The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 02-15-2014, 02:39 PM

Default last thing on my mind ( tony rice) tabs???

Hey every body im new to the forums but been playin a few years,mostly bluegrass gospel and flatpickin,i wanna learn the song last thing on my mind,the tony rice version but cant find tabs for it anywhere...there is a video from homespun on youtube but im having a very hatd time figuring it out...i really wanna learn this song but my ear isny good enough yet to get it that way.does anyone where i can find the tabs online or is someone on here has alreafy tabed it out can u provide them? Thanx for any help guys i really wanna learn this.
Old 02-15-2014, 03:31 PM
Charter Member

If you order the Lesson

"Tony Rice - The Tony Rice Guitar Method - 2 DVD Set "

from Homespun you should get a booklet with the tabs....and several other songs to learn as well.

CK
Old 02-15-2014, 03:50 PM

Thanx for thw response man,thats kinda my dilemma im short on cash right now lol i figured i could find them somewhere on the web but the tabs are like finding waldo lol i know it would be alot of work for someone to tab them out for me,i was hesitant about asking that in my post lol but i do thank for the info ,hopfully i can get them eventually lol
Old 02-15-2014, 05:21 PM

Bump...dont mean to be bothersome guys this song just really sparks my interest
Old 02-15-2014, 05:44 PM

Have you seen this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eovsjywbe5o

By the way I found that by copying your thread title into a Google search box and it came up top of the list.
Old 02-15-2014, 08:19 PM

Yeah thats the video i was talkin bout lol idk what it is man i just cant get it from watching the video....maybe its the bits of cross picking but i just cant make put the notes in the prder they go in...i can hear the chord hes in thru the notes bit just cant make them out enough to put it together if that males any sense.
Old 02-15-2014, 11:17 PM
Charter Member

Hi Kp,

This is harsh, but it is the truth. The work has been done and it is for sale for at a market price.

You are asking somebody else to copy the work for you for free off the very same youtube video that you are watching.

If you do not want to pay Tony Rice for tabs he wrote to a song you really want to learn, if you do not want to pay Happy Traum for access to instructions to songs you really want to learn, and it is all there in written and video form for you to learn from, then I would hope that nobody else will do that work for free. Afterall, the only resource we have is the same one you linked to in the first place.

Regards,

CK
Old 02-16-2014, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypress Knee View Post
This is harsh, but it is the truth. The work has been done and it is for sale for at a market price.
I can only agree with the first three words.

There are lots of free instructional videos now on line and it's not out of order for someone to ask here if anyone knows of something in particular.

People of my age, mid to late 60s, grew up in a time with no internet, very few books and little or no money to buy them anyway. The only way we could learn was to copy stuff we heard. We developed our ears because we had to, and we did so right from the start. I'm not a flatpicker but I can see and hear enough to be able to copy some of what I see in the video. I'm a bit busy right now but later on I'll see if I can't tab out a few bars to get you started.
Old 02-16-2014, 09:27 AM

Hi Kparton. I've tabbed this out before. Send me your email and I'll send the tab.
Old 02-16-2014, 10:14 AM

I understand completely what your saying ck i know these guys worked hard on there music and thats how they make there living but at the same time ive been playing 2-3 years so im still very early in my learning,doing everything i can to develop my ears so i wont have to depend on reading tabs my whole life but when i get interested in a song and want to learn it the tabs help alot for me to understand the actual break down of the song and certin notes that i like so can see them,hear them,and remember where at in case i want to try to make something of my own with some of those notes,that os alot of my learning process...you were a beginner at one time and im sure you paid your dues to get where your at in your playing but im also pretty sure you may have had a little help along the way...and thank you everyone for all the help and offers to help with the tabs i really do appreciate it and the opinions of everyone,they will all help me along the way on my playing.and just wanna say i dont mean to sound rude or distasteful full in any of my replys or post so i hope noone took it that way..... btw nice site guys alot of helpful info and folks on here.
Old 02-16-2014, 01:21 PM

I agree, it's perfectly OK to use any and all sources you can find to help you learn.

At the same time (even when you can find good tab), the sooner you start trying to do it yourself, the better. I strongly recommend slowdown software: my favourite is Transcribe - http://www.seventhstring.com/ - which will work with video as well as audio, although youtubes need to be downloaded and converted with other (free) software.

Transcribe is free for the first month; it costs to register after that, but is well worth it IMO

If you really don't want to (or can't) pay, Audacity is a great free audio editing/recording program that will also slow down, although the interface is not dedicated to the task the way Transcribe's is.
http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write