The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 02-09-2013, 03:52 PM

Location: I live in Winter Garden, FL use to live Washington DC area.

Frequently, playing a song as off the record doesn't reflect you own abilities and at times changing the song reflects creativity and the ability to move off the page to own the moment musically. I think that Hogan gets you close enough with a little work you can notice the differences and adjust accordingly. I think its a very good site, not the only good site. I would say one of the other top sites, justinguitar.com is a great site that works on the honor system and lots to learn there too. Also mention Truefire Lessons is very good too. We are lucky so much is within a mouse click away!

doc
Old 02-23-2014, 05:13 AM

Anyone else having problems accessing totallyguitars? Is the site down?
I have not been able to access via my login for two days.
Would appreciate a reply, thanks
Gibson J-45 JT project "1942 Banner" (Adi/Mahogany)
Eastman E20P (Adi/Rosewood)
Sigma-SDR-28MLE (Adi/Madagascan Rosewood)
Sigma SDR-45 (Sitka/Rosewood)
Sigma SDM-18 (European/Flamed Mahogany)
Freshman FA400D (Engelmann/Rosewood)
Freshman FA300 (Cedar/Hog)
Voyage Air VAD-06
Old 02-23-2014, 06:53 AM
Charter Member

A few years ago, I had a subscription to Totally Guitars and let it lapse. What I was hoping for was in depth study of Neil Hogan's fingerstyle arranging. Back in the 90s, I bought a book of Beatles arrangements from him that covers everything on his Beatles CD. He has such a relaxed playing style that makes for really nice listening. His teacher had been Bill Munday, who wrote the book "Chord Solo Guitar", which got me into playing solo fingerstyle guitar in the first place long before encountering Neil Hogan. So I was hoping Neil would pick up where Bill Munday left off.

At the time that I was involved with Totally Guitars, he seemed to be more into getting down the original way of playing tunes to accompany singing, rather than solo fingerstyle. I was disappointed that he didn't cover what I specifically wanted to learn, but I thought that what he did cover was quite good for those who want to play and sing. As far as Neil himself, you couldn't meet a nicer, more relaxed guy. He would be a great teacher and for those who want to learn what he is teaching, I don't think you can go wrong.

He did a short series more recently on solo fingerstyle guitar and I did purchase those specific lessons. Unfortunately, I am well past the point of that subject matter. It is possible that he might some day expand on that and if he does, I would certainly take another look. He is a fine player who could teach us a lot about that genre if he so choose to do so. I am just not interested in singing Neil Young, Beatles, etc. I am interested in new and effective ways of arranging these for solo fingerstyle, which I can do already, but am always willing to explore different approaches to that art form.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write