The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 02-14-2014, 11:32 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailpicker View Post
…One of my wise former guitar teachers said: Some people will always try to turn art into a science because they think it gives them more credibility; AND sometimes the answer to your musical question is simply "because centuries ago the monks who devised our western musical base arbitrarily decided to do it that way."
Hi Np...

While that is a cute saying, I think for some folks there is a different level of appreciation when they see mathematical correlation to other things (one of our 4 sons is wired this way).

As a player he's good, and as an organizer and bookkeeper, he's amazing. He's not looking for credibility. He just thinks that way all the time.

By the way - monks from centuries ago don't seem to have any ties to the music I'm playing these days.

Most of what they 'devised' called 3rds dissonant intervals, and perfect 4ths and 5ths the only consonant intervals...and harmony could only have 2 parts.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 02-14-2014, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi Np...

While that is a cute saying, I think for some folks there is a different level of appreciation when they see mathematical correlation to other things (one of our 4 sons is wired this way).

As a player he's good, and as an organizer and bookkeeper, he's amazing. He's not looking for credibility. He just thinks that way all the time.

By the way - monks from centuries ago don't seem to have any ties to the music I'm playing these days.

Most of what they 'devised' called 3rds dissonant intervals, and perfect 4ths and 5ths the only consonant intervals...and harmony could only have 2 parts.

Well, as ocmcook said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocmcook View Post
excuse me, i must be in the wrong forum.
While I can understand different levels of appreciation I suspect if your son started talking about guitars, maple vs redwood for example, on a math forum, there'd be at least some members who'd say WTF, regardless of whether or not he could tie some arcane math formula differentiating maple and redwood mass/stiffness/tonal properties?

BTW, what the monks laid down centuries ago does indeed have a relation to what you play these days even if you don't recognize it. It was in part the foundation of western music despite it's evolution over centuries.

BTW, there was nothing intended to be "cute" in what I said. I was relaying my personal views, some comments from a professional musician which in part coincide with some of my college level music courses.

So sorry, we'll have to agree that we disagree.

Last edited by Nailpicker; 02-14-2014 at 12:16 PM.
Old 02-14-2014, 12:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailpicker View Post
…we'll have to agree that we disagree.
Hi np...

I agree - we disagree.

It's a discussion forum, so as long as it's done in a polite fashion, and isn't political or religious in nature, it's welcomed here.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 02-18-2014, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawdustdave View Post
Interesting. In "well tempered" music the instrument can be "in tune" only in the key it's tuned in. So, in Bach's Well Tempered Clavier, in which his clavier (harpsichord, probably) was tuned in "C", each succeeding piece moved into more and more disconant keys. Having played these pieces on "equal tempered" modern pianos I would love to play them "well tempered". One of the affectations of earlier music was that certain keys emphasized certain feelings, for example, D was joyous. Today, we've lost that in that our music sounds pretty much the same regardless of the key we play in.
I believe some modern keyboards will allow you to do just this!
Old 02-18-2014, 05:34 AM

Default Great

Now I need an Excedrin , failed algebra , summer school , now this , just let me grab my Snark and Jam ... too deeeeep water for me to tread ...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write