The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Closed Thread

Old 05-17-2015, 07:53 AM

The fruit of Ryan's labor....nicely thinned and sanded sides devoid of their band saw lines....

Thanks for viewing...Tom
Old 05-17-2015, 10:25 AM
Music soothes the soul!

Really nice Tom. I'm sure you have something special planned with that heartwood around the endgraft.
Old 05-17-2015, 12:03 PM
AGF Sponsor

Yeah Tom, what ya got planned?

SK

Crafted in the Piney Woods
Old 05-17-2015, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kinnaird View Post
Yeah Tom, what ya got planned?

SK
Well, I have several plans actually....1) Use the lighter section of heartwood at the butt and 2) ask you to come up with a really unique, cool, one-of-a-kind end plate inlay with a super cool border...3) admire said inlay!!! 4)Finally, sit back and enjoy the fruits of my labor.

Last edited by TomB'sox; 05-17-2015 at 08:34 PM.
Old 05-19-2015, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cigarfan View Post
Really nice Tom. I'm sure you have something special planned with that heartwood around the endgraft.
Thanks Cigarfan,

My only plan was to ask Steve to make sure we used that section somewhere and he said it screamed butt at him...I did not think that sounded very nice of it, but hey, its going to be in the butt. I do think it leads to some really cool options there, I am just waiting to hear what those may be haha!!! I think everyone is sooo busy getting everything ready for Memphis that patience is going to be needed by me. I am fine with that, these builds are not cheap and I want everyone to take their time to come up with cool ideas in designs and woods so the guitar is everything I hope it will be.

Congrats by the way on your upcoming Hatcher build...his ability to choose beautiful wood seems unparalleled. I will be watching it closely.

Thanks, Tom
Old 05-21-2015, 04:31 AM
Music soothes the soul!

I actually think Steve is right, that heartwood will make for a really nice endgraft (butt) area. Steve will come up with something fantastic I'm sure.

I am excited about my start date approaching. Love to watch the magic unfold. As we are watching on yours right now!
Old 05-30-2015, 06:35 AM

Default Rosette

The two hardest parts of this build for me have been the rosette and the fretboard design....

One of those has now been decided thanks to Ryan and Steve's design work and the tossing of ideas back and forth between the boys and I. Ryan has drawn up a design and I love it. We have selected the materials and I think they are really going to pop. The main rosette is BRW with BWB borders around curly Koa and a paua center strip. It will be asymmetrical with the bottom width being a little wider than the top. The only thing left to design is the inlay at the bottom of the rosette. The bindings on the guitar will be koa fyi.

We are on hold now until after Memphis so Steve and Ryan can finish up their show guitars and get organized etc.

Thanks for looking.

Tom

Old 05-30-2015, 07:41 AM
Music soothes the soul!

Exquisite rosette. Classy!
Old 05-30-2015, 09:42 AM

Looking good, Tom.

All the inlays I've seen on Kinnaird guitars were tastefully done. I think you're in good hands.
Old 05-30-2015, 10:12 AM

Tom
Its exciting to watch this come together, I'm sure it will be an amazing guitar! I was lucky enough to spend a day with Steve and Ryan at the shop and it is a day I will never forget. They were doing some set up work on my OM. They are great guys and took time out of their busy day to make me feel at home. I would love to have stayed longer but time wouldn't allow. Anyone who is in the area I would encourage to stop by, awesome shop, superb wood collection and just downright good guys.
Martin J-41
Old 05-30-2015, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cigarfan View Post
Exquisite rosette. Classy!
Thanks, I am really happy with it, should look great especially with the koa bindings. I am thinking of working in some more paua around as well.
Old 05-30-2015, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCharter View Post
Looking good, Tom.

All the inlays I've seen on Kinnaird guitars were tastefully done. I think you're in good hands.
Thanks Mr. Joe Charter. I am in good hands...I think people may not realize what great sounding guitars come out of Nacogdoches....

Last edited by TomB'sox; 05-30-2015 at 01:23 PM.
Old 05-30-2015, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveac View Post
Tom
Its exciting to watch this come together, I'm sure it will be an amazing guitar! I was lucky enough to spend a day with Steve and Ryan at the shop and it is a day I will never forget. They were doing some set up work on my OM. They are great guys and took time out of their busy day to make me feel at home. I would love to have stayed longer but time wouldn't allow. Anyone who is in the area I would encourage to stop by, awesome shop, superb wood collection and just downright good guys.
Thanks for this post. I have not had the chance to meet Steve or Ryan personally. I hope to someday as I have plans to move to the great state of Texas asap!!!! It has been some phone calls with Steve and too many emails to report. Always received with grace and patience even when my ideas may have been only good ones to me!!!

I recently found some info online regarding a blind sound test at a convention and although too humble to self promote, I know the Kinnaird was in the top two or three along with some other very respected builders whom I shall not name, but you all know...while others may push that, Steve down plays it so although he may not be happy with me, I wanted to get it out there for those like me who may not have known.
Old 05-30-2015, 07:01 PM
AGF Sponsor

Well thanks all. Very kind of you. Dave, it was a fun afternoon, and we're pleased that Honduran OM found you.
So Tom, are we thinking now of some Paua around the top?
We'll have to discuss this offline, but it might clear a design hurdle for all of us.
I really do think the rosette is shaping up to be what will please you.
And if not, we'll send it to Mau!

Steve

Crafted in the Piney Woods
Old 05-31-2015, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kinnaird View Post
Well thanks all. Very kind of you. Dave, it was a fun afternoon, and we're pleased that Honduran OM found you.
So Tom, are we thinking now of some Paua around the top?
We'll have to discuss this offline, but it might clear a design hurdle for all of us
I really do think the rosette is shaping up to be what will please you.
And if not, we'll send it to Mau!

Steve
Woops, hmmm, I......, looks like I might be in some trouble...
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop