The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 12-13-2018, 01:50 AM

For my eyes, the carbon fiber bridge is gorgeous! The first time I saw one I fell in love with it. It would be my preference even if I had to pay an upcharge. And I love the look combined with that lovely wood.

Again, I realize that this is entirely personal preference--but it makes a beautiful and interesting guitar even more so, IMO.

And I think it's only something Emerald can do (I believe) because their build process differs from other builders. I've never seen another builder attempt this. For me, it's very special.
Old 12-13-2018, 03:44 AM

Beautaciosness right there ..done really good
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 12-13-2018, 06:45 AM

The figuring in that top reminds me of the Sorcerer's Apprentice whipping up an ocean tempest in Disney's Fantasia.

Lot's of good name fodder in that visual. We should have a name contest till you find one that suits you.
Breedlove Blond Jumbo
Yamaha Silent Steel String
Old 12-13-2018, 07:35 AM
Charter Member

You can get an app for a decible meter - put that in front of each guitar at the same distance to put a number on it.

When my X10 came, I did a short sound test with each (X7, X10, and X20) and was surprised how similar each sounded recorded - the playing perspective seemed very different.
Old 12-13-2018, 07:57 AM

Scott, that looks even better than I imagined, and I knew it had to be special for you to do it.
I too say keep the bridge, but it is your guitar....
Glad to hear the wife thought you might find a spot to hang a 3rd guitar, no pressure that way.
I am glad to hear the X7 neck is not the same as the X20, I may have to consider if that would work for me some day.
Old 12-13-2018, 08:10 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
You can get an app for a decible meter - put that in front of each guitar at the same distance to put a number on it.

When my X10 came, I did a short sound test with each (X7, X10, and X20) and was surprised how similar each sounded recorded - the playing perspective seemed very different.
Great idea on the app. I already have one on my phone. I'll give it a try to see if there is enough of a difference between the two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frettingflyer View Post
Scott, that looks even better than I imagined, and I knew it had to be special for you to do it.
I too say keep the bridge, but it is your guitar....
Glad to hear the wife thought you might find a spot to hang a 3rd guitar, no pressure that way.
I am glad to hear the X7 neck is not the same as the X20, I may have to consider if that would work for me some day.
Thanks. It's already grown on me to the point where I'll almost certainly not send it back. As for keeping all three, that is still unlikely. I think I'm going to throw the Martin in its case with some humidification items and put it into storage for the winter months and see how much I miss it. Once the warm weather hits in the spring I'll pull it out and make a final call then. Once we're through the holidays and you've got some time give me a shout and come over with your X20 so we can play Emerald round-robin again!
Old 12-13-2018, 08:12 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post
I'm not sure why but it definitely is. I'm a fingerstyle player with no nails so my playing is generally muted anyway. I don't know if it's the lighter body making it more resonant or the slightly different body cavity design or even the hole location or positioning but it definitely seems louder. Note that in both cases I was wearing the guitar strapped to my body standing and not sitting down. At some point I'll likely do a video review so I'll see if I can replicate it on that but the difference is certainly not huge.
I guess when I really notice the volume of the X20 is strumming and singing. I rarely use the X20 for finger style - I'm not sure why but the size, scale, and sound of the X7 all seem more suited to finger-picking than the X20. The X20 really excels (to me) for strumming and flat picking. Which is not to say the X7 isn't also great for those uses - I could easily get by with this new X7 as an only acoustic guitar if I needed to. But that's where the X20 rings out differently and seems considerably louder to my ear. And when I do my feeble version of finger-picking, I almost always use a thumb pick and finger picks so either guitar is gonna sound different than using bare fingers.

In any case, it doesn't matter - I was just curious about your observation because it was so different from mine for similar guitars. Although I have two very different scale lengths on mine too, while yours are both 24.6", no? So maybe the scale has something to do with the volume?

-Ray
Old 12-13-2018, 08:17 AM
Charter Member

A few more photos from home.

Old 12-13-2018, 08:23 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raysachs View Post
I guess when I really notice the volume of the X20 is strumming and singing. I rarely use the X20 for finger style - I'm not sure why but the size, scale, and sound of the X7 all seem more suited to finger-picking than the X20. The X20 really excels (to me) for strumming and flat picking. Which is not to say the X7 isn't also great for those uses - I could easily get by with this new X7 as an only acoustic guitar if I needed to. But that's where the X20 rings out differently and seems considerably louder to my ear. And when I do my feeble version of finger-picking, I almost always use a thumb pick and finger picks so either guitar is gonna sound different than using bare fingers.

In any case, it doesn't matter - I was just curious about your observation because it was so different from mine for similar guitars. Although I have two very different scale lengths on mine too, while yours are both 24.6", no? So maybe the scale has something to do with the volume?

-Ray
Yes, both of mine are 24.6", so possibly a little more volume from that. Also agree on your analogy above. The X20 is the OM of the Emerald line in that it is an all-around guitar suited to doing everything equally well. The X7, though conceived as a travel guitar, with this new design and the longer custom scale puts in firmly into more of the 00 12-fret area for me. Perfect for intimate fingerstyle playing late at night next to the fire sipping some spice rum while being equally and fully ready to use as a full-time gigging axe.
Old 12-13-2018, 09:12 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
Installed a sound (decibel) meter app and did a three-way test between the three and sure as heck the X7 is louder than the X20! The X20 strummed lightly came in around 60 dB while the X7 and Martin were both around 65 dB! I've always known the Martin was louder than the X20 due surely to it's lighter weight and (assumed) more resonance. The X7 is on par with the Martin in light weight and so maybe therefore not surprising that it's also on par in sound level as well.
Old 12-13-2018, 09:55 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post
Installed a sound (decibel) meter app and did a three-way test between the three and sure as heck the X7 is louder than the X20! The X20 strummed lightly came in around 60 dB while the X7 and Martin were both around 65 dB! I've always known the Martin was louder than the X20 due surely to it's lighter weight and (assumed) more resonance. The X7 is on par with the Martin in light weight and so maybe therefore not surprising that it's also on par in sound level as well.
You inspired me to do the same thing. And my X20 comes out about 2-3 db higher under pretty much any sort of strumming than the X7. I didn't trust myself to not unconsciously cheat under light strumming so I also got about as aggressive as I ever would on both and the difference was about the same, but the X20 was up around 86 then. Phone was only a foot or foot and a half from the guitar though...

Still, kind of interesting. I wonder if it's largely the scale length?

-Ray
Old 12-13-2018, 10:02 AM

That it one stunning guitar - well done! Personally I prefer the raw carbon bridge over a tinted one. It just looks like the metallic hand guard of a sword or dagger to me, and seems to fit visually.

The latest (and only) USPS update shows my X30 "released to Customs" at the ISC in San Francisco as of this morning. Funny - all the previous Emeralds went through New York. Maybe by Saturday......
Old 12-13-2018, 10:05 AM

That is beautiful! I am so jealous of all these new Emeralds! I have one of the old (i.e. round center-hole) X7 woodies, and am seriously thinking about selling it, and an '07 Martin custom 000-15 to finance a new Emerald.
Old 12-13-2018, 10:07 AM

Wow that came out fantastic! Great choice on the veneer. I don’t think I’d send it back to respray the bridge, it looks awesome the way it is!
Old 12-13-2018, 10:16 AM
Charter Member

Let the modifications begin! As usual I replaced the stock Emerald strap button with my much preferred Planet Waves one and also to a page from someone here about installing the little D'Addario tuner in the soundhole and looks and works GREAT!

Just played for an hour and continue to love it. Tomorrow will play for several hours plugged in and assuming that goes well it will definitely get tapped for Sunday's Christmas Brunch gig! So totally stoked.

Oh, and btw, no longer even considering send it back to Emerald. Between those photos and all your opinions, it has grown on me as it stands right now!

One last note, the Martin just got put up for the winter. Into its hard case with humidification and just in time as I noticed the humidity has now dropped to 32%! Now I don't have to run a humidifier all winter!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber