The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 06-12-2023, 10:12 AM
Charter Member

I do enjoy performing with other musicians, even if it just a spot at the local open mic'. So, Kip, I wouldn't see this as an either or, but as doing some of both!

Generally, I prep up my set as a solo set. But I do like to play with others too, so I will send out invites for local concerts, open mic's etc to some of the musicians I know and ask if they fancy doing a song or two with me. Most recently, I contacted a friend's daughter and sent her the youtube clip of John Pine and Nancy Griffiths performing "Speed of the sound of loneliness" and asked if she wanted to sing it with me at the next event I was playing in town. She works behind the bar at the venue. She said yes, so I send her a video of me playing and singing the song for her to work off (she is a great, and experienced, singer!!!) - and so we didn't need to find practice time together. Come the evening, I bought her up on stage and we nailed the song. No one would have known that we had never actually performed it together before.

I have done the same with a local harmonica player, and had other acts ask me to sit in for various songs.

So perhaps you could do something similar, Kip? Just pick a few songs that you think would be great as duets and then simply bring in someone for specific events, rather than going down the route of being a formal duo. With modern tech, it isn't difficult to rehearse separately and then come together for the event. It does add to the excitement, and keeps some of the authentic bark on the trees as they say!!!

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.

Last edited by Robin, Wales; 06-12-2023 at 11:10 AM.
Old 06-13-2023, 06:42 AM

I am faced with this question as a necessity at the moment; my acoustic trio is down to a duo. The reason the trio was ever formed was the chemistry between us discovered when two of us played as stand-ins for a couple of performances in a mutual friend's band. That band is now super busy and our mutual friend simply doesn't have time to do both.

I have agreed to try the duo route for a jam or two, but don't have high hopes for it. Nothing to do with skills or talent, mind you, but if I have learned anything about music in the last 47 years it is that bands, large, small, or tiny, are all about the chemistry, it is the part of the music that people feel. If it is absent there is no point. We shall see...
Old 06-13-2023, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin, Wales View Post
So perhaps you could do something similar, Kip? Just pick a few songs that you think would be great as duets and then simply bring in someone for specific events, rather than going down the route of being a formal duo. With modern tech, it isn't difficult to rehearse separately and then come together for the event. It does add to the excitement, and keeps some of the authentic bark on the trees as they say!!!
All Enjoying sharing experiences- it sounds like there are some clear common threads.

Robin I agree one can have both. In fact, I get to do a lot of "hootenany" type events with friends - we have a bar across from work where we'll take turns, and like I said my former duo partner does occasionally come sit in with me to perform - and we just play together for fun at home, too! I like the shared gig, but it's not the same as really making one yours, working on the set list, creating a vibe with the audience.

All good thoughts! If anyone decides to move to Italy, we can set up a guitar circle!
Larrivee Parlor Koa Special Edition
https://soundclick.com/kiphendryandtheonestarhotel

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write