The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 04-16-2018, 10:27 AM

I've been checking out this amp in response to this thread - the battery amp i'm most familiar with is the roland ac33 which a friend has - would this be better - the funny thing is when I checked it out on thomann (I'm in Europe) yesterday it was something like €339 and now it's €399 - well, maybe not so funny! But there is a B-stock one for €311 - just wondering if I should jump on that? But it would need to be at least as lound as the ac33 to be worthwhile - I don't really need much effects other than reverb!
Also, all the youtube demos, except maybe one, are of solo guitar players, so, again compared to other similar amps, is it a good choice for a singer songwriter? Thanks!
Old 04-17-2018, 08:29 AM

I bought the b stock/refurb on ebay . The unit seems
fine so far. I used it at a singer/songwriter gig last
fridayIt sounded great. it's only 30 watts so i think
the room size will depend on when you use it.
Sound quality for guitar and vocal is excellent.
Your just limited in volume. I can't commen on the.
ac33 .. how many watts is it?
Old 04-17-2018, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by varmonter View Post
I bought the b stock/refurb on ebay . The unit seems
fine so far. I used it at a singer/songwriter gig last
fridayIt sounded great. it's only 30 watts so i think
the room size will depend on when you use it.
Sound quality for guitar and vocal is excellent.
Your just limited in volume. I can't commen on the.
ac33 .. how many watts is it?
The AC33 runs on 8-AA batteries. If you plan to run them out in three sets, they can deliver roughly 1 amp at roughly 12 volts, or 12 watts RMS (so less has to come out of the speakers, maybe 80% of that). Power ratings in this era of digital amplifiers (which might briefly put out an undistorted peak much higher than RMS, not generally true for analog amps) has lead to all sorts of specmanship. You've got to try these things, these days.

I found the AC33 to be not very loud. Certainly nowhere near as loud as 3db down from a Loudbox Mini (60 vs 30 watts).
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 04-17-2018, 09:27 AM

yes well the m6br8 is not as loud as my aer compact 60
but i've never used either to its full potential.
For guitar i think the aer sounds better.
for vocal the m6 is much better. Over all as a one stop
gigging machine i would give it to the m6 over
the aer. YMMV.
Old 04-17-2018, 10:14 AM

I have both the Elite Acoustics D6-8 and the Sunburst Gear M6BR8. The build and sound quality of both units is very close. The D6-8 has a full featured mixer and the M6BR8 is a simple volume mixer with just one master 3 band EQ. The fidelity of both units is spectacular. The M6BR8works wonderfully well with my Boss AD-10 and Shure SM87 mics. The AD-10 adds what’s missing to the guitar sound and the condenser mics sound great with no EQ. I have enough inputs for my duo. The battery life is about twice as long as the D6-8. This has become my favorite practice system. It was an absolute steal at the refurb price.

The mixer on the D6-8 is spectacular. The mixer goes so much further than one would expect. Sweepable mids on the EQs, high pass filters, notch filters, compressors, noise gates, three programmable DSPs...just wonderful! This system is designed to be enough by itself in a small room and feed a larger PA or set of powered speakers in a larger room. I did the firmware update it now has a separate EQ on the stereo outputs which is wonderful if you are using powered speakers instead of a house PA. No refurb deal though, and if you are using something like the AD-10, VE-8 or Play Acoustic, you already have all that sort of processing for your guitar.
Old 04-17-2018, 02:45 PM

Thanks for all the info - They sound like great amps - Thomann have put up the price of the B-stock one too - and it was really at the low price I was thinking of nabbing it - as I really need something with more volume as well - I'm thinking the maui 5 and a mixer - and maybe a second hand roland street for what little busking I may be inclined to do!
Old 04-18-2018, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkingston View Post
All the 1/4” input and output jacks are TRS balanced. I would try a balanced connection between the Sunburst Gear and Yorkville.
stopped by my LGS to return a monster cable
and picked up a trs to xlr male. It solved the issue.
thanks..
Old 04-18-2018, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by varmonter View Post
stopped by my LGS to return a monster cable

and picked up a trs to xlr male. It solved the issue.

thanks..

I went through the same thing.
Old 04-18-2018, 07:30 PM

Default EAE D6-8 VS Sunburst M6BR8

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkingston View Post
I have both the Elite Acoustics D6-8 and the Sunburst Gear M6BR8. The build and sound quality of both units is very close. The D6-8 has a full featured mixer and the M6BR8 is a simple volume mixer with just one master 3 band EQ. The fidelity of both units is spectacular. The M6BR8works wonderfully well with my Boss AD-10 and Shure SM87 mics. The AD-10 adds what’s missing to the guitar sound and the condenser mics sound great with no EQ. I have enough inputs for my duo. The battery life is about twice as long as the D6-8. This has become my favorite practice system. It was an absolute steal at the refurb price.

The mixer on the D6-8 is spectacular. The mixer goes so much further than one would expect. Sweepable mids on the EQs, high pass filters, notch filters, compressors, noise gates, three programmable DSPs...just wonderful! This system is designed to be enough by itself in a small room and feed a larger PA or set of powered speakers in a larger room. I did the firmware update it now has a separate EQ on the stereo outputs which is wonderful if you are using powered speakers instead of a house PA. No refurb deal though, and if you are using something like the AD-10, VE-8 or Play Acoustic, you already have all that sort of processing for your guitar.
I know the ouput power of Sunburst M6BR8 and EAE D6-8 are 30W & 40W respectively. But the price diff is more than double. I would like to ask whether it's worth the difference to get the EAE D6-8?

Grace Felix
L.R.Baggs Mixpro
Zoom A3

Trace Elliot TA40CR
Henriksen the Bud ten
Old 04-19-2018, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by douglasfan1 View Post
I know the ouput power of Sunburst M6BR8 and EAE D6-8 are 30W & 40W respectively. But the price diff is more than double. I would like to ask whether it's worth the difference to get the EAE D6-8?
The power differential is certainly not the point.
The digital interface in the d68 is what your
buying. the ability to add effects and eq to the
individual channels ( as you can imagine) is crucial.
This gives you the ability to use the d68 as a stand alone
pa system. The m6br8 lacks this individual channel eq.
so you really need outboard adjustment.
If you let's say a vocal mic and a guitar into
ch 1 and 2 of the m6 there is only a general mains eq .
so you have to find common ground . Compromising the
tone if both. d68 has an 8 in woofer m6 is 5.5.
Old 04-20-2018, 06:22 PM

That’s what I thought too.

Here’s the thing.

I kind of need the external processing for guitar that I get with my Boss AD-10 even though much of it is redundant with settings in the D6-8 mixer. When I’m using the AD-10, all I need is a volume control. That takes care of the guitar.

The other thing I need is vocals. What I find there is that my Shure Beta 87A microphones sound about perfect with no additional EQ. Certainly, if I was using mics that needed a little less bass or scooping of the mids, I would be stuck with no control, but with these mics it seems to work out.

What I find is that the above is true at low practice or coffee shop levels, but if you need to get a little louder or feed a PA, then the extra D6-8 speaker size, power and mixer control become more relevant.

Thus personally I am just using the Sunburst Gear amp for home, practice and small jam sessions. At the refurb price I can justify this.

Also, my wife does non-profit work and regularly wants me to provide audio for meetings, power point presentations and get together background music. Having the M6BR8 lets me do this without loaning out the much more confusing D6-8. For me, this alone makes having the extra amp worthwhile.
Old 04-20-2018, 07:59 PM

One more thing. Let’s be honest here. Anything from a Fishman Loudbox mini to a high end AER is going to sound pretty great on guitar. The big difference that I care about is how they sound on vocals. The D6-8 sounds really great on vocals with any decent microphone. The Sunburst Gear stuff sounds really great on a microphone that has an EQ curve that matches your voice without being EQed. Vocals is where the EAE/Sunburst gear pulls away from everything including the AER stuff (at least at lower volume levels). This is why I like their stuff so much.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification