The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 06-22-2023, 11:10 AM

Default 5 days on Greensleeves

This is one of those songs that everybody learns on the guitar except me! Well, until now. As fate would have it, it's one of Delcap online classical guitar class's songs this month... soooooooo here I am.

I've been practicing this song on the classical guitar for the past week, but I'm not making much progress. I'm going to be a bit selfish and start a practice thread. My last practice thread was really helpful in getting me to practice; but, alas, the increased practice time/routine was short lived. I guess it's more of a lifestyle thing so it'll probably take a while (and more effort) to get it going.

I'm going to spend 5 days on Greensleeves with this thread. Each day, I'll post an excerpt of my best performance from that day.

Here's my baseline

(Note: the Delcamp class is on classical guitar, but since this is an acoustic guitar forum, I figured that I'll play, just for this forum, on the acoustic guitar hoping you'll enjoy it more than classical. There is some challenges like string spacing and guitar orientation but nothing too bad).
Old 06-22-2023, 03:05 PM
Charter Member

I'd say your about eighty-five percent there as far playing the chords and the melody line. What's left is a stronger connection to the phrasing, the melody emphasis and micro timing decisions.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 06-22-2023, 03:31 PM
Get off my lawn kid

Nice going Jack.

BW, it's ok to play classical guitar here.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 06-23-2023, 02:14 PM

********************* DAY 1 ********************

Hey, thanks for the suggestion. I don't mind posting my classical guitar practice. Just didn't think there's any interest; I suppose 1 extra video shouldn't bother folks.

Ok, my rhythm was a bit off in the baseline video, especially on many quarter-eighth-quarter notes transition. Also, for the acoustic guitar, I'm only playing 2/3 of the song and keeping some note-value mistakes (there's a half note that I'm constantly only playing it as a quarter note). But everything sounds kind f ok

The classical guitar playing is more strict at least without any known-to-me-note-value mistakes and I play the full song.

Old 06-23-2023, 03:26 PM
Charter Member

Yeah, I was referring more to micro timing decisions for adding more interpretive expression. Say for example around the five seconds mark - which note to hold a fraction longer, which note fraction short, keeping the over all timing correct. It's an application of an interpretative feel which is often not spelled out in precision in a score.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 06-24-2023, 09:14 PM

@rick-slo thanks for the detailed explanation. I don't think I'm there yet; I think I need to be at least able to play with the correct rhythm (which I'm still struggling) before I start exploring your suggestion. (Although, when I'm noodling, I do things like what you suggested.)
Old 06-24-2023, 09:31 PM

************************* DAY 2 *********************

I wasn't really feeling like practicing today; but I figured a little practice is better than none.

I reduced the tempo to work on the timing. I decided to stand (better ergos -> better playing), but realized that I can't move because of the mic

Old 06-25-2023, 09:57 PM

***************************** DAY 3 **********************

I think I'm finally beginning to get that dotted-quarter-to-eighth-to-quarter note rhythm.

Old 06-30-2023, 12:35 AM

******************** DAY 4 **************************

I've been slacking off a bit on the practice, but I'm back with a vengeance. Put in 1/2 hour's worth of practice (ok, mostly spent on a new song, but Greensleeves isn't yet finished). I didn't get a chance to record the acoustic version today, unfortunately.

Old 06-30-2023, 09:12 AM

Good job.
Love this song.
My flatpicking version sounds almost exactly the same.
Old 06-30-2023, 10:58 AM
Get off my lawn kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackC1 View Post
******************** DAY 4 **************************

I've been slacking off a bit on the practice, but I'm back with a vengeance. Put in 1/2 hour's worth of practice (ok, mostly spent on a new song, but Greensleeves isn't yet finished). I didn't get a chance to record the acoustic version today, unfortunately.

Almost there Jack. Good job!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 07-02-2023, 02:43 AM

********************** DAY 5 ***********************

The 5th day of practie since starting this thread.

What's funny is that my classical guitar's Greensleeves above caught a Youtube copyright claim on its entirety (including my playing mistakes). I'd dispute it just to help others but Youtube wants my real name

Frankly, I've grown tired of playing Greensleeves For the last couple of practice days, the majority of my time has been put into this super-short Waltz by Niccolo Paganini (also a required song for Delcamp online class):

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write