The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 04-22-2013, 09:58 AM

I only wish people would spend more time sharing some tips and showing off their playing rather than having pedantic arguments about nothing.

Wrong!

Bad!

Buzz!

Fun times, huh?

I'm out of here...
Old 04-22-2013, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc1 View Post
lol. it's like the game show buzzer going off.

doesn't anybody here read tabs!?! - just kidding.

some tabs show rhythm, some show fretting hand fingerings, some show picking hand fingerings - but the majority i've seen don't.
i got it and Joe made it clear to me
Old 04-22-2013, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCharter View Post
I believe mc1 was talking about the limitations of commonly available tab. And he is correct.
that indeed is what i meant. i should have stayed on the sidelines, watching the action. when will i ever learn?

tab has some advantages and some disadvantages, notation has some advantages and some disadvantages. i think i best leave it at that.
Old 04-22-2013, 10:04 AM

my only argument was that classical trained people can play music...cya
Old 04-22-2013, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCharter View Post

I'm out of here...
hopefully we'll all get some fine parting gifts.

personally, i blame rich for trolling us really good. (j/k)
Old 04-22-2013, 10:48 AM
Guest 33123

Unfortunately I'm in the middle of the last song on a instructional DVD I purchased and for some reason the TAB and the "as written" version on the video are completely different in the section I'm learning! It's really weird because all of the songs so far on the four DVDs I have by this teacher have been spot on and this song was (mostly, just missing a few connecting notes here and there) fine until I hit this section. I guess things just go wrong sometimes. I'll just work it out on my own by watching the video. I should be able to do that by now (I hope!).

Last edited by Guest 33123; 04-22-2013 at 10:54 AM.
Old 04-22-2013, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Doug View Post
Unfortunately I'm in the middle of the last song on a instructional DVD I purchased and for some reason the TAB and the "as written" version on the video are completely different in the section I'm learning! It's really weird because all of the songs so far on the four DVDs I have by this teacher have been spot on and this song was (mostly, just missing a few connecting notes here and there) fine until I hit this section. I guess things just go wrong sometimes. I'll just work it out on my own by watching the video. I should be able to do that by now (I hope!).
i've noticed this a lot, and it happens with sheet music as well. often the tab/sheet music is a simplified or minimal version, and the recording is embellished or modified. and it's usually the embellishments or enhancements that are the interesting parts. i'm often rewriting someone's tab to include parts that i want to play.
Old 04-22-2013, 11:47 AM
Guest 33123

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc1 View Post
i've noticed this a lot, and it happens with sheet music as well. often the tab/sheet music is a simplified or minimal version, and the recording is embellished or modified. and it's usually the embellishments or enhancements that are the interesting parts. i'm often rewriting someone's tab to include parts that i want to play.
His DVDS have a totally embellished version to start with then an explanation then a slow version "as written". It's the "as written" section that was totally off. Oh well nobody's perfect, especially not me!
Old 04-22-2013, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Doug View Post
His DVDS have a totally embellished version to start with then an explanation then a slow version "as written". It's the "as written" section that was totally off. Oh well nobody's perfect, especially not me!
that's practically funny. maybe the website has a corrected version.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write