The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 01-23-2011, 03:35 AM

Default Wider Neck

I would like some recommendations for a nylon strung guitar with a wider neck. I'm looking at the lower end of the price market, and I'm not bothered about whether its solid wood or laminate, acoustic or electric-acoustic, 3/4 size or full size. I play ukulele (mainly DGBE tuned baritone) and having tried a narrower necked steel strung guitar for several weeks, realized that my fingers/brain is too used to the wider string spacing of the bari-uke. I really prefer nylon strung instruments, but I definitely want something with a wider string space, so that going back and forth between bari-uke and guitar will be more comfortable.
Old 01-23-2011, 03:42 AM
Musical minimalist

wider than "standard" 52mm?

Old 01-23-2011, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitness1 View Post
wider than "standard" 52mm?
That's what I don't know?. As I'm likely to have to buy online (not really any places near me doing classical guitars), what distance would the strings be from each other at that width (52mm)?? Thats still sounds 'narrow'. Would that make the strings about 8.6mm apart? Can you get wider necks, say 60cm?

On my Baritone Ukulele, each of the strings are separated by 1cm (the neck is 40mm wide). The steel strung guitar I have been playing, they are around 7mm apart, with the neck being 42mm wide.
Old 01-23-2011, 08:02 AM
Musical minimalist

just measured my Cordoba.....at the nut, the string spacing is 43mm E to E on center (there is room to widen if you were to have a new nut cut) But, at 43mm the spacing between strings is just about exactly the same as your 8.6.

Remember, you would divide the 43 by 5, not 6......

Old 01-23-2011, 10:34 AM

As a baritone uke player myself, I understand the spacing issue you are having. I have it too. The nut on my Martin crossover is 1 7/8ths and the spacing kinda throws me for a few bars.
A true classical guitar with a 2" nut should be close enough to jump from one to the other without much notice. I think the uke spacing is just a little more.
My Pono has the same size neck as yours.
With a lot of playing, you will jump from one to the other without any difficulty.
I put high tension nylon strings on a Blueridge tenor guitar and like it...a little volume loss but still good

Last edited by john bange; 01-23-2011 at 10:39 AM. Reason: addition
Old 01-23-2011, 10:38 AM

Thanks for that, I'm guessing then that the 8.6mm is pretty much standard. Its going to be more comfortable for me than the steel strung guitars, so I'll have to ring up a few guitar stores to get an idea of what's available. I just don't want to end up paying for something that I have difficulty adjusting to..... it seems my fingers just don't want to unlearn the positions they normally form, and the narrow neck (to me anyway) of the guitar (a Crafter bowlback) I have been playing has not felt at all comfortable.

Who makes 'wide neck' classicals (wider than the standard) ?
Old 01-23-2011, 12:32 PM
Musical minimalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie23 View Post

Who makes 'wide neck' classicals (wider than the standard) ?
Can't remember seeing anything wider than 53mm. Remember too, the neck profile will have a lot to do with the way the classical will play, and I'm guessing the profile will be a lot fuller on the guitar than the uke.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical