The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 04-14-2018, 07:59 PM
Charter Member

Default the great storm, that wasn't

We've been inundated with dire warnings of a devastating ice storm. We are already under a driving ban. They predicted up to 0.5 to 1.0" of ice accumulation. That is an unheard of amount of ice and would be incredibly damaging. I started up the generator and loaded up the firewood rack.

This storm has been raging for eight hours now.

Ummmmm, we got about a quarter inch of granular snow. I can still see the grass blades.

You can call off the National Guard. Good job whipping everyone into another panic hysteria frenzy glued to their news channels.

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 04-14-2018, 08:08 PM

It is always "interesting" to see someone complain about getting weather that is better than what was forecast.....
Old 04-14-2018, 08:25 PM
Charter Member

Oh I'm not complaining. I'm glad for the mild weather. I was mildly ridiculing the news who exaggerated the predictions considerably.

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240

Last edited by fazool; 04-14-2018 at 08:30 PM.
Old 04-14-2018, 09:20 PM
G625 mistral-k

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazool View Post
Oh I'm not complaining. I'm glad for the mild weather. I was mildly ridiculing the news who exaggerated the predictions considerably.
Glad to hear the weather is not as severe as predicted for your region tonite, others may not be so fortunate. Meteorology is not an exact science and for them to possibly err on the side of caution is likely welcome by First Responders and Law Enforcement, rather than have an un-prepared public or even worse, would be to have then out and about. Rather than ridiculing the media weather predictions, I would simply choose not to watch it, which probably explains why we do not have cable or a digital antenna. We gotten by with a generator, sleeping bags, a gas grill and the Weather Underground via internet quite well for a decade or more. YMMV
Old 04-15-2018, 04:17 AM
Charter Member

Good for you. It didn't miss us this time.

And I'm sick and tired of saying that's the last snow storm this season.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 04-15-2018, 05:38 AM

Be fair - nobody is going to watch a news story about "more or less seasonable weather this weekend".

More importantly, nobody is going to watch the commercials that accompany that story.

Hey, it was you people who wanted 24/7/365 "news" coverage. They gotta fill up that space with something ... enjoy!

Last edited by frankmcr; 04-15-2018 at 05:47 AM.
Old 04-15-2018, 06:20 AM
Charter Member

Unfortunately, the "Snownami" predicted here in MSP was spot on. Well over a foot of snow.
Old 04-15-2018, 07:07 AM

Quote:
We've been inundated with dire warnings of a devastating ice storm. We are already under a driving ban. They predicted up to 0.5 to 1.0" of ice accumulation. That is an unheard of amount of ice and would be incredibly damaging. I started up the generator and loaded up the firewood rack.

Ummmmm, we got about a quarter inch of granular snow. I can still see the grass blades.

You can call off the National Guard. Good job whipping everyone into another panic hysteria frenzy glued to their news channels.
Lucky you don't live in S.Ontario-ice build-up of 15-20 mm. followed by 20-30 mm. rain tomorrow. Count your blessings and take the weather bulletins for what they are. Silly post.
Old 04-15-2018, 07:17 AM
Musical minimalist

Pretty ugly here in Central lower Michigan.

Old 04-15-2018, 07:18 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by M19 View Post
Unfortunately, the "Snownami" predicted here in MSP was spot on. Well over a foot of snow.
Wow... go South, young man.
Old 04-15-2018, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitram View Post
Lucky you don't live in S.Ontario-ice build-up of 15-20 mm. followed by 20-30 mm. rain tomorrow. Count your blessings and take the weather bulletins for what they are. Silly post.
Indeed. Perhaps the real issue is location location location. When my inlaws were able to they moved to Florida and every time they call (they rarely visit) all we hear of is how beautiful the weather is. Ironically they don’t seem to mind the hurricanes so much year after year.

EDIT: BTW, the OP lives in Buffalo, NY so he should be used to the "lake effect" factor and if the hype didn't hold up then he should be happy. I have to admit, I'm 4 hours south and Florida was looking good for the past couple of months.

Last edited by Neil K Walk; 04-15-2018 at 08:15 AM.
Old 04-15-2018, 07:52 AM

I hear the weather complaints here but I always chuckle when people don't listen to the whole forecast. Its not unusual that the temp is right on the edge of freezing. Literally one degree dictates whether we get a ton of snow or just a soggy day. Our forecasters always point that out but people seem to forget that part.
Old 04-15-2018, 08:35 AM

We got 6-7 inches of wet snow yesterday, about that much on the ground right now and still falling. It's supposed to taper off tonight into tomorrow morning. I've never seen this much snow here in April. The prediction for this area was on the money.

2005 Gibson J-45
1985 Guild D17
2012 Fender Am. Std. Stratocaster
1997 Guild Bluesbird
Old 04-15-2018, 08:50 AM

Quote:

The rain is coming tonight, with high winds. The prediction is that widespread outages will begin this PM and into the morning. This is the calm before the storm.

Ensure you have non perishables, flashlights, candles, extra cloths and bedding. This is going to hit hard today here in Toronto, you might get a break an hour South but be prepared.

I hope to heavens you are right. The seniors, thousands of them here, who live alone, with no heat or light, is a distressing reality if you are not.
Old 04-15-2018, 08:56 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerbie View Post
Wow... go South, young man.
South? I think Mankato got as much or more than us...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic