The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 06-06-2008, 04:59 PM

Default Strumming speed problem w/flatpick

These days I'm having difficulty strumming at even a moderate pace using a flatpick. I can move quickly when strumming on my left fingers without the pick (sort of like air guitar), but as soon as I have an actual guitar and flatpick in my hands, suddenly it's like my right hand is moving through water. This has been an issue for a while (probably longer than I've been aware of), and it seems to be getting worse as I get older. It doesn't matter what the style is, it's a constant in all my strumming, and it's really frustrating seeing as how I've been playing for a long time.

I suspect it comes down to tension and/or a mental block, seeing as how air guitar is easy, but it's hard to relax completely when holding a pick. I suspect some lessons would help, but money's a little tight right now, so I'm putting it out here to see if anyone has advice. It's really frustrating, and what should be fun is feeling more like a chore.

Thanks in advance!
Old 06-06-2008, 05:20 PM
Me

Chris,
I went through a stage like that a few years ago and it just went away by itself. Sorry I can't be more helpful than to confirm that I think (and hope) it is mental also.
I hope someone can offer you something more practical.

If you don't get any better offers, maybe we could perform a demon of slowness exorcism at the next So Cal gathering. I'll bring the eyes or legs of newt.
Old 06-06-2008, 05:23 PM

Where is the motion coming from, more elbow or more wrist?
Old 06-06-2008, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHP View Post
Where is the motion coming from, more elbow or more wrist?
It's more elbow. My wrist seems to tighten up relative to strumming without a pick, but the problem is almost certainly rooted in my elbow.
Old 06-13-2008, 10:39 PM

At least you're aware of the problem, that's a big part of the battle. I can only suggest given the limited info, is get back to your basics. Are you holding your arm, wrist, or pick tightly, or are your muscles free and loose? I started strumming mainly with my wrist years ago and the saved motion has really helped. Although, I don't look as "Cool" when I play now (no Pete Townshend windmills). Also, where are you strumming the strings, closer to the bridge or to the soundhole, obviously the string tension is different in each place? You're arm could have been gradually making its way to the bridge over all these years? Good luck with your quest.
Old 06-16-2008, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guit Hacker View Post
At least you're aware of the problem, that's a big part of the battle. I can only suggest given the limited info, is get back to your basics. Are you holding your arm, wrist, or pick tightly, or are your muscles free and loose? I started strumming mainly with my wrist years ago and the saved motion has really helped. Although, I don't look as "Cool" when I play now (no Pete Townshend windmills). Also, where are you strumming the strings, closer to the bridge or to the soundhole, obviously the string tension is different in each place? You're arm could have been gradually making its way to the bridge over all these years? Good luck with your quest.
Thanks -- I appreciate your feedback. I know it's difficult to diagnose these problems from a distance, but I think you have things nailed where the muscles are concerned. As I noted above, when I speed up the movement seems to fall back on my elbow, as trying to keep the pick in my fingers makes my wrist tighten up. And the frustration only makes things worse, as it makes me tighten up even more.

(Placement isn't a problem, as I'm only playing near the bridge when I want that particular sound, and I don't use it very often.)

As you say, it's time to get back to basics, and that means dropping bad habits and developing good ones. I hate the idea of starting anything over again, but as they say, the only way out is through.

Thanks again!
Old 06-16-2008, 05:38 AM

I suggest to go back to the beginning. Try to play 1/4 beats and only strum down in rhythm...and relax !!!
Old 06-16-2008, 06:52 AM
Get off my lawn kid

Try a soft pad between your strumming arm and the edge of the guitar. It sounds like pressure on a nerve may be doing it. Just an idea.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell