The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 04-20-2018, 09:54 AM

Default Best place to read car reviews?

Looks like we are probably in the market for another vehicle. After 6 great years with the suburban, we are exploring other vehicles.

One thing that frustrates me about reading "real" car reviews is that it's sometimes difficult find reviews for car, say a 2012 Honda Pilot, that were written past 2012-2013. It's like people say, "I bought my brand new Honda last month, and I have to say it's been really reliable! Everything works just as it's supposed to! Best car I've ever had!" Of course it's been reliable - it's only a month old.

I want to read reviews of people who have actually driven a car for 5-6 years. I've been to KBB, Consumer Reports, Edmunds, and others. Any other ones I should check out?
Old 04-20-2018, 10:15 AM

Try some different car forums. When I was shopping for a used vehicle in January I found some great info on the Toyota and Honda forums which were the two makes I was interested in.

AKA 'Screamin' Tooth Parker'

You can listen to Walt's award winning songs with his acoustic band The Porch Pickers @ the Dixie Moon album or rock out electrically with Rock 'n' Roll Reliquary

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
Squier Classic Vibe 50s Stratocaster
Squier Classic Vibe Custom Telecaster
PRS SE Standard 24
Old 04-20-2018, 10:42 AM

Well, a car driven for 5-6 years won't address a new vehicle - only a 5-6 year old vehicle. I drive them, look on the forums for that model for problems that have surfaced - for that model and maybe the previous year, and buy, or not, the car. Most new cars are so good you're only looking at minor issues like knobs, trims and little issues. For me, just like guitars, I don't care what dozens of unknown internet reviews say - it's what I think about the car when I drive it. Afterwards, I'm only looking for major issues that have surfaced.
Old 04-20-2018, 11:35 AM
Charter Member

You've probably already checked this out:
https://www.consumerreports.org/used...cars-by-price/

Are there people you know in your area, or repair shops whose advice you trust, that can recommend models that have held up well for your driving needs? Our family has had great luck with Toyotas, including 2011 and 2012 Sienna Vans, and two Camrys (160K+ on both). The Camrys weren't as much fun to drive as my 2016 Honda Accord, but they are very comfortable and reliable. If I was looking for used vehicles, first choice would be Honda or Toyota. Good luck with your search.
Strandberg Boden Original 6
Eastman T185MX
G&L ASAT Classic USA Butterscotch Blonde
Rickenbacher Lap Steel
Voyage-Air VAD-2
Martin SW00-DB Machiche
1968 Guild F-112
Taylor 322e 12 Fret V Class
Old 04-20-2018, 12:22 PM

I may be seeing my mechanic later today actually, and I thought about asking him.

As of right now, the vehicle in question is the 2007 Chevy Denali XL with the 6.2 motor and an automatic 6-speed.

Another issue is the idea that people may only post whenever they have problems.

I'll keep searching around.

Thanks again!
Old 04-20-2018, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seannx View Post
You've probably already checked this out:
https://www.consumerreports.org/used...cars-by-price/

Are there people you know in your area, or repair shops whose advice you trust, that can recommend models that have held up well for your driving needs? Our family has had great luck with Toyotas, including 2011 and 2012 Sienna Vans, and two Camrys (160K+ on both). The Camrys weren't as much fun to drive as my 2016 Honda Accord, but they are very comfortable and reliable. If I was looking for used vehicles, first choice would be Honda or Toyota. Good luck with your search.
The looks much the same 2015+ Siennas have a MUCH better dashboard, more insulation, and some chassis stiffness and tweaks. All are good but knowing both I'd consider that mid life changed model. Later models have also inched the horsepower to 292.

Something funny about this starting with Suburban and mentioning Sienna. An associate has both in the family. It's hard for his ego to admit how much room the Sienna has, how much power it has, and what a piece of crap the Chevrolet made the same year is if never having anything go wrong in and out of warranty means anything.

