The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 06-06-2020, 05:47 AM

Default Measurement hdell from fellow Furch owners

I could use some precision measuring help from someone with a 14-fret Furch (I have a Red Gc, but I think they are the same across the other 14-fret models).

When I measure from the nut to the top of the 12th fret, I get 32.5 cm, but when. I measure from the top of the 12th to the front of the saddle, I get 32.7 -- meaning the string length from the 12th to the saddle is longer than from the nut to the 12th, which might explain. why I am having a hard time get intonation right (the string goes flat when fretted). This leave no room to adjust intonation on the lower strings which, because of the saddle angle, are even farther away from the 12th fret.

Thanks for any measurement help.
Old 06-06-2020, 07:07 AM

The extra length is called "compensation".

https://www.stewmac.com/articles-and...ddlematic.html
Old 06-06-2020, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonWint View Post
The extra length is called "compensation".

https://www.stewmac.com/articles-and...ddlematic.html
Based on that, my current saddle location is about right.

The issue is that my A sting is notably flat (15-18 cents flat) when fretted, especially at mid-neck, even. though the intonation is spot-on when checked open and 12th fret harmonic. All the other strings are about dead on along entire fretboard.

I have tried three different seats of strings, same problem.

I know about the natural variances in intonation on a stringed instrument, but this much flat and only on one string doesn't seem right. It sure doesn't sound good. I'm absolutely flummoxed on how to fix it.
Old 06-06-2020, 08:11 AM

Did you check the nut?

Also, I use inches but doing the conversion, I usually go closer toe .3mm ~= .1in longer for the compensation method. With the strings off.

Did you take that measurement with the guitar strung up to standard tuning?
Old 06-06-2020, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redir View Post
.3mm ~= .1in
.1" = 2.54 mm

On a 650 mm (2 x 325) scale length. Typical compensation is about 2+ mm at the high E and about 4 mm at the bass E. The exact amounts depend upon string height, string type, string gauge... but, those values will be fairly close.

If this is the instrument previously discussed, other than the previous discussion regarding wolf notes, I don't have any further suggestion as to why only 5th through 7th frets would have poor intonation on only one string and only at those frets.
Old 06-08-2020, 08:23 AM

Bah! I should just stick to English. .3mm =~ .01. Sorry about that.

None the less I'd still suggest making those measurements with no string tension. I doubt Furch got it wrong but it's worth a check.
Old 06-08-2020, 08:46 AM

String tension should make no difference in these measurements. Moving the saddle will affect intonation on all frets.
Old 06-08-2020, 02:23 PM

I like to do the compensation measurement with string tension off because bridge rotation can effectively shorten the length.
Old 06-09-2020, 05:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkipII View Post
I could use some precision measuring help from someone with a 14-fret Furch (I have a Red Gc, but I think they are the same across the other 14-fret models).

When I measure from the nut to the top of the 12th fret, I get 32.5 cm, but when. I measure from the top of the 12th to the front of the saddle, I get 32.7 -- meaning the string length from the 12th to the saddle is longer than from the nut to the 12th, which might explain. why I am having a hard time get intonation right (the string goes flat when fretted). This leave no room to adjust intonation on the lower strings which, because of the saddle angle, are even farther away from the 12th fret.

Thanks for any measurement help.

Is that a compensated nut? Or is that the scale length that this guitar is "not" suppose to be?

What does Furch say the scale length is suppose to be on this guitar, in particular?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair