The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

View Poll Results: A Carbon Guitar For You In 2010? In 2010:
I will buy ANOTHER carbon guitar. 45 24.19%
I will buy my FIRST carbon guitar. 25 13.44%
I intend to get more information on and try to audition my first carbon guitar. 45 24.19%
I have NO interest in carbon guitars because guitars should be made of wood only! 71 38.17%
Voters: 186. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-20-2010, 06:36 AM

I actually love the idea of a carbon fiber guitar, and I think I really want to purchase one. I live in FL, so humidity and heat are a huge problem. Having a guitar that is immune to those would be amazing. However, I am only interested in nylon string guitars, and as far as I know, only Blackbird has a nylon model still in production. And unfortunately, that guitar is out of my price range AND I've never had a chance to play it, so I don't even know if I'd buy it if it were in my price range.
Old 01-24-2010, 04:42 PM
Charter Member

Got to play an OX (raw) and a GX (black tribal) the other day. I was really pretty impressed with both of em'. I liked the OX a little better, but I thought the GX won in the looks dept. hands down - very cool guitar.

I'm so stoked about getting a Tobacco Burst OX AGF Special I can taste it! It'll be my first composite - gonna be very awesome to have it out on the stand all day and not worry about flippin' RH%.

'05 Santa Cruz OM/PW
'08 CA GXi (Tobacco Burst)
'90 Gibson ES335 (Alpine White)
'07 Taylor T5 Standard

Last edited by TedShred; 01-24-2010 at 04:52 PM.
Old 01-25-2010, 09:48 PM

I am blessed with several fine acoustic guitars (Brazilian Froggy dread, McPherson maple/bearclaw, for ex.), and I must say that I think my CA COT Legacy Artist Series sounds incredible! She sounds better than many wooden acoustics I have heard and played (though not the two mentioned above).

I have a Blackbird Rider on order, so I'll have to let you know how she sounds. Played one at NAMM, but it was so noisy there that it was tough to critically assess the sound.

Peace.
Old 01-25-2010, 10:29 PM

There's no option for "I've found the guitar for me after more than a year of playing everything under $3000, and it's a carbon fiber CA GXi."

Dreads and jumbos (made of anything) are uncomfortable for me, but I love their big sound. So when I heard the GXi, and felt its sculpted body, I fell in love.

I lead songs in a nice building with a PA, and for forty people gathered around a campfire on drizzly cold mornings. It sounds great for either and I simply don't worry about it.

Were I recording a single guitar and maybe a singer, perhaps I'd be more concerned about how pure the sound is compared to the overtone/attack structure of a wooden guitar. But for what I do, cf is the wave of the future.
Old 01-25-2010, 11:52 PM

I own a carbon fiber topped guitar made by the inventor of the carbon fiber guitar - Adamas. Mine is a 2080, their latest incarnation. Lyracord (ok, plastic) back with a wood neck and carbon fiber top. Sounds superb.

I'll be buying another Adamas this year, for my daughter who graduates high school this spring.

Maybe the Adamas doesn't fit the poll since it isn't 100% carbon fiber, but I voted that I'll be buying another this year.
Old 01-26-2010, 05:12 PM

Up until a couple of weeks ago I hadn't even heard of them - but I was in a guitar shop and saw a Rainsong 12 string and had a go. I couldn't get over how playable it was - it was as easy to play as a good 6 string and it sounded pretty ****ed good too. I live in Brisbane (hot, humid) and the non-warpability is a major plus, too. Still not 100% convinced of the sound (although it was still heaps better than alot I've played). I'd get one for sure if I had the money.

Although I'm still playing my 20 year-old, warped, high-actioned washburn as I doubt I'll ever be able to afford a decent guitar....
Old 01-26-2010, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystic View Post
I wonder what a carbon fiber bridge plate would sound like, or carbon fiber braces?
Give me a few more weeks and I will tell you.
Old 01-27-2010, 10:39 AM
Charter Member

Default on the way

I had a Ca guitar a few years back. One of the first ones. I let it go and missed it right away. I actually "need" one now because I go back and forth betwenn home and Nashville. Looking forward to getting it!!...
Old 02-01-2010, 01:52 AM

I have 7 carbon graphite gtrs already. I find them all to be reliable and professional instruments. As a professional musician all my life, I am so tired of babying the instrument and having to be conscious of constantly tuning it. I've played outside in the 118*F heat (in the shade) at a Palm Springs resort in the summertime when I couldn't touch the bridge of the my electric gtr cause it was so hot. I've played in the 40*F chill of Carson City, NV, on the sidewalk for a special car race passing thru town when my fingers felt numb from the cold. I've played at poolsides on cruise ships in all kinds of weather (rain squalls, drizzles, chilling cold of Mar in Italy, salt spray, hot summer mid-Pacific sun, etc.). These carbon graphite gtrs are the answer to all of these situations where other gtrs suffer from the extreme conditions that musicians are put in. They are immune to the humidity and heat of outside in the summer in Hawai`i, and can stand the winters in the aridity of Santa Fe, NM.

I have a Blackbird Rider, CA X Performer, CA X Raw, CA Cargo, Martin Graphite II, Rainsong OM1000, & Fender Acoustasonic Strat. I would like to get a carbon graphite baritone or even an acoustic bass. I know that the CA Baritone is being produced already. In time, an acoustic bass will be produced too.
Old 02-01-2010, 02:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlySig View Post
I own a carbon fiber topped guitar made by the inventor of the carbon fiber guitar - Adamas. Mine is a 2080, their latest incarnation. Lyracord (ok, plastic) back with a wood neck and carbon fiber top. Sounds superb.

I'll be buying another Adamas this year, for my daughter who graduates high school this spring.

Maybe the Adamas doesn't fit the poll since it isn't 100% carbon fiber, but I voted that I'll be buying another this year.
Carbon graphite has been used for a long time. The Adamas guitar came out in 1976. Yep, these Adamas gtrs are very loud and play very well. Yes, it is the first innovator of the use of carbon graphite for sound boards. I have 5 Ovations, but not an Adamas.

I forgot to mention in my previous posting. That I have several gtrs that also use carbon graphite to strengthen them. I have a custom-made baritone ukulele-sized koa gtr that has graphite laminated in the neck to strengthen it. I also have a Steinberger TranScale gtr w/ uses a graphite U-channel piece in the neck to strengthen it.
Old 02-02-2010, 06:52 AM

Default Slide and carbon

Hey has anyone tried playing slide on these? Any thoughts?
Old 02-02-2010, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdq View Post
Hey has anyone tried playing slide on these? Any thoughts?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yd6TttacAZ0

JackL
Old 02-02-2010, 09:58 PM

Hmmm...well I did ask.

Thanks for the response.
Old 02-03-2010, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitnoob View Post
When/where did this happen? I've carried my Cargo on several flights.
Flying out of the UK and once from mainland Europe (can't remember where exactly). Once in Ireland, the guitars were sent into the hold but there was a set of strings in hand luggage.

Apparently guitar strings would be highly effective if you felt the need to garrote someone.

Wiki says piano strings are also suitable. Pack your baby grand at your peril

Emerald Fusion x10
Stella the 1960's Harmony (Fender Headstock)
Tanya the Tanglewood
Juanita the Strat
Gabriela the Flamenco style Gerry O'Gorman Concert (Classical)
Anon the Spanish Classical gifted by my Dad many years ago
Brian the Bodhran
A crazy cajon!
...and a drum kit. Chicken soup for the soul
Old 02-03-2010, 07:43 PM

Yup...just got one from Buffalo Creek Guitar Company based in Farmville, VA. Got a GREAT DEAL!!! I got a GX HG (either black or carbon burst). I'll be posting pics soon!

---------------------------------

'09 Martin D35
'08 Taylor 816ce
'73 Yamaha FG700
'09 Chuck Gilbert Dread C/M

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber