The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN

Old 02-14-2019, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonics View Post
Every gig front row central for about 3 years. We sat next to some famous people...
When my wife worked for a label, they'd "paper the house" sometimes and it'd be like that. But it was usually for a second-tier act with a concert promoter who had booked them into too big a venue on a crummy night. They did this to create more of an impression of both ticket sales and enthusiasm down front so the reviewers would be kinder, which would translate to more ticket sales later on in the tour. Or at least that was the theory. So a Tuesday Wednesday Thursday might be, say, Toad the Wet Sprocket, Indigo Girls and Rodney Crowell. Mixed bag.

Couch Standards
Old 02-18-2019, 04:44 AM

My wife and I will travel to see our favorite, The Flaming Lips and I usually pull the VIP tickets so we can get to the front. Someone put this Yoshimi performance on youtube I'm the guy getting hugged by Wayne Coyne lol... happens about 32 seconds in.
https://youtu.be/9dqWrgLcJLM
Old 02-18-2019, 10:40 AM
Charter Member

Nice. I only saw The Flaming Lips once in 2004, but it was memorable b/c it was the debut of the giant bubble that Wayne Coyne used to perform in (and recently got married in).
Old 03-04-2019, 12:45 PM

Many times, more than I can remember. Mostly due to the fact that I much prefer standing room concerts over seated ones. In fact, I remember attending my first concert after moving to the US and being shocked at the venue being set up with chairs. Where I'm from (Germany), only classical concerts had chairs all the way up to the stage. The idea of seeing a rock 'n' roll show while being in a chair seemed extremely strange to me, and it still feels awkward, even though I've gotten more used to the idea after living here for 15 years.

Just last week, I was lucky enough to see renowned banjo player Noam Pikelny and fiddler Stuart Duncan perform together at the Musical Instrument Museum in Phoenix. I had bought my ticket early enough to score the seat in the center of the first row, so I was sitting five feet away from the performers. It was a very cool show.

Martin America 1
Martin 000-15sm
Recording King Dirty 30s RPS-9 TS
Taylor GS Mini
Baton Rouge 12-string guitar
Martin L1XR Little Martin
1933 Epiphone Olympic
1971 square neck Dobro
Old 03-04-2019, 06:13 PM

Does front dirt count? I had front dirt at a fundraiser for the Sloop Clearwater. We were about 5 feet from Pete Seeger and Harry Chapin. No stage or bands just Seeger and Chapin.
2018 Regal RD40MS
2019 Kentucky KM-606
2022 Huss & Dalton TD-R Custom

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN