The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-22-2016, 08:27 AM
Charter Member

Default question about Martin HD28

I am in the marked for a Martin Dreadnought. I really liked the hd28 I played at GC the other day. I know Martin made some major changes to the D18 in 2012 (I think). I am looking at getting one used so, I am curious: Have been any changes to the HD28 line that I should be aware of when looking at used HD28s
Old 07-22-2016, 08:47 AM
Guest 1928

Rough outline, skipping minor details, some dates approximate.

How it started...

1976-1984, scalloped braces, 1 3/8" maple bridge plate, non-adjustable neck reinforcement, low/wide back braces, full profile neck, Micarta nut and saddle, under finish black pick guard

Changes...

1984, over finish guard
1986, 1-way truss rod
1988 approx., 2" maple bridge plate and tall back braces
1992 approx., Low Profile neck
1994 approx., gold foil logo, tortoise guard
2004, bone nut and saddle
Old 07-22-2016, 09:11 AM
Charter Member

Thanks. I am not looking to go older than mid to late 2000s so it doesn't look like there have been any major changes since then.

Thanks again
Old 07-22-2016, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpbrooks View Post
Thanks. I am not looking to go older than mid to late 2000s so it doesn't look like there have been any major changes since then.

Thanks again
Just like any other acoustic guitar, if you can play it before pulling the trigger instead of ordering signs unseen. I see lot's of guys will go test drive them in local shops then go online for the "best deal" they can find. Seems like a good plan in theory, but in reality it's a crapshoot. Sure, you'll save a few bucks going that route, but even though these can be pretty consistent from one example to the next, there's no guarantee that the one you get will be to your liking, and many years down the line you'll forget about the price paid. With that said I'd never pay full retail for one, but if it came down to a small discount on one I played in persona and really liked, compared to a better deal on one sight unseen, I'd shell out for the one I played in person.

I recently had one fall into my lap in a trade, and it's an amazing guitar. Night and day difference from the D28 I used to have. Love the HD-28.
Old 07-22-2016, 04:02 PM

Martin doesn't send out any "bad" standard series guitars... (in fact they destroy the not quite right) that being said sometimes by playing a lot of them you find one with extra magic in it that makes it exceptional. Basically no 2 pieces of wood are never are ever the same.
I played over 50 D-28m D-35 and HD-28s back in 2003 before I found the one.
It was D-28 serial number S/n 9473XX
Martin guys try buy it from me a least a couple times a year.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion