The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 02-18-2014, 03:36 PM

Default New video lesson: "Hallelujah" by Jeff Buckley - Feedback greatly appreciated

A couple weeks ago I posted my first video song lesson on AGF, and got tons of great feedback. Here's my second effort, inspired by suggestions from many of you: A beginner strumming and singing lesson for "Hallelujah," written by Leonard Cohen and inspired by the Jeff Buckley cover.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xh-GxjIKV3g

The big difference is that the instruction portion video is 7 minutes shorter. I spent less time on repetitive exercises the viewer can play along with me--"If people want to repeat, they can rewind" as someone put it. There's also an index in the description for easy navigating.

Would love to hear any additional thoughts on what can be improved. Thanks!
Strumming Patterns
Old 02-19-2014, 09:10 AM

Awesome job and thanks for taking the time to put this together! Great vocals and playing as well.

2014 Pono OP-10DC
2013 Martin 0015M
60's Harmony Stella
Old 02-19-2014, 09:29 AM

I should preface this with saying this is a minor gripe and should really be ignored

I'm not sure about having Jeff Buckley in the title, it's a long time since I listened to Cohen's version but from what I can remember the changes are the same so really this is just it in a different key. I can understand why you've put it in but to me it isn't the Jeff Buckley version unless it is his finger-picked version.

Otherwise I really enjoyed it
Old 02-19-2014, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shepard man View Post
Awesome job and thanks for taking the time to put this together! Great vocals and playing as well.
Well, complements on my vocals isn't something I hear very often. Many thanks.
Strumming Patterns
Old 02-19-2014, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clydeslide View Post
I should preface this with saying this is a minor gripe and should really be ignored

I'm not sure about having Jeff Buckley in the title, it's a long time since I listened to Cohen's version but from what I can remember the changes are the same so really this is just it in a different key. I can understand why you've put it in but to me it isn't the Jeff Buckley version unless it is his finger-picked version.

Otherwise I really enjoyed it
Yeah, I mulled this over for a while. On the one hand, I definitely believe in giving songwriters credit. On the other hand, I think more people are familiar with the Buckley version, and also, the Leonard Cohen original studio recording does use some different verses (I've heard he composed about 80 (!) and then pared it down). Finally, the guitar chords, capo, and key are inspired by the Buckley version, my vocal delivery, while admittedly nowhere near as beautiful as Buckley's, is closer to his style than Cohen's more dry, spoken-word style.

Maybe it would be best if I include both artists' names in the title? That's actually what I did for the YouTube video.
Strumming Patterns
Old 02-19-2014, 04:35 PM

Well done, nice job.

I liked the part about the singing instruction. It's great information for non-musical non-singing types such as myself who are considering starting...
Gibson J-30
Walden CO500 (camper)
Fender FSR BSB Telecaster

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write