The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 10-28-2013, 01:52 PM

Default What if I can't sing?

For no good reason Neils "Nowadays Clancy Can't Even Sing" is stuck in my head...
Not sure how to word this, but how do those of you who know that they sing worse than a dying frog, play a song for a friend/family member?
I have recorded myself and all the results should be at the bottom of the river. The deep part.
Thing is, as my playing slowly improves, so does the desire to play for others, but...
Thinking next year of a few singing lessons along with some guitar, but for now?
Old 10-28-2013, 02:24 PM

Im so sorry that no one has replied yet. For me practice worked. I feel like when Im alone and can get most out of me that helps me. More singing = more accurate uhmm tonality and more loud singing in low and high positions = wider vocal range. Dont you worry if your throat hurts just a tiny bit after singing. Im not the talented guy either yet my results prove the hardwork (hardwork - singing in shower when no one s at home) . Alltho people still like my singing more than I do as I know where I started

Timothy
Old 10-28-2013, 02:27 PM

Sing anyway. As you're playing improves, so will you're singing.
et al
Old 10-28-2013, 02:29 PM

I can't sing, and I know it... which is why all my CDs are instrumental music.

But like many people who can't sing, I like to sing.

If you want to sing well, then lessons are a good investment. I received some excellent tips from people who are really, really good singers... and they moved me from sounding like a "dying cat" to only sounding like a "wounded cat."

2005 Hamblin SJ (cedar/flamed mahogany)

www.jimtozier.com
Old 10-28-2013, 02:42 PM

I cannot recommend voice lessons highly enough. Almost anyone, with proper instruction, can learn to sing at least decently. There is a lot of technique to proper singing. Some people manage to pull it off without training. Other people manage to sing well in spite of poor technique. However, most people really need training to develop a truly good voice.

I also recommend not putting it off. The longer you spend singing with poor technique, the harder it is to unlearn the bad habits.

If you don't care about singing, there's absolutely nothing wrong with being an instrumentalist. However, if you like to sing and are unhappy with your voice, please try to find a vocal instructor. You won't regret it.
Old 10-28-2013, 02:58 PM

I actually think I can sing reasonably well; not a professional by a long shot but I can hold a tune, harmonize, have pretty good volume, sing from my chest and an ok range. My problem is I just don't like the tonal quality sound of my voice. I sound like the wimpy character in a Disney movie. Can lessons change the shape of my head?
Herrmann Weissenborn
Recording King RP-10
Recording King RG-35-SN Lapsteel
Maton 425 12-string
ESP 400 series telecaster
Eastman T485
Deering Americana Banjo
My Youtube
Old 10-28-2013, 03:02 PM

I recall a quote from Leo Kottke where he said his voice sounds like a duck fart on a cold November morning. I'm not far behind. However, I recently took a shot at writing a protest song and recording it on Soundcloud then posting it on Facebook. I included the disclaimer that after fluid buildup scarring in my lungs from 18 major surgeries I could no longer sing. A friend who is a heavy hitter Nashville songwriter reposted it on his page and Vince Gill's touring partner and writer of most of his songs agreed with my friend that my voice made the protest song "believable". I was on cloud 9. I'm currently in the process of having it professionally recorded during the course of three Saturday mornings in a row at a professional studio with an excellent producer. The playbacks so far are astounding. I got an insight as to how modern technology can make a decent singer out of ANYONE apparently!
Old 10-28-2013, 03:04 PM

It's not how well you use your voice. What matters is how you use your voice.

Many people can talk/sing better than most people can sing. John Lee Hooker comes to mind first. I wouldn't say Johnny Cash had a great singing voice. But he surely did have an interesting voice and a way with lyrics. Yul Brenner never sang a note in "The King and I", nor did Rex Harrison.

If your preference is for songs which require crystal clear notes, take some lessons. If your playing accommodates a looser vocal style, work to create what is unique about your own voice.
Old 10-28-2013, 03:07 PM

I agree with lessons. Problem is finding a GOOD vocal coach. Not just somebody that sings and thinks they can impart that.

There are techniques and drills and stuff that can improve what ever natural ability that you have. A good teacher will know them. And it CAN make a huge difference.
Old 10-28-2013, 03:21 PM
Charter Member

Default What if I can't sing?

I bought Singing Success by Brett Manning. Good investment even for just the drills you can sing along with. After finding coupons and with a sale, I think I paid $135 or $150 or so. Nope, not as good as a live coach, but excellent for developing practice habits and learning basic techniques.

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)
Old 10-28-2013, 04:10 PM

If you truly cannot sing, and yet you wish to play songs, well, the obvious thing is to find someone who can sing, yet may or may not be able to play an instrument...sounds like the beginning of a band!

For my part, I think there's many, many people out there who think they can't sing, but really could, if they just would practice it more. A good case in point is Leo Kottke...he thinks he sounds terrible, yet the few songs that I've heard him sing, are not all that bad--certainly, his playing far exceeds his singing, though.

As for myself, I think I'm ok at singing--actually love it--and I sing every day, whether in the car, the shower, or in my practice room. Although I don't like my recorded voice much, I'm told by others that I'm good, which is nice, but either way, sing I must!
Taylor 150E
Taylor Limited Edition 326ce 8-string baritone
Various other instruments
Old 10-28-2013, 05:01 PM

Boy the song you mention is not an easy song to sing. Have you tried different tunings to try and suit your voice? I have to drop my guitar a full step to sing NY's stuff. I just started trying a full step and a half and like it. Much lower and my strings will start sagging! I enjoy hearing anyone sing if they enjoy singing and want to share. I wasted a lifetime not singing for people cause I thought I could not sing. Sing like no ones listening.

My Soundcloud Page

https://soundcloud.com/membler-1

'68 D18
Martin 00-28VS Maury's Music Custom
Eastman Travel Guitar
Martin LX Travel Guitar
Greven 12 Fret FX
E20SS Eastman
00-15 Martin
Collings 000-2h
Gold Tone AC-6 6 string banjo
Voyage Air VAOM-02
'52 RI Tele
Old 10-28-2013, 05:48 PM

And again thanks for all the replies. I suppose that I would classify myself as advanced beginner. Whatever. What I mean is when playing to a family / friend / tape deck, whatever, there is that fine line that they will catch what song you are playing or they will not, depending on if vocals are included.
And then is when I sound, how else could I say "embarrassing".
Sorry not really anything to do with Neil Young.
I can blow thru "Love and War" for example but say my recording of his song "Harvest", my playing is not so bad but my singing is terrible.
This is yet another one of those beginner type hurdles I suppose, maybe it is only in my mind but all of my songs can sound similar in my mind without singing and that is what I mean by I can't sing, I sound terrible.
Did any of this make sense to you rock / country stars?
Old 10-28-2013, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdq View Post
I actually think I can sing reasonably well; not a professional by a long shot but I can hold a tune, harmonize, have pretty good volume, sing from my chest and an ok range. My problem is I just don't like the tonal quality sound of my voice. I sound like the wimpy character in a Disney movie. Can lessons change the shape of my head?
Lessons won't change the shape of your head, but they will allow you to use resonating spaces you're not using. The sound of your voice can change dramatically with training.

It's not just about practicing singing, it's about learning proper technique. I will guarantee that anyone who can come close to carrying a tune can develop a decent to good voice through training.
Old 10-28-2013, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverwolf View Post
For no good reason Neils "Nowadays Clancy Can't Even Sing" is stuck in my head...
Not sure how to word this, but how do those of you who know that they sing worse than a dying frog, play a song for a friend/family member?
I have recorded myself and all the results should be at the bottom of the river. The deep part.
Thing is, as my playing slowly improves, so does the desire to play for others, but...
Thinking next year of a few singing lessons along with some guitar, but for now?
I would have to hear you sing, but to me, if you can sing in key, then you're good to go. If not, then I would suggest you learn some guitar techniques so that your guitar can hold its own. Play the melodies on your guitar as you play the chords and stuff like that.

If you can sing on key, but you don't like the tone so much, or you find the range tough, then I think you're ok, you just need to work on it.

You don't need a great voice to sing. Lots of singers, don't necessarily have a great voice. But they find their voice, and find a style that suits it, and sing on key.

Since you yourself think your voice deserves to be on the bottom of a lake, I think that might be a good sign, because you can hear you are making mistakes.

Since you can, I think YouTube videos and practice will help a lot, mostly practice. But I'm sure singing lessons would help as well.

I'm not the greatest singer in the universe, but I have learned a lot about my voice and what is possible with it and what is not, and it has grown quite a bit, and is still growing.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write