The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 06-04-2020, 11:41 AM

Default Finishing after Z-Poxy grain fill

For my first two guitars I've grain filled with Z-Poxy, then finish with General Finishes water-based - about 8 coats, sand after 4th. Good results with both.

With that translucent epoxy base layer, I am wondering if I should consider fewer finish coats.

??

thanks

Kevin
Old 06-05-2020, 05:19 AM
AGF Sponsor

In most cases when pore finishing with epoxy, the product is worked into the pores with a squeegee or old credit card, with the majority being removed from the surface of the guitar leaving a minimum of it on the surface and most of it in the pores, with sanding removing some of what is left on the surface. I've never used less of my final finish because of the epoxy fill. I think there would more worry about sanding through the finish if I did.
Old 06-05-2020, 02:37 PM

I leave a thin layer of epoxy on the surface (no exposed wood), which seems to be the common method - though I believe some folks sand back to bare wood.

Sanding through the finish is a legitimate concern, so thanks for that.
Old 06-05-2020, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmanuele View Post
I leave a thin layer of epoxy on the surface (no exposed wood), which seems to be the common method - though I believe some folks sand back to bare wood
When you dont sand back to bare wood after application then your using it as a finish coat

There is no recipe for finish work, its what works for you.

Finish coats can be made up in anyway you wishincluding a z poxy coat, Some manufacturers like ovation use epoxy as their finsh coat.

Many times when restoring old guitars where people want the nitro feel but the strength of modern paints, I will seal the wood in a shellac or z poxy or uv sealer or what I have laying around att the time, then base coat the guitar in an acrylic or nitro, then follow up in a 2 pack poly urethane and then lay down some thin nitro coats.

Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE

Last edited by mirwa; 06-05-2020 at 06:59 PM.
Old 06-06-2020, 06:29 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmanuele View Post
I leave a thin layer of epoxy on the surface (no exposed wood), which seems to be the common method - though I believe some folks sand back to bare wood.

Sanding through the finish is a legitimate concern, so thanks for that.
I should have mentioned that I also leave a thin layer of epoxy on the wood, and do not sand back to bare wood. After the last epoxy pore fill coat I will sand the epoxy until it is a flat surface and dull but not to bare wood, then I spray my finish.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Tags
z-poxy