The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-16-2015, 10:54 AM
Charter Member

I bought a John Mayer inCase gig bag that came with his Sig Strats for my PRS. Love it.
1989 PRS CE24
Nash T63 Tele
Nash T52 Tele
Nash JB63
1977 Musicman Stingray
Old 05-16-2015, 04:23 PM

I took a closer look at this one and didn't find detailed specs regarding the thickness of the padding on the sides, top and back or whether there are hard abs or similar panels like those found in my Mono M80. The ergonomics are very interesting to me and, if they work as advertised, could be important to me. But protection is the number one priority.

I did look at some of the lightweight hard cases and most are out of the range of what I'd be willing to spend. The fiberglass humicase looks like a piece if junk. Enough bad reviews and new ones with damage for sale make it pretty obvious that these are not durable as advertised.

I'll post the information I receive from Gruv gear.
Old 05-16-2015, 04:49 PM
Charter Member

Looking forward to it, David!
Old 05-16-2015, 06:58 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2y View Post
Gig bags aren't. Well made gig bags that make lugging gear easier would seem to be important to people who gig, right?
Absolutely.

I looked at the Gigblade and opted for the Mono Vertigo. I also own an M80 for acoustic

Reasons- Mono Vertigo looks to hold more in the main compartment. Mono advertises water resistance. The rubber trim a large base cap.

I like the Gigblade and if was a close second to the Vertigo for me. The concept is nice, but I was looking at capacity and fine details that Mono executed better.

Last edited by Turp; 05-16-2015 at 07:06 PM.
Old 05-16-2015, 07:32 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turp View Post
Absolutely.

I looked at the Gigblade and opted for the Mono Vertigo. I also own an M80 for acoustic

Reasons- Mono Vertigo looks to hold more in the main compartment. Mono advertises water resistance. The rubber trim a large base cap.

I like the Gigblade and if was a close second to the Vertigo for me. The concept is nice, but I was looking at capacity and fine details that Mono executed better.

Do they make a vertigo for acoustics? Or are you talking about one for your electric
Old 05-16-2015, 09:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmperorPo View Post
Do they make a vertigo for acoustics? Or are you talking about one for your electric
The Vertigo is for electrics. The M80 is for both. I need the "bulk" capacity of the main pocket to carry effects, pre-amps, or whatever. It appears the M80 and Vertigo allow more bulk storage.

The Access Stage 3 was also on my list, but for design and features, it is hard to beat a Mono. The extra cost of the bag pays for some nice details.

Last edited by Turp; 05-17-2015 at 06:47 AM.
Old 05-17-2015, 03:53 AM

Luv my Mono M80---totally worth it! But these Gigblades also look great. Looking forward to reading some of the upcoming reviews.
Buscarino Starlight nylon, Martin 000C-RGTE, Godin nylon duet ambiance, Breedlove Bossa Nova, cedar/EIR, Breedlove SC-20, cedar/walnut, Ovation Nylon LX1773, CA Cargo, CA GX, Larrivee 00-03, sitka/hog
Old 05-17-2015, 09:28 AM

That looks like a really great gig bag, clever design, appears to be solidly constructed... Gruv Gear looks like a good company... growing like Planet Waves was several years ago, another really good company.... thanks for the heads-up.

Now back living in Baja Sur where I started my carbon fiber journey... Bend OR was too cold!
Old 05-17-2015, 09:31 AM

I bought a PRS gigbag 8 years ago. It was $99 , is really well constructed, nearly indestructible.
Old 05-17-2015, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turp View Post
Absolutely.

Good points. The Gigblade looks like it might be easier to schlep, in theory. Not sure how it works in actual practice.

I once had a theory that double bass gig bag (as in 2 basses) would be convenient to allow me to keep hands free. I didn't count on having to duck through doorways. They typically weigh a little too sling on one shoulder and are a tad heavy to carry in hand when fully loaded. Solution: hope to get a nice fretted and fretless headless basses to fit in a guitar gig bag.
Old 05-17-2015, 11:31 AM

Information from Gruv Gear:

Thanks for reaching, glad to know you're considering our GigBlades!

The padding along the sides, front and back are 20mm, and the entire bag is a hybrid solution with layers of hard panels all around, including all sides. The Acoustic model fits dreadnoughts very nicely with room to spare on top, and you may also grab some optional foam bars to add even more internal protection along any part of the interior side walls. They attach by a hook-and-loop system and entire side wall material will accept the additional padding.

Here are more photos of the Acoustic GigBlade to check out:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B8...WFk&authuser=0

Hope that helps, let me know if you have other questions!

Jay
Old 05-17-2015, 12:34 PM

Good stuff.
Old 05-23-2015, 09:25 AM

20% off this weekend. $159 for he bag. Tempting.
Old 05-23-2015, 10:10 AM

Tempting. 123456
Old 05-23-2015, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drive-south View Post
I'd love one for a Strat since I drag mine to practice regularly. Those leather bags are sexy beasts.
Check out Glenn Cronkhite for a top quality leather bag, made in the US by a great company for a lot less money than that... plus it is custom made to fit your model guitar vs. some generic "electric guitar" size. The webite is poor so you have to drop him an email.

I'm a gig bag guy and all of my guitars live in gig bags. I've owned many different ones - Access level 1, Levys, TKL, Taylor hard bag, Body Glove Hybrid, Incase, Mono M80, Protec Contigo, Glenn Cronkhite. Currently my partscaster lives in an Incase, my main Lowden in a Cronkhite, #2 Lowden in a Mono M80, and my Bee Bass in a Protec Contigo.

As for the OP, I've never seen a gigblade up close and personal
that's me on guitar

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
case, gigbag, mono, monocase