The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 12-31-2018, 09:05 AM

I may be missing something, but that part of the side is glued to the neck block along it's entire width which will be exceptionally strong and most of that area will be routed out for the neck when fitted and what is not, will be covered by the heel which would be further stabilization of that area of the side. I can not foresee where that would make any difference at all? Am I missing something? To me it is kind of like leaving the top of the rosette unfinished where the fingerboard extension will lay, insignificant. ???
Old 12-31-2018, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
I may be missing something, but that part of the side is glued to the neck block along it's entire width which will be exceptionally strong and most of that area will be routed out for the neck when fitted and what is not, will be covered by the heel which would be further stabilization of that area of the side. I can not foresee where that would make any difference at all? Am I missing something? To me it is kind of like leaving the top of the rosette unfinished where the fingerboard extension will lay, insignificant. ???
The unfinished rosette under the tongue is a good comparison.

I suppose if you left the gap then the treble side of the heel could be putting more strain on the end grain of the actual side and with nothing to support it, it could compress or in a worst case scenario collapse under string tension over the years. At the very least this could throw your neck set out of whack. at any rate, the gap is filled and I'm told it is just as stable as it would be if the cocobolo stretched the whole distance!
Old 01-05-2019, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rreszka View Post
The unfinished rosette under the tongue is a good comparison.

I suppose if you left the gap then the treble side of the heel could be putting more strain on the end grain of the actual side and with nothing to support it, it could compress or in a worst case scenario collapse under string tension over the years. At the very least this could throw your neck set out of whack. at any rate, the gap is filled and I'm told it is just as stable as it would be if the cocobolo stretched the whole distance!
Don't give this even a moment of second thought.
For one thing, the axial strength (read: end grain) of the cocobolo laminated sides is extremely high - nothing to "compress" there on that treble side.

Furthermore, this whole area is glued to the neck block on all sides.
The gap could be twice as big and it would make no meaningful difference.

Tyler is probably working with material that is very close in size, and had to keep the tail ends to true centerline due to the end graft design. Sometimes we get what we get and have nothing more than that to work with.

Beautiful work.

Cheers!
Martin
Old 01-08-2019, 10:13 AM
AGF Sponsor

Truly beautiful work from Tyler! Thank you for sharing your R2.CA build with us!

Cheers

Alan
Old 01-29-2019, 09:48 PM

All fretted and almost ready for finish!

-Randy
Old 01-29-2019, 10:42 PM
Charter Member

Smile Late to another party...

Wow! What a LOOKER!!!

I LOVE BIG BEVELS AND I CAN NOT LIE... And such beautiful Coco it was brilliant to use it on the bevels, too!

Stunning. Congratulations and way to go!!!

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More
Old 01-30-2019, 07:43 PM

The cocobolo that the luthier selected to make the bevels had grain that was consistent with the direction of the grain in rhe back of the guitar. As a result the effect is that of a river of molten lava flowing across the back and into the bevels...excellent aesthetic look!
Old 01-30-2019, 08:14 PM

Wow that’s a stunner!
Old 02-02-2019, 07:08 AM

A true treasure, will be incredible once cleared and buffed
Old 02-02-2019, 08:04 AM

This guitar is ridiculously good looking.
Old 02-02-2019, 08:10 AM

Can I just say that is amazing and when you want to move it along someday, just shoot me a PM LOL!!!! The coco on coco is just mesmerizing.
Old 02-02-2019, 09:29 AM
Charter Member

That is a beautiful guitar. I played one of Tyler's guitars last year at the Pennsylvania show and it was my favorite. He was also a nice fellow to talk with.

I have another build in progress now so there is no room in the budget to purchase one from Tyler but I find myself mentally crunching numbers to see how it would work. Thanks for posting these pictures.
Old 02-03-2019, 10:37 AM

Default Cocobolo

The best looking guitar I have ever seen on here.
Epic!
Old 03-06-2019, 11:24 AM

Its been a little while. Things like finish sanding, grain filling, and final finish prep have been taking place. The bursting on the bevels along with the first coats of lacquer have been added!

-Randy
Old 03-12-2019, 10:50 PM
AGF Sponsor

WoW, the back really looks volcanic under that lighting~ Gotta love Tyler's Work!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop