The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 02-13-2014, 04:42 AM

Default Fingerstyle - right hand cramps

Please help me with some tips and hints. I'm mostly a strummer but I play a little fingerstyle too. I love playing Dylan's "Don't think twice", accompanied by a simplified Travis picking pattern, I couldn't play the original. I can play it fairly well, but after the 2-3rd verse me right hand just cramps and it's really hard to keep on the bar, and also to play the notes accurately.

It's not super fast, I mean I could play it 1.5 times faster too, it's the persistance of my right hand. How could I improve it? If I try to play lightly I miss notes, if I concentrate on the timing and giving it a solid beat, my hands get tired faster.

Thanks in advance!

http://facebook.com/greggalemusic
Old 02-13-2014, 05:03 AM

I would start with checking your posture/angle of wrists. If you're sitting in a bad position it can easily affect the angle of your wrists (of course they can be bad even if you're sitting in a good position). You should aim to have the wrists as straight as possible, perpendicular to the strings for the picking hand. A crooked wrist means your tendons aren't moving smoothly through the carpal tunnel which will tire your muscles much faster (not mention the possible RSI it can cause).

Also make sure that it isn't a medical condition causing this. If your hand is cramping it's usually not a good sign, that's a symptom of repetitive stress injury. Maybe take a week or two off the guitar completely and do some light exercises for your forearms. Aerobics is also very good as it increases the bloodflow.

My assorted assembly of aural "art"
Old 02-13-2014, 05:31 AM

Do you anchor your pinky on the face of the guitar? This caused tension in my right hand! Stopping this freed up my ring finger too!

Also check this link out - shows excellent hand position that has helped me greatly improve tone and accuracy as well as being vastly more comfortable!

http://www.david-qualey.de/Natural%20Guitar%20Method/
Old 02-13-2014, 06:01 AM

this could help
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldChZoSdvak
Old 02-13-2014, 06:23 AM

Thanks for the tips, I do anchor my pinky, I'll try not to do that. I play standing, and my wrist is quite bent, I will try to get it as straight as possible. Wy wrist doesn't hurt otherwise, I'm 29 so I really hope I don't have problems already

http://facebook.com/greggalemusic
Old 02-13-2014, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paikon View Post
This I cool but I play on a dreadnought rested on my right thigh so much of this is impractical for me, could help some though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by reflected View Post
Thanks for the tips, I do anchor my pinky, I'll try not to do that. I play standing, and my wrist is quite bent, I will try to get it as straight as possible. Wy wrist doesn't hurt otherwise, I'm 29 so I really hope I don't have problems already
Well I'm 24 and I've only just altered my technique I'm not having any problems just yet, I should think you'll be fine!

The David Qualey thing is good because he advocates listening to what your body is telling you, he just advises how to get a natural technique!
Old 02-13-2014, 06:48 AM

jthorpe@
Whatever thigh you play on the right hand technique should be the same.
Old 02-13-2014, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paikon View Post
jthorpe@
Whatever thigh you play on the right hand technique should be the same.
I did say 'much' of it... I was specifically talking about the footstool and guitar position I did post a link to classical guitar hand position great advice!
Old 02-13-2014, 09:37 AM

Yeah I try to keep my right hand straight with my forearm, at roughly a 45 degree angle to the strings. So when I pluck the string I sort of pull up and hit the string with the left side of my nails. This is how I learned classical and I think it produces a superior tone than plucking the strings with fingers perpendicular to strings. Lots of depth and warmth, but less attack.

Also, make sure you are using the muscles in your forearm and moving your fingers at the joint that meets the hand, not just bending at the 2nd and 3rd joints of your fingers.
Old 02-14-2014, 01:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reflected View Post
…I can play it fairly well, but after the 2-3rd verse me right hand just cramps and it's really hard to keep on the bar, and also to play the notes accurately.
Hi reflected...

I teach fingerstyle and it sounds as if you are forcing yourself, and the tempo, to go faster instead of relaxing as you play. Cramps happen because of over-working or stressing muscles. Controlling speed (in both fretting and plucking hands) works smoothest when you play relaxed.

Relaxation can cause loss of a bit of power from our playing at first, but that can be added back in with practice and time. This is because people when they first start working with the concept of 'relaxing' think the finger strokes should be shorter. It's ok since I'd rather have people play a bit softer/easier and play steady than to play hard and uneven (which often is the case).

Slowing the tempo down till you hit a solid relaxed playing point is crucial. Then gradually increasing it while remaining relaxed will get you there in better shape.

Unless you are leaning (actually putting hard pressure) on the pinky, it's not a detriment, but the bent wrist is a reaso for adjusting your techniques. Not only will it cause pain, in long term it can lead to actual physical issues.

Guitars can be positioned so the right and left arm/hand/wrist are ergonomically straight. It generally involves situating the headstock to at least chin level, and pivoting the guitar so the lower bout is just above waist level. This narrows the shoulder spacing, which lessens tension both picking and fretting.

Hope this helps...

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 02-14-2014, 10:12 PM

There should be no tension whatsoever in your right hand. If there is, slow down and take it easy, lest you risk overstraining it. As others have mentioned, check your right hand position. Also, do not anchor the pinky. Hope that helps!

Kenny Hill Estudio 650

https://soundcloud.com/viable-to-stray

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write