Nicer yet is looking for the SE version. It's lowered an inch, has quicker steering, firmer in corners, and premium tires. I forget how nice my wife's is until I drive it. It's very frugal with gasoline consumption for something with 292 HP and so much carry capacity. Associates have LE and XLE models. All are great but the SE is a different league in cross winds and cornering.
Old 04-20-2018, 02:42 PM

I don’t know how this got to sensible and frugal new Honda/Toyota talk, when PPG (theOP) is looking at an 11 year old 6.2 litre Chevy ?!
Old 04-20-2018, 03:03 PM

best place to read car reviews is on the toilet.
Taylor GS Mini-e Spruce/Rosewood
Waterloo WL-S
Wechter TO-8418

Cordoba 24T tenor ukulele
Kanile'a Islander MST-4 tenor ukulele
Kiwaya KTC-1 concert ukulele
Kolohe concert ukulele
Mainland Mahogany soprano ukulele
Ohana SK-28 soprano ukulele
Brüko No. 6 soprano ukulele
Old 04-21-2018, 07:30 AM

Check out "The Fast Lane Car" on the interwebs.

Based in Colorado, some great hands on reviews.
Old 04-21-2018, 03:19 PM

Default Best place to read car reviews?

For me, it's Forza magazine..................
Old 04-21-2018, 08:37 PM

Don't focus solely on the forum reviews. Forums have their place and can come in quite handy with repairs etc.

Do your own diligence, ask for vehicle maintenance records, take it to a mechanic for pre-purchase inspection if you are not all that familiar with DIY repairs.

Before you drive it check the engine compartment and following items: radiator, coolant overflow, engine oil - smell the dipstick for traces of coolant in oil, oil cap should be clean on the underside - notice anything else and investigate from there; how is the state of the hoses, electrical connectors, vacuum lines etc.; how do accessory belts look (might be a single one - serpentine belt); battery - any oxidation on the terminal posts.

From there look at tires, any uneven wear etc. Underneath the vehicle / suspension bits - rusty? any damage suggesting it was off road - like dented skid plates etc. ?

Let the engine warm up, stay outside and listen to anything out of place, turn the AC on make sure compressor cycles - is the air cold on the inside...

Go for the test drive, transmission shifts ok?, any other noises...

That should get you started. Pull up a free VIN check online...
Old 04-21-2018, 10:09 PM

If you have the time you may also want to search YouTube. I have spent many hours watching videos from mechanics and do it your self types that highlight problem areas for a vehicle, known or common issues with an engine, transmission, etc. Vehicle online forums are great sources of information. Also, do a Google search for the vehicle, engine, etc. You will be surprised by the amount of information available. It is the Internet, so do not believe everything you read. Good luck!

Larrivee, LV-03E Sitka/Peruvian Walnut
Bourgeois, Dreadnaught DB Signature, Italian Spruce/Madagascar Rosewood
Old 04-22-2018, 05:20 AM

WHEN I have trouble with my car, I want to be able to go into the local parts store in the middle of Michigan, Montana, Arkansas etc. and they have parts and support locally for my vehicle-----so I buy American (Even though it has a lot of parts made someplace else), at least I have a chance and the prices are reasonable!

This from a former Renault owner (WORST car I ever owned)

Fog
Old 04-22-2018, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swamp Yankee View Post
best place to read car reviews is on the toilet.
We have a winner !
Old 04-22-2018, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frazervalley View Post
If you have the time you may also want to search YouTube. I have spent many hours watching videos from mechanics and do it your self types that highlight problem areas for a vehicle, known or common issues with an engine, transmission, etc. Vehicle online forums are great sources of information. Also, do a Google search for the vehicle, engine, etc. You will be surprised by the amount of information available. It is the Internet, so do not believe everything you read. Good luck!
I agree with this. I was in the market last fall and I probably watched hundreds of YouTube Videos of different brands and year models of cars in the mid size sedan category I was looking for. Very informative as well as some of forums for specific makes.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic