their classic designs to be quite attractive, which is not the case with many other seemingly similar guitars. Jon

Jon Fields
Old 06-24-2012, 06:50 PM
Charter Member

Thanks to everyone for the feedback. I think I am going to do a bit more homework before I pull the trigger on something else right now.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber