The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 01-19-2011, 10:30 PM
Charter Member

Default Goodall Crossover review

I purchased the Goodall Crossover that was listed at Guitar Gallery. It is a 2004 model and was made for the NAMM show. It has a Port Orford cedar top and East Indian back and sides. It is a quality build.
Since I don’t play classical guitar but love the sound of nylon strings, this is exactly what I was looking for. The neck is slightly larger than I am used to with a 1 7/8” nut width but the playability and action is excellent. The tone is what stands out the most for me. It has a beautifully rounded bass with smooth and clear mids and highs. I would describe it as warm and crisp with just the right amount of sustain. I’m using Thomastik-Infeld S series Classic strings (rope core). It had an active Baggs iBeam installed which I replaced with the active Baggs Element for Classical guitars. I’m really pleased with the amplified sound which is as close as can be to the acoustic sound. It fingerpicks and strums with equal volume and tone.
I have owned a couple of nice Takamine nylon string guitars and I got to play a Lowden at Guitar Gallery that also had a 1 7/8” nut width. The difference for me is that the Goodall has a more non-classical feel. I would guess that is due to the neck radius and 14 frets to the body. The Goodall also seems to have a quicker response and doesn’t feel a bit floppy even when strumming agressively with my fingers.
It’s hard to describe sound and feel but I guess I would add that I wasn’t looking for a classical guitar with a smaller nut width than standard. I wanted a true “crossover” and this fit the bill for me. It is a very easy transition from my steel string and offers a whole new world of sound and inspiration.

Old 01-20-2011, 06:34 AM

Very nice review! I played a Goodall quite a while ago, and he does a fine job with this crossover. Unfortunately, pricey for most, but it is a great guitar.

Phoenix Guitar Co. Custom Classical Guitar
Rainsong Shorty FLE
Pre Peavey Cargo
Old 01-20-2011, 01:40 PM

Aah the long awaited Goodall Crossover review. Very well done in a guitar choice as well as a review. Im so glad everything worked out for you with this guitar. The appointments and from what I saw / heard on the guitargal video, the tone is very inspiring. Enjoy!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical