The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 12-03-2018, 08:19 PM

Default Looks like the Chimaera might actually happen...

It appears that I sold two wooden guitars...

I know, shocking isn't it. Apparently people still buy those.

Shipped on Friday, so they still have to get there intact.

For those of you who have ordered from Emerald in the past, did you basically set up everything via e-mail, or try a phone call with an 8 hr time difference.

Oh, and Amber won the poll.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 12-03-2018, 08:24 PM

All of my prior transactions and communications with Emerald have been via email. I've never tried calling, but that would be a treat, assuming I could understand an Irish accent. I have chatted on line with Kevin briefly once or twice.

Congrats on the sale, and enjoy the Chimaera! They are extremely cool instruments - nothing else like them. Amber would be nice. I cannot help but notice that there are X30's in stock in amber, red, green, and black right now. Correction: plus a lauro preto woody.
Old 12-03-2018, 08:28 PM
Anticipation Junkie

I believe they will communicate in any form you prefer. In addition to email, I’ve Skyped with Alistair at his home before, and spoken with him on the phone. Given how busy they are these days, they may not be as accessible, but they are very customer oriented and will likely accommodate you. Good luck with the Chimaera process and enjoy the thrill of the wait until it’s in your hands.
Old 12-03-2018, 10:09 PM
Charter Member

I have chatted with them online via their website and exchanged e-mails with Sean (when he was there), Alistair, and Kevin. I had a specific edge shading I wanted on this latest X10 and sent photos... then, let them do their thing. It is perfect. The first two were "in stock" so there wasn't much discussion. On the X10, I wanted a shorter scale, Crystal Ice back and sides, and that bit of black edge shading on the red; I didn't feel it was anything complicated and the communication via on-line chat and e-mail covered any questions and all in writing. Easy.

Good luck with the process and the decisions. That Chimaera is one cool looking instrument!
Old 12-04-2018, 01:10 AM

I’ve emailed and chatted, but it was great to speak to Kevin (good player in his own right) and the master even had time to take a call. Cool accents.
Old 12-04-2018, 06:42 AM

I do email and the chat thing on ther site.... also Alastair has called me a few times... When I was with Alistair at NAMM a couple years ago I was using an Irish accent once and he said his was not that strong... but when another Irish lad he knew statrted talking with him... his accent was way more prominent ..
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 12-04-2018, 09:54 AM
Guest 928

Nephew K is being a bit modest. He has also had Alistair to his house--they are sort of like friends as well as business partners.
Old 12-04-2018, 09:59 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramster View Post
I do email and the chat thing on ther site.... also Alastair has called me a few times... When I was with Alistair at NAMM a couple years ago I was using an Irish accent once and he said his was not that strong... but when another Irish lad he knew statrted talking with him... his accent was way more prominent ..
It's true, Alistair's is very mild compared to some of the other guys on staff at Emerald. I was doing a series of video chat interviews with the different employees and some (like Alistair, Kevin, Franck and Alan) were pretty easy to understand, but a few of the other fellows were a lot tougher for my American ears to pick up. I'm transcribing them now and you can really tell a difference. Lucky for me, Alistair is one of the easy ones since I've spent much more time talking to him.
Taylor Custom Grand Concert Master Grade koa, Taylor K22ce 12-fret AA koa, Emerald X7 "Kauai" (custom painted artwork), Grimes Hapa nylon, Benedetto Andy, Kanile'a GL6 Guitalele, Moore Bettah and KoAloha custom ukuleles, Rob Allen Mouse koa bass
Old 12-04-2018, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedwahine View Post
It's true, Alistair's is very mild compared to some of the other guys on staff at Emerald. Lucky for me, Alistair is one of the easy ones since I've spent much more time talking to him.
He lived in the states awhile building CF boats which might help and ... yes we were roomies a couple times at NAMM and I taught him some English (not the Queen's English as you can imagine)...he was the first one to get me in there to NAMM and did stay at my place a few days, back a few years ago, when we were just kids.
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 12-05-2018, 09:18 PM

Thanks guys. Sent them an e-mail. Also asked about the upcharge (if any) for swapping the G-course like on Earl's X20-12.

The two Larrivees I sold on the Larrivee forum are in transit. Not going to count that deal as complete until they arrive intact. I have never had a single problem shipping or receiving a guitar, but it still makes me nervous as all get out.

Old 12-08-2018, 12:44 PM

It is done. The wait begins...

Amber, Black Tuners, Dual Source Pickup

Old 12-08-2018, 12:49 PM
Guest 928

Good. If it was easy, any fool could do it. It takes perseverance and patience to rearrange priorities and properties.
Old 12-08-2018, 01:12 PM

Old 12-08-2018, 01:24 PM

Those pirates sure have been handling a lot of these gems. if and when they (finally) arrive do they reek of rum and pipe tobacco?
Old 12-08-2018, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post
Those pirates sure have been handling a lot of these gems. if and when they (finally) arrive do they reek of rum and pipe tobacco?

Not sure..Mine came by Jet

Last edited by kramster; 12-08-2018 at 02:28 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber