The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-30-2017, 10:44 AM

Consider Martin's Mexican made models, Larrivee, Gibson's new lower priced models, Taylor's 100-300 series. If you're looking for an American made iconic model, you'll need about $1,600 to $2,000 for the used ones.
Old 11-30-2017, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in TC View Post
I agree...I loved (now sold) the simple, no frills look and great sound of my Martin 000-15M.
It's funny bc I hear a lot of love about this line, but also a lot of people letting them go. Could one reason be because it has a more bassy feel?
Old 11-30-2017, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
Consider Martin's Mexican made models, Larrivee, Gibson's new lower priced models, Taylor's 100-300 series. If you're looking for an American made iconic model, you'll need about $1,600 to $2,000 for the used ones.
I was worried someone might say that : ) Well in spite of my no-fly list, I'm not only looking for American made iconic models. Some of those brands I mentioned is less about where it is made, and more about feel/sound/look etc.
Old 11-30-2017, 10:53 AM

I play similarly (except that I interchangeably use fingertips and a pick) and have had two guitars that are absolutely wonderful for that: A Martin SWOMGT (no longer made) and a Martin 000-15 (mine is a custom gloss made in '07). The SWOMGT had a wider nut but otherwise, I find that they are both great for both fingerpicking and strumming and have a nice, comfortable sound that works well for accompanying my voice. The 000-15M is currently available new for about $1300, and if you can find a used one in good shape, you should be able to do it for a lot less than $1500.
Old 11-30-2017, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by microscope View Post
- no Yamaha, Seagull, Godin, Blueridge, Epiphone, Takamine, Ovation, Rainsong, Mitchell, Ibanez
- Budget is $1500 and under (all in)
- Playing style is fingerpicking/strum blend mainly focused around folk, country, soul, reggae.
- I play medium strong, use finger tip rather than picks/nails, and don't like too bright or too bassy.
- specific models pls
- size btw 000 and Jumbo
- with or without electronics/cutaway (but looking for solid sound plugged and unplugged)
- no black or other color guitars pls (mild sunburst ok)
- new or used (but used is hard to find locally for me)
- no boutique guitars pls
- no bells and whistles that add to the cost and sacrifice on quality/sound

Thanks in advance
Focus on trying Taylors and Martins. Models, you will have to try them to decide on that; just focus on those in your price range. I don't recommend doing the online thing unless you have no other choice.

But question:
"no Yamaha, Seagull, Godin, Blueridge, Epiphone, Takamine, Ovation, Rainsong, Mitchell, Ibanez"

When it comes to acoustics or these brands in general "Yamaha; Epiphone; and Ibanez" I feel the same. But the others which a couple not familiar with, why not?
Old 11-30-2017, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truckjohn View Post
Size between a 000 and a Jumbo means a Dread....

Within those criteria....
New $1,500 Martin, Taylor, Gibson or Guild dread. Pick your specific model based on what you want..

Used - $1,500 wil get you a J-45, D-18, or Taylor 510...

For me personally - I would do used as you can get a lot more guitar for the money..
I would take a used D-18 over a new 15 series Martin.. But that's me....
Trouble is there is very little used locally and I'm not so comfortable buying from away. Prefer to test them out in-person with an expert buddy of mine. Can be damaged/repaired, lemons, not original parts, scams, sketchy sellers, warped neck, hairline cracks, etc. What is your experience with this?
Old 11-30-2017, 10:58 AM

Quote:
It's funny bc I hear a lot of love about this line, but also a lot of people letting them go. Could one reason be because it has a more bassy feel?
I don't know that 'bassy' is an accurate description. I'd say that 'mellow' is actually more accurate. To me, they have a more balanced and less 'zingy' tone than a comparable spruce-and-rosewood model.
Old 11-30-2017, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fingerguy View Post
But question:
"no Yamaha, Seagull, Godin, Blueridge, Epiphone, Takamine, Ovation, Rainsong, Mitchell, Ibanez"

When it comes to acoustics or these brands in general "Yamaha; Epiphone; and Ibanez" I feel the same. But the others which a couple not familiar with, why not?
See updated OP but basically it's a combo of where they are made and/or design, look, feel, etc.
Old 11-30-2017, 10:59 AM

Quote:
See updated OP but basically it's a combo of where they are made and/or design, look, feel, etc.
No thanks, not doing the shopping for you; suggestion made, up to you now.

Last edited by fingerguy; 11-30-2017 at 11:13 AM.
Old 11-30-2017, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsman View Post
I don't know that 'bassy' is an accurate description. I'd say that 'mellow' is actually more accurate. To me, they have a more balanced and less 'zingy' tone than a comparable spruce-and-rosewood model.
Is that why you let it go? And would you say a Taylor is a good example of the more zingy tone?
Old 11-30-2017, 11:27 AM

I recommend you go to a shop and try some guitars. Some of the brands you want to avoid are the brands that build some of the best guitars in your price range. You’re limiting yourself. Increase your budget, or challenge your preconceived notions about brands and quality. Yamaha, for instance, makes one of the very best all solid wood models below $1000 with the LL16. Seagull makes outstanding solid topped guitars at very low price points.
Old 11-30-2017, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
I recommend you go to a shop and try some guitars. Some of the brands you want to avoid are the brands that build some of the best guitars in your price range. You’re limiting yourself. Increase your budget, or challenge your preconceived notions about brands and quality. Yamaha, for instance, makes one of the very best all solid wood models below $1000 with the LL16. Seagull makes outstanding solid topped guitars at very low price points.
I agree with you almost 100%; I never found a Yamaha I liked (bass or guitar).
Old 11-30-2017, 12:04 PM

I would get a used j-45.
Old 11-30-2017, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Was not that for me...I found myself seduced by the dark side (carbon) and shorter scale (brought on by a GS Mini) that was leaving the Martin languishing in its nicely humidified case while the durable carbon guitar or, at the time, the GS Mini, was on a hook and handy. I found the 000-15M nicely balanced to my ear.
Old 11-30-2017, 12:06 PM

I say Larrivee OM-03. Used if possible will get you in at $1000. New will cost you about $1500. I've got a buddy that has one. Sounds terrific. He added an L.R. Baggs soundhole pickup and it gigs very well.
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
acoustic, steel string