The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 05-05-2021, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonfields45 View Post
I've tried one of these and it feels pretty much like a regular guitar, even seated.

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Travele...00000209497.gc

The built-in headphone amp has no reverb and I would add a Mustang Micro to have the perfect setup. MF has it too and you get 8% points.
Glad to hear that you like it. I’m re-looking at the Traveler stuff. Their line-up is so confusing!
Emerald X30 Woody
Traveler EG-1 Custom
Old 05-06-2021, 08:02 AM

For the OP - The little Blackstar looks like a nice one. I know that it's apples to oranges but I have a recent Erlewine Chiquita (little guitar in Back to the Future) and I like it - very short scale of 19". You have to stop comparing these short scale little ones to a regular guitar. Playing one is a matter of adaptation.

Many players will use a Telecaster with a capo at the 5th or even 6th fret (Clarence Carter) - that's the way to think of these. Also the shorter scale needs heavier strings. I use 0.13's on my Chiquita and still tune up a bit. You really can't bend one of these to your will - it's and instrument and you have to learn to play it. Short scale with heavy strings is finger style magic.

That said this small ones are cozy. They are great with a stuffed chair and blanket in cold weather.
Old 05-06-2021, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadzmad View Post
For the OP - The little Blackstar looks like a nice one. I know that it's apples to oranges but I have a recent Erlewine Chiquita (little guitar in Back to the Future) and I like it - very short scale of 19". You have to stop comparing these short scale little ones to a regular guitar. Playing one is a matter of adaptation.

Many players will use a Telecaster with a capo at the 5th or even 6th fret (Clarence Carter) - that's the way to think of these. Also the shorter scale needs heavier strings. I use 0.13's on my Chiquita and still tune up a bit. You really can't bend one of these to your will - it's and instrument and you have to learn to play it. Short scale with heavy strings is finger style magic.

That said this small ones are cozy. They are great with a stuffed chair and blanket in cold weather.
Thanks so much for this! I am struggling with too many choices. I want something really small and simple. I kept thinking to myself, if people can play a ukulele and love it, why not a tiny guitar? And I’m very much a beginner and haven’t ventured too much past the 12th fret anyway, let alone learn how to bend strings yet! And I love your thoughts about a cozy chair and a blanket!

Many, many thanks.
Emerald X30 Woody
Traveler EG-1 Custom

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars