The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 04-28-2021, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankHudson View Post
...Let me put in a pitch for considering P90 pickups instead of humbuckers. Obviously the humbucker 335 type guitars can sound great, but I think the P90 offers more versatility. Both my 339 and Starfire react well to changes in volume and pick attack, and when you turn up the guitars volume, the 339 can drive the front end of an amp as much or more than the corresponding Epi 335's humbuckers. But turned down and plucked more softly they have a lovely clarity...
I've always found the Gibson semis a little "thick" sounding - great for jazz, blues, and some rock styles, but far from the "Swiss Army" electric some might lead you to believe. I'm with Frank here regarding the P-90's, to which I'll add the mini-buckers featured on the '60s Kalamazoo Epiphones as well as similarly-equipped semis by other makers - Guild Starfire (LB-1), Gretsch Players' Edition/MIK Electrromatic 5600-Series (Filter'Tron/Super Hi-lo'Tron), Collings I-35 TV Jones, et al.: covers all the aforementioned genres, as well as others that require more "chime" and clarity...
Old 05-08-2021, 02:14 AM

Up to now I had 4 Gibson Es335 (1966 to 1982) and an Es 345.
The last from 1967 and all were great versatile guitars. I also had Ibanez As 200 from the 80th, a recent As153 and a japanese Epi Sheraton. All good guitars, but some month ago I got a Guild Starfire IV, US made in 2007. It blew me away, most dynamic and transparent sound of all. I could cover all genres and styles.

Roland Kalus

https://rolandkalus.bandcamp.com/alb...le-autumn-blue
Mcilroy A30
Stevens 000-P
Yairi OM
Martin Duwe OM 12fret Cut
Stevens OM-P
Martin Duwe Crossover

AER Amps and PA-Systems
Old 05-08-2021, 02:46 AM

A 335 type guitar with 4 wire pickups that can give parallel, series or single coils is one of the most versatile guitars around....... I have a 1980 Ibanez AS200 configured this way, and it works fine for jazz (very close to my 1961 ES-175D in sound), blues, or rock. The only sounds you won't get are a tele twang, a Gretsch chimy crunch, or a Rickenbacker jangle.

If I have to play a mixed set I will take the AS200 or sometimes an Ibanez Artist AR2619 Prestige (a Les Paul killer with tri-sound humbuckers) if a more strident sound is needed in an acoustically dead venue.
Old 05-08-2021, 08:09 AM

I don't think I can add much to this discussion - except to say I love my two 335 style guitars. They are comfortable and extremely versatile. They can do anything. I don't particularly like 3 pickup guitars, so all of my electrics have one or two pickups. Right now, there is something extra special about my Sheraton - I slightly prefer it over my 335, although the 335 is not going anywhere.
Old 05-08-2021, 12:40 PM

I have an ES335 and a Telecaster. They cover a lot of ground for me.

I do like P-90s though.
Old 05-08-2021, 01:11 PM
Guitar Gourmet

Typical session form 2010-ish, though these days the Tele frequently substitutes for the Strat and I work with a Helix.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 05-08-2021, 01:19 PM

I agree with that. I use mine for jazz, 50’s and early/mid 60’s rock and roll and 30’s and 40’s standards.
Old 05-11-2021, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
I've always found the Gibson semis a little "thick" sounding - great for jazz, blues, and some rock styles, but far from the "Swiss Army" electric some might lead you to believe. I'm with Frank here regarding the P-90's, to which I'll add the mini-buckers featured on the '60s Kalamazoo Epiphones as well as similarly-equipped semis by other makers - Guild Starfire (LB-1), Gretsch Players' Edition/MIK Electrromatic 5600-Series (Filter'Tron/Super Hi-lo'Tron), Collings I-35 TV Jones, et al.: covers all the aforementioned genres, as well as others that require more "chime" and clarity...
And I have exactly the opposite experience. I'll call it a love/hate experience. I just can't get the tone I want out of this, my mini-humbucker equipped Gibson 325. Once in a while I get "that" tone but I always fail to jot down the settings and I can't duplicate it. I bought this on a whim, I don't know how else to describe it. A guy I follow was using it for a lesson from Gruhn Guitars. I fell in love. I talked to the guy giving the lesson and Greg Voros, Gruhn's head Luthier. They both raved about it. And it is a great guitar. For a jazz guy it might be perfect. but I can't get that "thick" sound you described. Not consistantly. And this photo doesn't do it justice. It is much darker red. It's gorgeous! But I should sell it. I've started a couple times. But then pulled it!
Old 05-11-2021, 11:33 AM

To rewrite part of the 14 year old first post:

More than one person lauds the Telecaster's ability to cross over genres, saying it's good for blues, classic rock, and jazz.
and a guitar-shaped-object
Old 05-11-2021, 11:52 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by perttime View Post
To rewrite part of the 14 year old first post:

More than one person lauds the Telecaster's ability to cross over genres, saying it's good for blues, classic rock, and jazz.
My two most-used electrics in the studio: ES-335 and Tele. They are both very flexible and can sort of overlap in tonalities. The ES-335 is my favorite instrument that I have to force myself not to play all the time. We are mates. If I could find a Tele with a Gibson-scale neck that still sounded like a Tele I'd be in pig heaven. Round and full? ES-335. Wiry? Tele.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 05-12-2021, 01:48 AM

A 335 with coil split and series/parallel split will take you most places quite easily. My 1980 Ibanez AS200 does this well and I bought it in preference to several Gibson 335s I tried....... Of course YMMV
In modern 335 styles the Seventy Seven Exrubato has really impressed me for its quality

Last edited by Ray175; 06-10-2021 at 02:51 AM.
Old 05-12-2021, 05:52 AM

I LOVE ES 335 guitars for sure.

I own 5 Tele's as well,but the "Classic" Tele configuration is not as versatile for me as my 335's.

The ONLY Tele "Style" guitar that's more versatile than my 335's is my Tom A Hollow T Drop Top, and it's one of the most versatile guitars in my collection.

'81 Martin 7-28 7/8 D-28
'03 Taylor Jumbo Custom
'04 Ramirez 1-E Classical
'09 Breedlove Roots OM/SR acoustic/electric
‘15 Martin Centennial DC - 28E
Old 05-12-2021, 12:20 PM

The Gibson ES-347 is a good buy.
Old 05-12-2021, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matonanjin View Post
...I just can't get the tone I want out of this, my mini-humbucker equipped Gibson 325...For a jazz guy it might be perfect, but I can't get that "thick" sound you described...It's gorgeous! But I should sell it. I've started a couple times. But then pulled it!

- and that's precisely what I said about the mini-buckers, that they're designed for a "lighter" sound with more chime and clarity. Don't know what kind of amp you're using, but as a (very) general rule I'd stay away from the British stuff and lay off the "bright" switch on the USA gear, and look for something in a more early-50's "tweed" vein; IME since they were directed at postwar jazzers - all of whom were using some sort of single-coil pickup - they're voiced somewhat "darker" than most later fare (especially the single-ended Class-A combos that are all the rage as home-practice/recording amps among tone-savvy players). FYI a speaker swap can also help to take some edge off the tone and fatten up the bottom end; if you have a 1x12"/2x12" combo an Eminence Swamp Thang will get the job done (as well as increasing both headroom and perceived volume - my Bugera V22 will hang with any of my higher-power rigs, while still useable for home practice) but be advised they're heavy - not quite in the JBL/EV bracket, but a pair will add about 15 pounds to a typical 2x12" combo - so you might want to take that into consideration...
Old 05-12-2021, 05:42 PM

I had a Heritage 535 I want back! Incredible guitars. Gorgeous and flawless QC. I will get another. Certainly awesome for the (still somewhat hefty) price tag.

Gretsch 6228FM
Fender Troy Van Leeuwen Jazzmaster
Michael Tuttle T style

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars