The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 08-22-2019, 10:36 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB1 View Post
Why do a lot of solo acoustic guys use 2 speakers on poles instead of just 1, when 1 will do the job pretty adequately? Is it for wider coverage? You very rarely see just one powered speaker on a pole.
Hi JackB1

Who knows?

The dispersion of most speakers is wide enough for average venues if the speaker is fired directly at the center of the room from the center of the back of the stage.

It also eliminates the need for monitors. We've jacked ours up (on a metal tripod stand) till the bottom of the cabinet is about 6-8 feet off the ground directly behind us for years and it works great.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 08-22-2019, 10:52 AM

When you put it up that high, do you angle it downwards towards the audience?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi JackB1
We've jacked ours up (on a metal tripod stand) till the bottom of the cabinet is about 6-8 feet off the ground directly behind us for years and it works great.

Old 08-22-2019, 11:59 AM

Quote:
When you put it up that high, do you angle it downwards towards the audience?
I've been using one speaker high and behind for years. It is not angled down.

High and behind means no floor monitors. No floor monitor means not directing sound at your ears with your guitar in the way. And that means your guitar's SBT is not going into feedback generally ever.

I also believe you should leave some corners of every venue relatively quiet for the people who did not come to hear music...
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 08-22-2019, 01:25 PM
Charter Member

Late to this thread but I find the 8.2s and 12.2s to be pretty unbeatable for acoustic gigs. There's a few other guys in my area who gig with them and when I hear them I'm impressed with the clarity as well.

I personally have never gigged with 10.2s, and sometimes regret not getting them instead of 8.2s, but I got the KS112 sub for when I need extra thump with my 8.2s and after two years I still grin a little during sound checks. The plus side to the 8.2's vs the 10.2 is that you can put them beside you or slight behind and hear yourself great, whereas the 12.2s have a 90 degree projection path so you need monitors with those unless you're outdoors and but them high and behind. The 12.2's are some serious speakers and I barely ever break them out unless for outdoor gigs with a lot of people in attendance. The 8.2s with the sub is my favorite sound, overall, because how they disperse the sound.

-Award-winning songwriter/guitarist, Visual storyteller
-D’Addario, G7th and K&K Sound Artist
-Music on Spotify, Apple Music and YouTube: www.youtube.com/dustinfurlow
-New album "Serene" (Oct '23) and tablature
available at www.dustinfurlow.com
Old 08-22-2019, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Why do a lot of solo acoustic guys use 2 speakers on poles instead of just 1, when 1 will do the job pretty adequately? Is it for wider coverage? You very rarely see just one powered speaker on a pole.
When I was using a K12 it was just 1 on a pole. Definitely wider dispersion, more headroom, and additional warmth, particularly when playing outdoors.
Friedman WW Smallbox, Marshall 4212
Old 08-22-2019, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meb View Post
I am curious as to why the Electrovoice zxa1-90 is not mentioned much
in the small speaker threads. It seems at $499 and weighing in at
19 lbs, it should be on the short list. Thoughts?
Just thought I'd add to this. I looked at these and thought that a pair w' that little 12" sub would be a near perfect lightweight 'acoustic' setup. But reading online I found that there were more than a few mentions of cutout/shutdowns in hot humid conditions, which is pretty much the definition of a Sydney Summer.

Lovely small size and weight, good looking and sounding, but that worried me, so... Who knows, they may have been wonderful, but no internal fan...

As for a comment somewhere in the thread that a pair of 10's was beamy sounds like poor placement or gain settings to me. I have wandered around more than a few times to listen as others played through my rig and never struck a serious problem with this unless I was close and straight in front of said 10's. The same could likely be said of almost any speaker or amp.

Kris
Old 08-22-2019, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lodi_55 View Post
I do smaller gigs with my AER Compact 60 and larger gigs with my Schertler Roy.

I could not be more happy.
I also have the Roy for larger gigs, but I use an Elite Acoustics D6-8 for small spaces. Like you, I couldn't be happier.
Old 08-23-2019, 03:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisls View Post
Just thought I'd add to this. I looked at these and thought that a pair w' that little 12" sub would be a near perfect lightweight 'acoustic' setup. But reading online I found that there were more than a few mentions of cutout/shutdowns in hot humid conditions, which is pretty much the definition of a Sydney Summer.

Lovely small size and weight, good looking and sounding, but that worried me, so... Who knows, they may have been wonderful, but no internal fan...

As for a comment somewhere in the thread that a pair of 10's was beamy sounds like poor placement or gain settings to me. I have wandered around more than a few times to listen as others played through my rig and never struck a serious problem with this unless I was close and straight in front of said 10's. The same could likely be said of almost any speaker or amp.

Kris
Kris, Over the last 6 years, mine have done over 800 gigs and I've only had one overheat and shut down. I was doing an outdoor gig in the Central Queensland summer and it was in the direct sun being used as a monitor. I moved it into shade and let it cool down for 5 minutes or so and was good to go for the rest of the gig.

With the sub, it is a near perfect solo acoustic PA. I used to use a stompbox, and it was excellent, but rarely use a stompbox now, and if I do, I use my ELX12 or ELX15 powered bins. I sold the subs to fund the ELX15 purchase, and have never regretted it.
Old 08-23-2019, 02:01 PM

Why is a sub needed for a solo acoustic gig? Are there low frequencies produced by the guitar or voice that really benefit from the sub?

Also I'm curious why you stopped using a stomp box? I just got one and it adds something for sure, but it can get tiring

Quote:
Originally Posted by larren View Post
With the sub, it is a near perfect solo acoustic PA. I used to use a stompbox, and it was excellent, but rarely use a stompbox now, and if I do, I use my ELX12 or ELX15 powered bins. I sold the subs to fund the ELX15 purchase, and have never regretted it.
Old 08-23-2019, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Why is a sub needed for a solo acoustic gig? Are there low frequencies produced by the guitar or voice that really benefit from the sub?

Also I'm curious why you stopped using a stomp box? I just got one and it adds something for sure, but it can get tiring

The EV ZXA1s don't handle a stomp box very well (how I want the stompbox to sound), so I bought a pair of subs. I also do some duo work as a percussionist, so they were great for that. Got sick of dealing with low end feedback from my acoustic and having to EQ all the bottom end out, so stopped using the subs and used my ELX12s for the duo and bigger gigs. I hadn't used the subs for a year, so sold them and bought a pair of ELX15s. I prefer a tighter/punchier bottom end and kick drum/stompbox sound anyway.

Nearly every acoustic soloist around my area started using a stompbox, so I decided to stop to be different than the rest. I get my "thump" from my palm on the strings/bridge when I don't use the stompbox. I'm a drummer, so tend to play guitar quite percussively. I still use one for rowdier gigs, or if I know people are going to want to dance. I'll also use a stompbox and foot operated tambourine sometimes to change things up.
Old 08-24-2019, 01:12 PM

Hey Noledog I sent you a private message about the Air 10s. Could you please check it out. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noledog View Post
See my post #2... the PreSonus Air 10 is lighter then the QSC 10, plus the 10in sounds punchier imo. The Air 10 works for me, especially in conjunction to the Loudbox Performer which has an 8in, 5in and dome tweeter.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification